EA vs WA - should I switch?

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
I have bee with Dish for about 10 years. A few months ago, I upgraded to HD. The problem is that I am still on western arc & receive sd locals on this setup. My HD locals are on EA. I do not want a 2nd dish. During the last several weeks, I have noticed more rain fade than previously experienced. My signal strengths range from around 30 on spot beams to mid 50's & some even higher.

If I choose to change to EA - will I experience less rain fade problems? Will I experience a better/sharper picture since everything will be MPEG4?

I have bee with Dish for about 10 years. A few months ago, I upgraded to HD. The problem is that I am still on western arc & receive sd locals on this setup. My HD locals are on EA. I do not want a 2nd dish. During the last several weeks, I have noticed more rain fade than previously experienced. My signal strengths range from around 30 on spot beams to mid 50's & some even higher.

Seems to me that the signal strengths you posted are quite low depending on where you are located. I know from installing E.A. the levels for 72.7 & 77 are generally around 50. With a 1000.2 W.A. dish, my signals are all in the mid to high 70's. You may need to have your dish re-tued for a better strength.

I recently switched to EA because of IOS issues some trees were blocking 119 for me.

Since I was not reliably receiving 119 I guess you could say that there is less rain fade but I am not true if that would be true fro someone who can reliably get 110 and 119. As for MPEG 4 helping clarity I would say that it does not. It is my understanding that the EA is a bit more compressed. i certainly so not see any difference.

Sd looks better on eastern arc compared to western arc on the same channels compared in my opinion. More cleaner and no artifacting in the backgrounds . Eastern arc is in mpeg 4 compared to western arc in mpeg 2. Hd is the same- mpeg 4 on either arc. Eastern arc is more prone to rain fade in southeast Texas than western arc , where you get signals in the 60's and 70s on all 3 sats: 110/119/129 using a 1000.2 sat dish. Here in southeast Texas I get signals in the mid to high 40s on 72.7 / 50s on 77 / 40-60 on 61.5 sat using eastern arc 1000.4 sat dish. As usual your mileage will vary .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)