E* Takes HD Dump.. How does this effect D*.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
E* took an HD jump alright and then crashed into the ground! 10 VOOM channels removed.

DISH Network -- Dish HD

So they made up for capacity by yanking channels off, while adding channels. Wonder how much longer the remaining 5 stick around?

The removal of VOOM occurred after the new addition, I will not be surprised they add 10 more new HDs soon, like the premium movie HDs, where the real money can be made, not like VOOM.

When the latest CES opened a hole in the HR20, it's been widely reported that D*'s bitrate was around 6-7 MBPS. Unless you have Apple TV, you won't ever see anything worse than that. E* is consistently around 9-10 MBPS, but they downrez to 1440 x 1080. I guess it's give and take, but neither should be bragging about quality.

IIRC,
DirecTV is reported to run 5 mpeg4 HD per 38 Mbps transponder = 7.6 Mbps
Dish Network is reported to run 7 mpeg4 HD per 43 Mbps trans ponder = 6.1 Mbps

Now what WOULD be funny - would be for Directv and Voom to strike some kind of a deal ....

;)

Not a chance, VOOM is doomed, if for the second time. VOOM was part of the deal to get the Rainbow satellite for cheap for Charlie, now it has served its purpose and should be put to rest.

This is how DISH can get to 100 HD count without any new satellite. That along with the $29.99 HD pack can pose a serious threat to all HD carriers including DirecTV.

It is a good thing for all of us.

Not a chance, VOOM is doomed,

That's the point - without Dish .. voom know that they are dead in the water ... i would guess that they would be open to any and or all offers in order to simply survive ... I don't expect it to happen ... but it would certainly make me smile if Directv were able to pickup Voom for a fraction of the price that Dish were paying ...

By attempting to kill off Voom - Dish could hand Directv the Voom suite for next to nothing .... if we follow the logic and assume that they could pay pennies on the dollar for them ... how many disgruntled Dish subs would it take to make the acquisition "profitable" for them ?

They are probably not even a little bit interested in Voom .. but at what point does it become crazy not to ?

:hungry:

Direct cannot move NY locals off of conus because of the DNS service they provide.
DIRECTV cannot move NY locals off of CONUS (MPEG2, actually) because they can't install MDU systems fast enough. Ka band opened a lot of doors, but it slammed some too.

That's the point - without Dish .. voom know that they are dead in the water ... i would guess that they would be open to any and or all offers in order to simply survive ... I don't expect it to happen ... but it would certainly make me smile if Directv were able to pickup Voom for a fraction of the price that Dish were paying ...

By attempting to kill off Voom - Dish could hand Directv the Voom suite for next to nothing .... if we follow the logic and assume that they could pay pennies on the dollar for them ... how many disgruntled Dish subs would it take to make the acquisition "profitable" for them ?

They are probably not even a little bit interested in Voom .. but at what point does it become crazy not to ?

:hungry:

Only if D* has too much bandwidth to spare now, but they don't. There are still many HDs not on D*, most HBO ones come to mind. If you heard Charlie all the VOOMers combined can not compare to the SciFiHD base, who cares?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)