'Earl' Heads to Thursdays, 'Scrubs' Back as NBC Shakes Up Schedule

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
My Name Is Earl" looks like it's going to need whatever good karma it's built up so far this season.
NBC's highest-rated new series is making the move to the cutthroat environment of Thursday nights starting in January as the network tries to re-establish the Thursday comedy block that served it so well for years. Its current Tuesday-night mate, "The Office," will also make the move to Thursdays, where they'll try to survive against CBS' powerful "CSI."

The change opens up Tuesday nights for the return of "Scrubs," which will begin its fifth season on Jan. 3. NBC plans to run back-to-back new episodes of the show in January, leading up to the start of the Winter Olympics on Feb. 10. "Joey" and "The Apprentice" will return following the Olympics, with the former possibly becoming a "Scrubs" companion on Tuesdays.

Two other new shows, the comedy "Four Kings" and the drama "Book of Daniel," will also debut in January. NBC is also making a weekly series of its occasional fill-in show "Most Outrageous TV Moments."
"These midseason adjustments allow us to showcase the season's top-rated new comedy in 'Earl' as well as the increasingly popular 'The Office' on Thursdays, along with the new 'Four Kings,' while we also introduce a great new drama series in 'Book of Daniel' on Fridays," NBC Entertainment president Kevin Reilly says. "In so doing, we have the pieces in place to fulfill one of our goals -- to bring back a block of quality comedy to Thursday nights."

"Will & Grace" will now lead off NBC's Thursday, with "Four Kings" -- which was created by the "W&G" team of Max Mutchnick and David Kohan -- at 8:30 p.m. ET. "Earl" and "The Office" will fill the 9 p.m. hour, with "ER" staying put at 10.

"Most Outrageous TV Moments" will take over the 8 p.m. Friday spot, with "Dateline" at 9 and "Book of Daniel" at 10. The latter, about an Episcopal priest (Aidan Quinn) who has visions of -- and conversations with -- Jesus. It will open with a two-hour premiere on Jan. 6 and run as a limited series until the opening of the Olympics.

One other change: With "The Apprentice: Martha Stewart" ending, the 9 p.m. Wednesday hour will be filled by a series of themed "Biggest Loser" specials called "The Biggest Loser: Special Edition."

Here's a look at changes to NBC's schedule, with new shows in bold. Saturday, Sunday and Monday lineups remain intact.

Tuesday, Jan. 3

8 p.m. "Fear Factor" (premieres Dec. 6)
9 p.m. "Scrubs" (back-to-back episodes)
10 p.m. "Law & Order: SVU"

Wednesday, Jan. 4

8 p.m. "E-Ring"
9 p.m. "The Biggest Loser: Special Edition"
10 p.m. "Law & Order"

Thursday, Jan. 5

8 p.m. "Will & Grace"
8:30 p.m. "Four Kings"
9 p.m. "My Name Is Earl"
9:30 p.m. "The Office"
10 p.m. "ER"

Friday, Jan. 6

8 p.m. "Most Outrageous TV Moments"
9 p.m. "Book of Daniel" (two-hour premiere; moves to 10 p.m. Jan. 13)

Source

I thought for a second earl was moving to a new slot I could watch since it currently conflict with house. But now it will conflict with an even bigger show csi

dang it....liked Earl on Tuesday's but on Thursday's this will suck (no I don't watch CSI either...WWE Smackdown is on Thursdays in Canada) :)

NBC wows us again with a terrible move. I was actually watching Earl and Office on Tuesdays (over House), but now I'll go back to watching House (over Scrubs) and I'll continue watching CSI. I might record Earl and Office to watch later, but we'll see.

Why do networks continually feel the need to compete against CSI? Can't they concede just that one time slot and just put on a rerun or something? Doesn't it cost them more money to develop a new show, run it in that time slot for a few weeks, then cancel it (repeat ad nauseum), compared to the loss in advertising they might see from showing a rerun in the slot?

I had nothing to watch on Thursday,, i dont do CSI* and or Survivor :no .

Now I have an excuse to watch NBC on Thursdays .. :yes

*CSI Miami.. Yes!

Earl rocks. There are too many CSI and Law and Order type shows on. Give me a good comedy.

Earl will hold his own.

NBC has a real ego thing about Thursday. All of their best shows have been hits on Thursdays "Cheers", "Cosby" (I think it was on NBC), "Seinfeld", "Friends". I think this is a big vote of confidence in "Earl" and "Office", that thye can pull an audience in their toughest slot.
If they are trying to kill a show, it gets a Friday or Sat night run, until it implodes.
And I can TIVo both CSI and Earl (+Office). I think they will see and increase over their current lineup and be pleased with any progress.
(And I have watched a total of about 10 minutes of Survivor, the pilot episode, and have not returned. Not 'reality' TV to me, just merely unscripted.)

cbearnm said:
Not 'reality' TV to me, just merely unscripted.
That's all reality TV has ever been. A lot of people get really hung up on the NAME of the genre and don't focus on the show itself. My philosophy is if I like a show, I'll watch it. I don't get hung up on if the name of the genre matches what's actually on the show. And I think Survivor is one of the best shows on the air, and I'm apparently not alone since in its 10th season it's still an overall top-10 show.

The only true reality TV is hidden camera shows, since if people see a camera then it ceases to be a true representation of reality in most cases.

As for Earl and Office, I hope they do well, but it'll be tough. And while I agree there are too many CSI shows on the air, I don't think the original will be the first to go...

Proc said:
Earl rocks. There are too many CSI and Law and Order type shows on. Give me a good comedy.

Earl will hold his own.

Actually Catalina (the maid) is who really rocks.. she's soooo Hot.

I do give props to Earl.. is one hella funny show! :yes

Attachments

• nadine-velazquez.jpg
    nadine-velazquez.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 218
I was happy that Earl moved to Thursday. It was up against House / OC for Tivo face time. In it's Thursday slot I can catch it :).

dfergie said:
I was wrong about this... thankfully Earl seems to be doing alright on Thurdsays. Earl Dvd's to come out before long and the extras may be a little raunchy. Story Here
Man I can't wait for the dvd's to come out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)