E* no need to Wow us, please - bring back DishHD!

riffjim4069 said:
Well, my four year old Mits Diamond CRT still works perfectly, and the SED that I had planned to purchase this fall to replace it (I made these plans two years ago) is still vaporware.

You were a bit on the optimistic side on that one.

What I was saying is that this is the last hurrah for CRT. Potentially across the entire CRT market, from econo sets to mid-priced SD to entry HD to high-end HD and including rear projection.

Looking out 5-7 years, it is hard to see any market niche for CRT to play in. Perhaps the best chance will be in the sub-$250 range for 20"-27" CRTs with tuners, if LCD can't get a 20-24" product down close to $200. But I think they will get down to that range.

Mine is only 18 months old. I am hoping to get at least a couple more years out of it before I look to get something larger. SED is definitely not going to be at reasonable prices by then, if it is even out. But maybe something like the new DLPs with the LED lamps will be a lot cheaper. A 55"-60" with full 1920x1080 & greatly diminished rainbow effects would be attractive.

Time to post a positive note.

I recorded "Serenity" off of HBO HD and it is pretty good. Only minor artifacting and with good detail. The movie, as was the show, is grainy in places, but that is how they shot it.

riffjim4069 said:
On a positive note, I posted the Washington DC HD LIL were looking pretty good these days.

Yup. And not one moment too soon as from my vantage point (greater Falls Church, VA area), Verizon's FIOS seems to be going in all around me.

The Dallas game and the Manning Bowl both had fine PQ yesterday - now if the 'Skins game will just look as good...

--Doug

My eleven year old Sony CRT FP still has as good a picture as any other technology can produce. It is only surpassed by better CRT projectors.

I can add to the choir by saying that I plan to hang onto my Mits 65" CRT until its last dying day. I'm happy to give up the real eastate in my viewing room to allow for its size. It's going to take a darn big coffin to bury it though.

riffjim,

If you are going to buy SED in 2007 (first of all, good luck with that), then you had best bring piles of cash with you. I've heard rumors that the 55" Toshiba may start with a list price of around $9K-$10K. But they may lower it to close to $7K in order to generate some sales in order to get the technology adopted at all.

The big fear of SED-fans is that this is proving to be very expensive in production. They were aiming at the high-end plasma market as a starting price point, but the prices for plasmas are dropping quicker than expected and eroding the potential sales of SED. There remains the chance that if production costs remain higher than any reasonable sales price, that SED sets may never materialize.

Sean Mota said:
I will never buy a set larger than 42" anymore. It makes little sense to do so with all these HD Lite channels.

I hear you.

I never went above 32" on SD for the same reason. Watched both D* and E* on multiple different 36" and larger sets ... like the 40" Sony CRT and a few 42" ED plasma and LCD-RP sets. Couldn't stand to watch it. Even the 32" was pushing it a lot. Watching from 10' away helped. Didn't want to sit any closer.

Watching E* "HD" on a 42" Panasonic plasma might be an okay experience.

I wonder what standard E* (or D*) is using to determine PQ for their HD channels. If they are using something like a 32" LCD 720p panel or a 30" 16:9 CRT from a viewing distance of 8'-10' then it probably looks fairly good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)