E! HD, VERSUS HD, GOLF CHANNEL HD, STYLE HD and G4 HD on December 8, 2008

hdtvtechno

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Comcast Networks is proud to announce the launch of E! HD, VERSUS HD, GOLF CHANNEL HD, STYLE HD and G4 HD on December 8, 2008!

With the excitement surrounding HD programming, these must have networks are sure to enhance your current lineup! Call your Comcast Networks rep today to get some of your favorite networks in the clarity of high definition.

Comcast Networks:

:up

As shown above, all will launch 12/8/08:

G4 HD = Comcast's Video Game Channel. Think Voom's Gameplay + some anime and other sci-fi shows.

Versus HD = Comcast's national "sports" net. The old OLN network + NHL and some MMA.

I love MMA! Do they have UFC or WEC or some other league?
Not sure, I don't follow it much... according to wikipedia, it looks like some WEC events (link).. or you could check out versus website.

As for G4, they had the SD rights to Heroes repeats, Mojo the HD exclusive rights. Since comcast has a stake in both, I wonder if Heroes reruns on G4HD will be HD or upconverted SD....

Not sure, I don't follow it much... according to wikipedia, it looks like some WEC events (link).. or you could check out versus website.

Thanks for the links! The WEC has some fighters that are just as good as the UFC. Brian Stann is a monster who might have more knock out power than anyone in the UFC. I saw one fight where Stann was getting punched 10 times in a row, and out of nowhere the opponent falls to the ground knocked out. They had to replay it in slow motion to see Stann throw a punch in the middle of all the punches he was taking that rocked his opponent and KO'ed him. Great fight.

I'm excited about Versus HD. I'll be watching it a lot.

I wonder if this means that the local Comcast cable systems will aggressively add these. We got a bunch in April, but are still lagging the sat companies.

hmm... if they add the five in my comcast system. I would imagine Style/E/G4 will be sharing a good ole 3:1 channel (while probably moving Style SD into digital only) and I am pretty sure when Golf and VS split from their shared HD channel, they go from the slightly better 2:1 it currently is to a subpar 3:1 (of course Golf HD's quality is sub-par to start with).

What do you mean 2:1 or 3:1? I didn't think most of Golf Channel's HD was that bad. I don't understand why it is sharing a channel with VS to begin with. I'm tired of watching the Thursday and Friday rounds in HD and then having to watch Saturday and Sunday in SD. Now with this 2:1 to 3:1 (whatever that is), will it still be good?

2:1 and 3:1 refer to QAM compression schemes. In a 2:1 scheme there are two high definition channels to every one QAM channel. Likewise, 3:1 is three HD channels to one QAM channel. In the 3:1 scheme the PQ is worse because of the cramped bandwidth.

Just because the networks launched, doesn't mean your Comcast will get it. My Comcast announced on the bill that Golf and VS would split, and MOJO would go away on Dec 1. No mention of the others.

So I end up losing 1 channel I watch and get two that I don't :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)