Easiest, Cheapest way to connect 722 to net

bmwboyee

Original poster
May 27, 2009
TX
I need to hook my 722 to the net to download some programming. I only need to hook it up this one time really. I have no interest in ordering movies or anything else. What is the easiest, cheapest way I can do this? Can I share my internet connection from my laptop? What I have:

1. cable internet
2. Wireless router with built in modem (across the house)
3. ViP722

I don't want to spend the money on a cat 5 cable to run across the house. What is the cheapest route?

Thanks for your help.

Cat 5 cable, wireless bridge connected to the receiver's ethernet port or Homeplug are your only options for a direct connection to the router. I have no idea whether connection sharing with the lappy will work or not. I've never tried it. You could try it and report back if it works. Why not just move the receiver close to the router and use an ethernet cable to connect to the router until you get whatever download you're looking for? There are benefits to having the receiver connected to the 'net 24/7 like scheduling via the 'net and receiver health updates/warnings. Buying cable from monoprice.com is fairly painless. Wireless bridges or wireless game adapters can cost from $25 up along with a Homeplug kit.

Last edited:
Buy one homeplug adapter and hook it to the router. Plug the 722 into the wall, reset your broadband connection on the 722 and you're done.

I have found the cheapest (but not the easiest) way is to got a used wireless router and install DD-WRT on it. Once DD-WRT is installed you can configure the router to work as a wireless bridge. You can find used routers everywhere (ebay,craigslist, local yardsale). I bought a like new Linksys router from my local community website for only $10. I have it connected to my 722 since my main router is on the second floor.

This thread talks about it more
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/174649-can-i-use-wireless-ethernet-bridge-722-a.html

Cheapest way would be a cat5E cable. You can get a 100 foot CAT5 cable from Monoprice for $8.

But like others have said, I suggest getting a more permanent solution. Having access to the remote access has been great. Much easier to see whats coming on in the future and managing your DVR.

I really appreciate everyones help. I have a wireless router that I could install DD WRT on but I am afraid I might brick it? Also, what does everyone think about this homeplug:

grrrr...can't post a link. It is the Zyxel PLA450v1

Would that one be okay? Also, how hard is it to set up with the wireless router? I actually have two sitting at the house. A Fon and a trendnet.

I need to hook my 722 to the net to download some programming. I only need to hook it up this one time really. I have no interest in ordering movies or anything else. What is the easiest, cheapest way I can do this? Can I share my internet connection from my laptop? What I have:

1. cable internet
2. Wireless router with built in modem (across the house)
3. ViP722

I don't want to spend the money on a cat 5 cable to run across the house. What is the cheapest route?

Thanks for your help.
I recommend keeping it connected to the internet. Not only can you avoid the $5/month fee, but you can program the DVR via the remote access website (from your Dish Network online account or from dish.sling.com). It's well worth it.

So I found out the Fon router can be flashed to DD-WRT. I am going to try that. if i brick it, so be it, I got it for free. Now, once i flash DD-WRT, how do i put it in "bridge" mod. Got to keep looking.

If you are going to go homeplug, be sure it is home plug 1.0 compliant. The Zyxel model that you referenced appears yo be homeplug av which is not compatable with the VIP DVRs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts