E* Asks FCC to move E8 to 77w

E2 has to be getting low on fuel also.

It was launched in 1996.

E2 is also only capable of providing even transponders.

I wonder what their plans for 148 will be.

E1 at 148 is also long in the tooth (1996). With no rumors of new satellite construction, one has to guess that they will either abandon 148 or stick an old satellite there as a placeholder when Ciel 2 fires up.

E1 at 148 is also long in the tooth (1996). With no rumors of new satellite construction, one has to guess that they will either abandon 148 or stick an old satellite there as a placeholder when Ciel 2 fires up.
With all the locals (8 markets) they have on 148, they'll need to do something there.

Ciel-2 at 129 will take care of that.
I would agree with that, except that the huge majority of those people do not have a Dish 1000.
Moving markets from 105 & 121 to 110 (when E10 launched) wasn't a big deal, as most people had something pointed to 110. But most people do not have something pointed to 129.

To move them from 148 to 129 would be a huge repoint effort, and likely involve everyone in those 8 markets. They still have channels mirrored on 105 & 121 for those that moved to 129, since not everyone was updated to Dish 1000's yet.

Dish isn't giving up 148. I don't know for sure if the FCC's "use it or lose it" requirement extends to orbital slots so long after they've been assigned. If DISH totally vacated 148, someone would be appealing to the FCC for rights to broadcast from there.

To move them from 148 to 129 would be a huge repoint effort, and likely involve everyone in those 8 markets. They still have channels mirrored on 105 & 121 for those that moved to 129, since not everyone was updated to Dish 1000's yet.

Nope...not any more. :) Two weeks ago all the local markets remaining at 105º and 121º were removed for good. They all moved to 129º with the exception of Providence which moved to 61.5º.

In an effort to be complete here, all the locals had a near 6 month transition period for re-points and for the most part, the locals were mirrored at 129º/61.5º almost since the beginning of time.

2008 Changes to the Dish Channel Chart
From 5/28/08
105° was cleared of ALL channels except TEST 5990, D105 7000 and EPG 36861. All the local markets that were at 105° are now only available at 129°.
121° was cleared of ALL LOCAL channels. Only two international channels, on Public Interest channel, business TV and a few test channels remain at this location.

See ya
Tony

121° was cleared of ALL LOCAL channels. Only two international channels, on Public Interest channel, business TV and a few test channels remain at this location.
Any idea why there are still two International channels there ?

One would think that the idea of clearing the slot was to stop leasing it...

Any idea why there are still two International channels there ?

One would think that the idea of clearing the slot was to stop leasing it...
EchoStar 9 at 121 west is owned by EchoStar. They could be leasing it from themselves since the split. Mostly, I think they just want to stop the SuperDiSH. Wachovia still has one outside the bank here.

Dish isn't giving up 148. I don't know for sure if the FCC's "use it or lose it" requirement extends to orbital slots so long after they've been assigned. If DISH totally vacated 148, someone would be appealing to the FCC for rights to broadcast from there.

I think technology may make make 148 redundant. Way back in the early days of BSS (DBS) satellite television, the available technology had the FCC thinking that a whole bunch of satellites would be needed for Western Conus. Then the high power Conus satellites were developed along with spot multiple beams for each transponder and that changed the picture with no need for the western satellites for Alaska and Hawaii.

This is a copy of the original plan from way back.

rein_fig1.gif

EchoStar 9 at 121 west is owned by EchoStar. They could be leasing it from themselves since the split. Mostly, I think they just want to stop the SuperDiSH. Wachovia still has one outside the bank here.

One of the 10k's mentioned that Dish would be dropping off of some of the satellites they spun off to Echostar. Said that they hoped it would help Echostar be able to peddle the excess capacity easier.

I think technology may make make 148 redundant. Way back in the early days of BSS (DBS) satellite television, the available technology had the FCC thinking that a whole bunch of satellites would be needed for Western Conus. Then the high power Conus satellites were developed along with spot multiple beams for each transponder and that changed the picture with no need for the western satellites for Alaska and Hawaii.

This is a copy of the original plan from way back.

rein_fig1.gif

Yeah but if Charlie doesn't use it, someone else will want the 32 transponders there and that would open up the market to more competition, something I doubt Charlie wants considering how tough he's got it with just one national competitor.

Yeah but if Charlie doesn't use it, someone else will want the 32 transponders there and that would open up the market to more competition, something I doubt Charlie wants considering how tough he's got it with just one national competitor.

That idea of a third DBS company worked real well for Rainbow, didn't it ?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That idea of a third DBS company worked real well for Rainbow, didn't it ?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
That's probably an argument for a different day. I think VOOM came out too soon as HDTVs hadn't penetrated enough homes to give them the foothold they needed. Also, lack of carriage of mainstream SD channels made them a turnoff in homes that had HD sets but still wanted mainstream content as well. They were pretty limited in capacity broadcasting only off of 61.5. If they had got their start by using some of the later technology such as FSS, etc., they might have had the capacity to really do something. It was also hurtful to them to not have HD locals or any locals for that matter in most markets. Working with a few retailers, I can tell you that HD locals are what sells HD satellite systems.

You've just given exactly the reasons why 148 is not enough for a third DBS company, so any speculation that E* are holding on to such slots to prevent a new DBS company is silly.

Now, if the speculation was that he is holding it to prevent D* from getting it, that is at least defensible.

You've just given exactly the reasons why 148 is not enough for a third DBS company, so any speculation that E* are holding on to such slots to prevent a new DBS company is silly.

Now, if the speculation was that he is holding it to prevent D* from getting it, that is at least defensible.

Alright, go with that then.

It wouldn't be impossible to do a satellite service with 32 transponders especially if running an all MPEG4 system. Look at DirecTV, they still run their core system with 32 transponders at 101. Their basic 18" dish is still the most popular. Imagine if DirecTV was all MPEG4 on 101. VOOM didn't have 32 transponders and they were all HD which demanded more capacity per channel.

Alright, go with that then.

It wouldn't be impossible to do a satellite service with 32 transponders especially if running an all MPEG4 system. Look at DirecTV, they still run their core system with 32 transponders at 101. Their basic 18" dish is still the most popular. Imagine if DirecTV was all MPEG4 on 101. VOOM didn't have 32 transponders and they were all HD which demanded more capacity per channel.

And the existing high power DBS slots are protected from interference from future "tweeners". And, the FCC temporarily froze new satellite slot applications a couple of years ago so existing licensed slots are crown jewels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)