E* Takes HD Dump.. How does this effect D*.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

darrencp22

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Lockport, NY (Buffalo Suburb)
Looks like E will make some major headway today by adding a bunch of HD channels. A couple of them D* does not offer: Travel Channel and WFN.

Good move by E*, forcing some competition! If D can squeeze a channel of 2 in before septemeber, wonder if they will.

I'm still very happy I made the move from E... the channels did not include three of my favorites (MSG HD, FX HD, and YES).

So anyways, does anyone anticipate D doing anything small before September as E11 looks more and more in the clear?

I would expect travel to get added. I dont know about WFN, but I heard that Outdoor 2 HD is on its way. Im expecting Fox News HD also, but I dont know how much room they have left over at 99 untill the new bird gets there. Once when D*11 gets there in september you can bet your bottom line that we will be geting some hd :)

I don't think it moves it much, to be honest. ABC Family is a diff, too.

**maybe** D* moves some migrations up if there's enough flack, but I just don't see it. D11 is too close.

and because of the new sat they should be able to create some good distance between E and D. that is why even with the new launches today i still might leave to D seeing how the future still looks brighter for D

The best thing from a marketing perspective for Directv to do is hold off any additions. Once 11 is up and humming make a big splash and add 5 or 6 channels at once.

If they add them one at a time it'll be a ho-hum thing. They can get much more mileage out of a big splash.

I think we as subs see more of a competition with Direct and Dish than there really is.

I really don't think either providers loses sleep if one launches a certain channel like we think they do. They know in time both will have the same amount. For right now though, Direct is still looking very good.

I sure hope this puts pressure on D* as I felt lately D* has been complacent on its HD lead. I hope they move up the D11 schedule to add all the HDs out there to maintain the HD lead. I never thought E* will end up carry a few mainstream (non-VOOM) HDs that D* still does not carry yet.

One thing I can feel good about is when I switched from E* to D* a little over three months ago, lack of HD was not the main reason, rather the limit on HD tuner lease, and cost. As a result with the AAA deal I got, even compared to the E* $30 HD-only pack (which has a lot of limitation) I am still going to be ahead in cost-saving for a long time to come.

Travel Channel HD

Damn-
DISH has an HD Direct doesn't?? F! :D

Don't care about World Fishing or Hallmark, but really would like to see Travel on DirecTV soon.

Good move by E*, forcing some competition! If D can squeeze a channel of 2 in before septemeber, wonder if they will.

I would expect travel to get added. I dont know about WFN, but I heard that Outdoor 2 HD is on its way. Im expecting Fox News HD also, but I dont know how much room they have left over at 99 untill the new bird gets there. Once when D*11 gets there in september you can bet your bottom line that we will be geting some hd :)

And...how does E* have room in any of their birds? If D* is squeezing all they can out of D10 than E* is packing their satellite like a clown car. Unless E* magically got more satellites and transponder licenses, you've got to believe that D* could probably add another 50 channels at the bitrates E* will be sending out.

And...how does E* have room in any of their birds? If D* is squeezing all they can out of D10 than E* is packing their satellite like a clown car. Unless E* magically got more satellites and transponder licenses, you've got to believe that D* could probably add another 50 channels at the bitrates E* will be sending out.
Dish moved NY locals off of conus and placed them on spot, and they got rid of sky angel. These two things alone freed up a lot of space.

Direct cannot move NY locals off of conus because of the DNS service they provide. Direct can remove some PPV channels to make space, especially once their VOD gets out of beta mode. I don't see them doing this however, as PPV brings money. Whereas, channels like the Travel channel costs them money.

I think they've been clear that there is nothing much coming until this fall when D11 launches. Then, hopefully we'll se another fall like last year, where they launched in bunches for a few months. There is still alot they can add if they want to STAY the leader.

"E* Takes HD Jump.. How does this effect D*."

I say it doesn't nor should it; DirecTV has a great product and have proven their their roll out plans are working just fine. Although I know one person's gold is another's trash; but its not like these are must have.

When the latest CES opened a hole in the HR20, it's been widely reported that D*'s bitrate was around 6-7 MBPS. Unless you have Apple TV, you won't ever see anything worse than that. E* is consistently around 9-10 MBPS, but they downrez to 1440 x 1080. I guess it's give and take, but neither should be bragging about quality.

Why would Echostars addition of 22 HD channels affect Directv? Directv has 95 (I realize that includes sports package channels I think) HD channels and will gain many more in a few months probably. I think the people who switched to Directv aren't switching, Directv customers like what they have and aren't going anywhere, and those who stuck with Cheap Charlie this long will be happy with what they are getting now. I doubt any of this adds much to the thread, but the title of it struck me, thus the reason for my post.

D*'s said they'll have capacity for 150 national HD with D11 in 2008 and 200 with D12 in 2009. All I've seen E* say is 100 national HD by the end of 2008, why would I want to switch to a provider that appears to not have the capacity to match D*???

D*'s said they'll have capacity for 150 national HD with D11 in 2008 and 200 with D12 in 2009. All I've seen E* say is 100 national HD by the end of 2008, why would I want to switch to a provider that appears to not have the capacity to match D*???

To be clear, D* said they will have the ability to carry 150 HD channels with D11, NOT that they would HAVE 150 HD channels. E* said they will HAVE 100 HD channels at the end of 2008...big difference. We still don't know what E*'s capacity is or will be. They could have the same capacity as D* does after the next sat launch.

They (DirecTV) already has about that many HD chnls, capacity remaining on DirecTV-10, soon to be open for biz capacity on DirecTV-11 and yet to be launched (2009) capacity DirecTV-12; so whats the beef again? And how is Dish going to match all that capacity? And way are we all in a pissing contest over it? I can't believe you guys a pissing and moaning over a handful of niche chnls one way or the other! Just go watch TV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts