E* beefing up advertising on local TV here in Columbus OH

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mattb

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Columbus, OH, USA
Now that locals are avail, they are running a lot of spots, Just saw an ad for lOCALS "Now avail" in Columbus Ohio, on the local Fox station durning the news.. Funny thing they showed a dancing Dish 500 in the commerical, little do people know :p they get a pretty sweet lookin "superdish"

Question. What does it mean that "locals are available"?

If I can pick up COlumbus stations on my OTA does this mean that I am not allowed to get them thru my Dish?

Thats just how they worded things, i think it means now people have an alternative to Direct TV and Cable for the locals in Columbus, they can now get them with E* (dish network)

I was going to mention something about the dish they were showing in the commercial that it could be considered false advertisement but forgot when other things came up.

tonyrice said:
Question. What does it mean that "locals are available"?

If I can pick up COlumbus stations on my OTA does this mean that I am not allowed to get them thru my Dish?
Mattb has it correct. The locals via Dish cost extra ($5.99/mo) but that may simplify things for you or others in your household (my wife is always grumbling that it's "too complicated" to watch the locals which I currently get OTA). Also, if you have a DVR then that means you can record the locals as easily as you record any other Dish channel. And, some people want to get rid of their OTA antenna and can do so, if desired.

Stargazer said:
I was going to mention something about the dish they were showing in the commercial that it could be considered false advertisement but forgot when other things came up.
Well, for some markets the commercial is accurate, but certainly not for Columbus that has the locals on 105 and thus requires a SuperDish.

They need one of those fast talkers at the end or the fine print that says "antenna shown may not represent equipment that will actually be installed" or somesuch.

YoooHooo.. still confused here.

I thought that if I can pick up COlumbus channels, NBC, CBS, ABC thru my OTA, then I am LEGALLY not allowed to get them thru my Dish?

tonyrice said:

I thought that if I can pick up COlumbus channels, NBC, CBS, ABC thru my OTA, then I am LEGALLY not allowed to get them thru my Dish?

If you are in the Columbus DMA then you are allowed to also get them via Dish or DirecTV. Doing so would allow you to use a PVR to record/timeshift your local stations with something like a 510 or 721.

tonyrice said:

I think the rule your getting confused about is if your able to get Columbus OTA you cant get Other City locals via satellite... Your able to now get Columbus OH Locals on Dish as they are now offering Columbus locals.

video62 said:
They need one of those fast talkers at the end or the fine print that says "antenna shown may not represent equipment that will actually be installed" or somesuch.
Yes. Someone might believe that they would be getting an animated dancing dish installed. :rolleyes:

I suppose E* should pay the animators to update the dancer for the new markets ... or perhaps go with a different themed animation ... one with a cape. (And a disclaimer "Dish does not actually fly")

JL

Basically if you can get your local market on Dish then its ok to purchase them, if not then your local market is not available but your distant market is available as an alternative if you cannot pick them up on an antenna and if they determine you cannot pick them up on an antenna in the database. Being able to purchase your locals on Dish is the same thing as being able to have your locals on cable.

today (17th) in the columbus ohio newspaper dish has a full page ad advertising the locals and new subscriber promotions

Has anyone in Columbus got the locals yet? If so how is the quality?

I have a SD install scheduled for 12/1.

Locals look horrible to me no matter what market you are in . Black and white tv's even have better PQ. I'm not sure why this question get's asked so often.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)