E* does not care about NY

alexgmny

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
NYC
Why is E* always leaving the NY area last? E* was the last company to sign SNY. YES is still not on E*. Now all these RSN in HD are coming up and SNY, YES, MSG, etc are nowhere to be found.

The Mets are 4-0 and I cant see them in HD. It kills me that other mets fans with cable and Direct TV can see them in HD withou any problem. Why is E* always having problems with NY?

It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that geographically New York is the last area in the country to have rollouts now could it? Given that DISH rollouts usually start in California or Denver and then move it... Nah, couldn't be.

E*

E* Does not give two sheets about any sports, All they see is adding Customers and Revenue. Thats why they dont have Sunday Ticket, If they would have fought harder they probably would have it.

Put up an antenna. See them in better than HD, see them in person!

As with YES for the Yankees, some mets game will only be on SNY. Getting over to Shea or Yankee stadiums is a hastle.

Personally I hate all the teams going to "Cable" only channels.

NY sports channels charge more than all the other channels.

NY cable systems just pass along the extra costs to customers.

Dish Network is a national provider, and they try to be the low cost option for TV service.

So, they don't want to pass on the extra costs for NY sports to all customers nationwide, many of whom do not watch sports at all, and most of whom do not watch NY sports teams (unless they come to their town).

It doesn't cost any more to make a NY sports telecast than an LA sports telecast, and yet they want to charge more for the Yankees than the Dodgers.

Any psychologists out there care to hazard a guess as to why people always blame Dish Network first ?

Dish Network is a national provider, and they try to be the low cost option for TV service.

So, they don't want to pass on the extra costs for NY sports to all customers nationwide, many of whom do not watch sports at all, and most of whom do not watch NY sports teams (unless they come to their town).

It doesn't cost any more to make a NY sports telecast than an LA sports telecast, and yet they want to charge more for the Yankees than the Dodgers.

Any psychologists out there care to hazard a guess as to why people always blame Dish Network first ?
Cost for the RSN is essentially distributed over the number of customers you have in that area.

Not sure how many customers Dish has in each market, but I suspect they have more in the NY RS area than most other areas. Somewhat higher Total prices can be justified, but not significantly higher per customer costs. So SNY was signed but not YES. Not sure what the delay on HD is about thought.

Last edited:
It's not that they don't care, it's just that they made the decision at the time of the launch of YES to pass on it. Because of this, cable and D* snapped up all the NY area Yankee fans. Why incentive does Dish have to add YES now when most all of the Yankees fans are with Direct and cable? It's not like many are likely to switch and if they added YES tomorrow, essentially all they'd be doing is adding cost to NY area subs who were happy without the Yanks. It's a smart decision by E* given the facts and figures. This is the path I was worried E* was going to go with MASN if they didn't get it up this season since the Orioles moved to that channel, but fortunately they decided keeping the sub base in this area was more valuable than passing on MASN. That being said, I do hate it for E* subs in NYC who are Yankees fans; I know I would have canceled Dish long ago if I was in your shoes.

With Verizon investing big money in FIOS tv in the greater New York City area (NJ etc). Its seem kind of dumb for charlie to pay big bucks for sports when all he is fighting over are left over crumbs. Cable companies such as Cablevision are losing large amounts of subs. Directv is taking a hit too. (they have a partnership with Verizon). Charlie knows where he can gain subs and which areas (such as new York) are a lost cause

With Verizon investing big money in FIOS tv in the greater New York City area (NJ etc). Its seem kind of dumb for charlie to pay big bucks for sports when all he is fighting over are left over crumbs. Cable companies such as Cablevision are losing large amounts of subs. Directv is taking a hit too. (they have a partnership with Verizon). Charlie knows where he can gain subs and which areas (such as new York) are a lost cause

I can't wait unitil FIOS tv is available in my area. So i can dump the Dish, especially since E* doesn't give a crap about NY/NJ subs ... :mad:

How many other regional or for that matter, "local" networks, like YES does Dish carry ?? Does DirecTV or cablecos carry them ?? Answering TWC or Comcast doesn't count.... That is, counting TWC or Comcast outside of the NYC region.

Oh yes it does. Everything costs more here. Its all relative. You just have to fork it over or go somewhere else.

It's not that they don't care, it's just that they made the decision at the time of the launch of YES to pass on it. Because of this, cable and D* snapped up all the NY area Yankee fans. Why incentive does Dish have to add YES now when most all of the Yankees fans are with Direct and cable?

That is what I've been writing here for going on two years now. E* has lost the YES customers. Adding YES at this time does not do much for E*, except for making them a more attractive choice for new customers. That would help a bit, but YES' pricing policies would have the entire NY region paying for YES, when few of E*'s current customer base really want the channel.

The time for E* to add YES was before they lost those customers to D* and cable.

To illustrate (with fake numbers)

Let's say E*, D*, and Cable each have 1,000,000 customers and 200,000 of them want YES. YES is going to charge $1/month for every one of your NY customers, so each company would have to pay $1,000,000/month to YES.

D* would look at it and see that for everyone wanting YES, the cost to D* is $5/month. They conclude that it is worth it to attract new customers. Cable does the same, but E* does not.

Two years later, after some customer growth and with many E* subs migrating ...

D* has 1,200,000 customers with 300,000 watching YES.
Cable has 1,200,000 customers with 300,000 watching YES.
E* has 1,000,000 customers with 50,000 wanting YES.

Now the cost per month for each YES customer is:
$4/month for D*
$4/month for Cable
$20/month for E*

So if E* jumps in now, a lot of non-YES customers will have to subsidize a relatively few YES customers.

The content providers love to soak the NY/NJ/CT subscribers....

Right now, E* is paying for FoxSportsNY, MSG, AND SNY. They don't carry YES.

E* is paying for three networks where most markets have one, and they get crap for not having the fourth.

I realize they are trying to maintain national pricing, but it might be time to put a disclaimer in to state "New York area residents slightly higher" and charge a higher rate in this area.
This might give them enough financial leeway to add YES for the Yankee Faithful who haven't jumped ship yet (or future subscribers who bypass E* due to the lack of YES).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts