E.W. Scripps buys ION Media for $2.65 Billion

Ypsiguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 5, 2019
Ypsilanti, MI
There will be some interesting digital subchannel changes coming soon, especially in my DMA.

Scripps already owns WXYZ and WMYD in Detroit. I suspect WPXD will be one of the stations spun off as an ION affiliate with Katz subchannels.

Reactions: FTA4PA
There will be some interesting digital subchannel changes coming soon, especially in my DMA.

Scripps already owns WXYZ and WMYD in Detroit. I suspect WPXD will be one of the stations spun off as an ION affiliate with Katz subchannels.
Will be interesting to see how this plays out. :rollingeyes

Similar here...Scripps owns KNXV and KASW here in Phoenix and doubt they will be able to keep KPPX

Scripps just bought K3 in Sterling, CO which also transmits from Lookout Mountain in Denver. They will have a ton of OTA channels and sub channels along the northern front range. RF7, RF19, RF23, RF26, RF30, and/or RF34.

Scripps has both KSHB/KMCI and all Kratz Sub channels. Fox4kc is the only station in KC without a secondary channel and has still the other Court TV station in KC area.

I messaged someone from Scripps and they are working on keeping all the Ion or mostly all of the ION O&O in markets where they have a Scripps station or two already except for a handful of cities. They kept the New Orleans one and sold the Phoenix and KC one (which New Orleans doesn’t have a Scripps but KC and Phoenix does already and I’m some cases they kept the Ion O&O where they have Scripps station ownership already like Milwaukee). If that makes sense

So does this mean that Discovery is essence owns ION now? Or is this Scripps different than the Scripps Discovery bought a handful of years ago?