Early cancellation -- any pitfalls/hidden charges?

who_the

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 18, 2004
San Francisco, Calif.
I got Dish Network through a 3rd party site (vmc) and have only been a customer for a little over a month. I'm upset about having to pay $400 to upgrade to a HD STB that was offered to me free when I started service. (I didn't have an HDTV at the time; now I'm getting one, and kicking myself for not taking D*'s HD box 33 days ago.) Regardless, it seems unfair to charge a $400 penalty for what will probably amount to only a few channels for a few months, before I would qualify for an upgrade offer of some sort.

So, if ceo@dishnetwork.com won't resolve this in my favor, I'll have to cancel. Is the best way to cancel to call VMC or call D* directly? To whom will I have to send equipment? I understand VMC is pretty serious about recovering their $290 cancellation fee, especially since D* takes it back from them I guess.

Any more insight or advice? Thanks!

do you have direct tv now or dish network. if you have direct tv, the email address in your post will do no good. when people use the * thing, D* means direct tv and E* means dish network/echostar.

If there is a cancellation fee from VMC then there is no escaping it if you cancel early. Also make sure you do not have a Dish Network commitment.

Read the small print!!!!!

There will be a early termination fee, it is in the paperwork that YOU signed when You had the system installed, TRUST ME! If You have 311's it is around $199 per box, if its PVR's could be as much as $299. Consider Dish paid someone to come out & install it & supplied the equipment. Sorry...... :(

who_the said:
I got Dish Network through a 3rd party site (vmc) and have only been a customer for a little over a month. I'm upset about having to pay $400 to upgrade to a HD STB that was offered to me free when I started service. (I didn't have an HDTV at the time; now I'm getting one, and kicking myself for not taking D*'s HD box 33 days ago.) Regardless, it seems unfair to charge a $400 penalty for what will probably amount to only a few channels for a few months, before I would qualify for an upgrade offer of some sort.

So, if ceo@dishnetwork.com won't resolve this in my favor, I'll have to cancel. Is the best way to cancel to call VMC or call D* directly? To whom will I have to send equipment? I understand VMC is pretty serious about recovering their $290 cancellation fee, especially since D* takes it back from them I guess.

Any more insight or advice? Thanks!
If you signed up under DHA you have no commitment with DISH "Notwerk", if you signed up under DHA-12 you have a 12 month commitment, under DHA-24 a 24 month commitment. You might also have a 1 yr commitment to VMC. Check the paperwork you signed they govern the CONTRACTS YOU agreed to. YOU know you are supposed to read them before signing, I am constantly surprised by how many IDIOTS there are that don't know what they have agreed to. :shocked :(

hey, be easy on the guy :)

Sorry, but sadly I'm most assured you have a contract with VMC. They are plain evil!!!!

I believe I know the fees I'm contractually obligated to pay. I have a DHA contract through VMC. $290 is their cancel fee.

I was wondering if there were any hidden or "screw" fees I hadn't seen or been told about.

But thanks to everyone! Especially those with contract-reading advice. :rolleyes:

I'm curious why you went with a reseller instead of directly through Dish ?? Direct through Dish is really "no committment". I've never heard of "DHA-12" or "DHA-24" or at least they didn't exist when I signed up.

Hi, hall. Just a classic mistake. "Had I known then what I knew now."

I should have gone directly with Dish, now I know. I lay myself before the masses so they may know what I know, before I knew it, so they may avoid the same error and thus the public embarrasment which has followed.

No, actually, you should've gone with a LOCAL retailer (not local hack fulfillment center). You would've gotten exactly the same deal as with VMC or Dish direct, but you'd have a much better chance of getting an installer that actually cares about what they're doing - one whose living actually depends on their reputation.

Look around at the horror stories regarding DNSC installs and fulfillment installs. Count them up and then see how many you find talking about bad locals (like me).

His complaint isn't with "quality of install" or VMC's "service", it's the inability to get an HD receiver (reasonably). I doubt a local retailer would be any different and they'd likely bind him to their own 1-year committment just like VMC.

I've not run into a local retailer that uses a handcuff contract. It's just not good business. You keep a customer with service, not threats.

We average 1-2 chargebacks a year. It's just unavoidable. Anything from death to moving away to loss of job.

But note that we NEVER lose a customer to cable or D*.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts