E* to start donwrezzing??

OdiOdin said:
You must also remember the intelligence level of those involved in the DRM crowd. I mean they tried to copy protect cd's with an autorun program :yes and even initially threatened legal action against a kid for writing a paper saying that autrun can be disabled by holding down the shift key. ...
Oh Gawd! I forgot about THAT! Yeah they are real idiots.

Nothing to worry about then - some 6 year old will come out with a hack box 3 days after the first one hits the streets (remember the video "stabilizers"?).

hehe, yes I was a wee bit young back then though :p

It appears there isn't a purchasable hack out there as of yet. This is most likely because HDCP content isn't out there yet. BUT! I did find plenty of security alerts confirming what I have said here. HDCP has already been pwned. :D

"Intel's High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a specification for authentication and encryption of multimedia streams. Content encryption and authentication of a playback device are based on a public/private key pair.

Authentication is accomplished by a linear combination of private key values, based on the public key. As a direct result, being able to express an arbitrary public key as a linear combination of known public/private key pairs allows an attacker to authenticate as the arbitrary device.

This results in a large number of possible exploits, with varying degrees of computation required. As an example, an attacker able to eavesdrop on an encrypted stream may compute the shared secret, and view the decrypted content.

Although a computationally efficient algorithm has not yet been published, it may also be possible to create new, valid keys that are a linear combination of known values. Currently this may be done by enumerating all possible well formed public keys, and testing for validity."

http://xforce.iss.net/xforce/xfdb/7612

HookedOnTV said:
I would be surprised if they did this at this point. The idea is that the analog outs are "unprotected" but today there isn't even a way to record HD resolution content from analog. The only possible benefit is to television manufacturers who might get some sales.

There is an semi-easy way, but it is out of reach for most people because of price. YPbPr to HD-SDI adapters allow you to convert analog HD via component out to digital HD-SDI uncompressed. This is a digital protocol used in the broadcast/editing industry. Once it is HDSDI it can be converted to just about anything. There are all sorts of HD-SDI to XXX converters also. They run about $2K (or more depending on vendor) a piece and you have to have a pretty good system (fast and lots of disk space) to capture HD-SDI in real time. You can then compress it (mpeg2, 4, etc).

Overall a manual process to do anything with it, but it does work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)