Dyle TV

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
Just saw a commercial for this. Basically it's a mobile tv tuner that lets you watch select local tv stations in select markets (the company has to come up with agreements with the local stations to access the content) No internet connection required.
http://www.dyle.tv/

I don't get it... If this service is carried on a broadcast signal, why bother with it rather than just picking up the OTA signals directly? (Or don't mobile devices have enough CPU power to handle a full ATSC stream? The USB bus certainly has enough bandwidth...)

I don't get it... If this service is carried on a broadcast signal, why bother with it rather than just picking up the OTA signals directly? (Or don't mobile devices have enough CPU power to handle a full ATSC stream? The USB bus certainly has enough bandwidth...)

Because they can't CHARGE you a subscription fee and make money, if it just picks up the normal OTA broadcast, silly! LOL.

I don't get it... If this service is carried on a broadcast signal, why bother with it rather than just picking up the OTA signals directly?

Clearly spoken as someone who has never tried to pick up ATSC on the road. ;)

They've added oodles of error correction to try to make it more robust. 1.83 Mbps becomes about 480 kbps due to the extra error correction in ATSC-MH.

- Trip

Oh, I know how terrible ATSC is. I just didn't know that anybody had attempted to fix it. Dyle's "FAQ" didn't answer any of MY questions...

Basically, I was just wondering what kind of signal they were broadcasting that was better than the ATSC signal.

The same ATSC signal with a bunch of extra error correction in a piece of it. That's why there's so much talk about ATSC 3.0, it would actually change to a more robust modulation scheme so you don't have so much padding to try and fix the ATSC signal.

- Trip

From some of the reading I have done, this would be what they would want to use for 4KTV, which requires more bandwidth.

My question is, will this also help those that cannot receive very good signal for a stable picture or those that cannot quite get a good enough signal to lock a signal to have a better chance of receiving a better signal?

ATSC 3.0 would do that; Dyle would not. 4K would require new modulation, for higher throughput in the allotted 6 MHz, as well as new compression (HEVC).

Given that 4K doesn't really do much for most people and, in my opinion, will probably be only slightly more attractive than 3D, I would expect to see people use the extra bandwidth and compression for more channels in standard HD (1080i/720p or even 1080p) rather than for 4K.

- Trip

FOX4 Dallas is running a story on DYLE today $129.95 for unit 6 Dallas channels are available and free till 2014. No announced monthly fees yet possibly on the 5PM. news.

When I posted earlier I was meaning the ATSC 3.0 standard that they are trying to come out with which would allow greater compression to fit more on the same amount of space. ATSC 3.0 is not going to help those with weaker signals is it?

Well, it would be OFDM-based, so it would be more resilient in the face of multipath and the like, but probably wouldn't help in the fringes where low signal strength is the big problem.

- Trip

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)