E* to start donwrezzing??

dispatcher_21

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Walla Walla,WA
I read on the HDTV Hardware forum at AVS Forum that E* will start to downrez on component outputs when they enable HDCP this summer. Has anyone here heard about this happening? I hope that this is wrong because my TV only has component inputs and I would be really pissed. Supposedly, it will downrezz 1080i to 540i and 720p to 380p or something like that. Anyways, I cant believe that any company would do this since a)the FCC isn't making them b)most die hard HD people bought the first sets with only component inputs. Anyways any info or comments would be appreciated.

Crock. I would safely say lawsuits would flow like water if ANYONE did this without the FXX mandating it, and even then, it would be challenged.

This could also happen if the content providers require it. Yes, it's annoying as hell, but really shouldn't surprise anyone at this point - it's been discussed for well over a year).

When I picked up my projector (a year ago), I had already waited an extra 6 months for DVI/HDCP to become available/affordable.

Has there been an official announcment from Echostar?

hancox said:
Crock. I would safely say lawsuits would flow like water if ANYONE did this without the FXX mandating it, and even then, it would be challenged.

Would there be any basis for a lawsuit? Is there some legal reason they have to give you 1080i?

Here's another thought...

What would this do to the model 6000 people? If the down-rezzing is forced, my guess is that Echostar would offer an upgrade to 811 deal.

If it's somehow grandfathered in, then the value of the box would be thru the roof.

David_Levin said:
Would there be any basis for a lawsuit? Is there some legal reason they have to give you 1080i?
My speculation is that such a suit would have to be against the FCC itself under some sort of fair use provisions. If it's Congress that does it, I don't know how to fight that.

Is this pure speculation? Is there any evidence or official comment or piece of document that someone could point to? Could this be FUD?

I would be surprised if they did this at this point. The idea is that the analog outs are "unprotected" but today there isn't even a way to record HD resolution content from analog. The only possible benefit is to television manufacturers who might get some sales.

David_Levin said:
Here's another thought...

What would this do to the model 6000 people? If the down-rezzing is forced, my guess is that Echostar would offer an upgrade to 811 deal.

If it's somehow grandfathered in, then the value of the box would be thru the roof.
Which would still be useless to most people unless the have a DVI input for there tv's. I would say it is safe to say that the majority of 6000 owners have pre -DVI tvs to boot.

Only shows that have the "Broadcast Flag" on them would be downrezzed. Meaning that individual studios and content providers will make the decision as to whether or not their invididual work will have it. If a Studio like Disney says "We trust the consumer and won't activate the flag" then Disney programming won't be downrezzed. It's supposed to let the marketplace determine the best way to handle content protection. So the good news is that it is possible that viewers will be able to vote with their eyes, and not support anything that is Flagged, and send Hollywood a message. I doubt that would really happen though.

Edit to add: This isn't just an Echostar thing. Content providers can withold programming from distributors that won't implemend HDCP.

I maybe wrong, but HDCP doesn't affect the component outputs from a sat/cable receiver. They only have to pass along the broadcast flag on DVI so that the component outputs on your TV get down converted.

It's possible that some content providers might be pushing to get rid of analog completely... sometimes they forget how much easier it is to rip digital broadcast, even copyright protected ones, with a computer :rolleyes:

I just read an article the other day from some pompous broadcast exec who said that he and his colleagues were fed up with getting ripped off by the american consumer sharing their content. I'm looking for the link now.

I saw something on a network news magazine the other night where some movie exec thinks that there's like 150,000 movies PER DAY being ripped off.

That's just nuts - do the math, ya know.

SimpleSimon said:
I saw something on a network news magazine the other night where some movie exec thinks that there's like 150,000 movies PER DAY being ripped off.

That's just nuts - do the math, ya know.

No, That is probably right. He just forgot to mention those are movies of the adult nature. :D and about 30 seconds long, but I wouldn't know anything about that :cool:

First off, if DISH did do this then they would be in breach of truth in advertising by saying they offer HD. True HD is 480p, 720p, or 1080i, non of this 540p or 380p crap. They advertise true HD.

Most TVs I know of can't do those resolutions anyway, and would down convert them to 480p max.

I thought HDCP was only for the DVI/HDMI port? I didn't think you could apply that to the components? If so, then everyone is screwed since no one's TV is component HDCP compliant.

Then I guess every Xbox game that says it does HD 480p isn't telling the truth then. :(

Still, DISH would kill everything about HD they had if they did this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)