East Marlborough Township Consumers One Step Closer to Real Choice for Cable TV

cforrest

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Long Island
Latest press release in my inbox from VZ on FIOS TV:

Verizon Obtains Fifth Pennsylvania Cable Franchise, Opening Door for Cable Competition, Consumer Choice and Value

April 11, 2006

Media contact:
Lee Gierczynski , 412-633-5574

WEST CHESTER, Pa. – The Chester County township of East Marlborough brought its residents a major step closer to choice for their cable television services, thanks to the township board’s vote last night (April 10) authorizing Verizon to offer its fiber-optic-powered FiOS TV.

The township is the second Chester County jurisdiction to grant Verizon a cable franchise, following Valley Township, which granted the company its cable franchise last month. They join a growing list of southeastern Pennsylvania communities that have granted cable franchises to Verizon, including Hulmeville Borough in Bucks County, Schwenksville Borough in Montgomery County and Thornbury Township in Delaware County. Verizon will announce availability plans for FiOS TV in East Marlborough Township and the other communities later this year.

Verizon, which launched FiOS TV last September in Keller, Texas, currently offers the service in parts of California, Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Texas and Virginia. The company will make FiOS TV available in Pennsylvania markets where it has negotiated franchise agreements with local authorities.

"We applaud East Marlborough Township officials for their foresight in putting into place the foundation that will allow consumers to choose their video provider as easily as they now choose their phone company," said William B. Carnahan, Verizon Pennsylvania vice president of external affairs. "Competition drives innovation, value and service quality, and we will compete aggressively for business in Chester County with our FiOS services, which are fueled by our lightning-fast fiber-optic network.

"We hope to bring these benefits to more Chester County consumers by reaching similar agreements with other municipalities."

Under the 15-year agreement, Verizon will be able to offer FiOS TV service to residents of the township. In addition, the agreements require Verizon to pay the community franchise fees based on the company’s gross revenues on cable services.

FiOS TV is designed to be a formidable competitor to cable and satellite, offering a broad collection of all-digital programming with more than 350 total channels, nearly two-dozen high-definition channels, video on demand and more. It is delivered over Verizon’s fiber-to-the-premises network, which has industry-leading quality and reliability. Fiber delivers amazingly sharp pictures and sound, and has the capacity to transmit a wide array of high-definition programming that is so clear and intense it seems to leap from the TV screen. Verizon’s network design includes backup facilities not common to traditional cable systems, such as duplicate "head ends" where the TV service receives national programming.

In addition to FiOS TV, Verizon’s fiber network also allows the company to offer consumers and businesses high-speed FiOS Internet Service at download speeds of up to 30 mbps (megabits per second) and upload speeds up to 5 mbps.* FiOS Internet Service currently is available to many consumers and small businesses in Chester County, as well as parts of Bucks, Montgomery and Delaware counties.

* NOTE: actual (throughput) speeds will vary.

Halleluiah!

It's great to see FiOS making its way into markets around the country...now if we can just get municipalities in New Jersey to see the light, I'll be happy girl!

cforrest said:
No link, I have verizon send me the press releases to my inbox. I just copy and paste the press releases in my inbox. I am sure I can get a link if I look up the stock and press releases if it is out on the web. Let me look....

Edit: Found a link by doing a stock lookup. Here ya go: http://money.cnn.com/services/tickerheadlines/prn/200604110931PR_NEWS_USPR_____NYTU096.htm

i will have to check to see if we need to do anything special if there is no link and it is emailed to you.

i will try to find out.

Yo, JerseyGirl -- I'll probly be a grandmother by the time we get FIOS, and I'm not even married yet. But my boyfriend works for Verizon and we want FIOS!!!

So FiOS isn't available in New Jersey? Isn't that where they are headquartered? Yikes! I'm curious as to what incentive municipalities have to block these sorts of services. Granted, I'm sure the cable companies are working overtime to preserve their monopoly, but I am surprised that they have been this successful.

Verizon

Yes, I think Verizon is HQ'd in NJ...I've heard that Comcast is working every angle to stop them from introducing FiOS there...it speaks volumes that they are this scared of the competition, no?

I also hear that in places where FiOS has been introduced, or may be introduced, that the cable companies have come up with some pretty serious promotional deals. I don't think that's a coincidence, and I don't think they're going to be temporary either. Just one competitor is going to change the entire face of the debate, and we're the ones that will benefit. Let's hope NJ stands up to cable and lets FiOS set up shop in its own backyard.

Amen, brother!

You are so right, Paul...competition is good for everyone. Even if you don't go with FiOS, you're bound to get a better deal from your current company...EVERYONE should want to see Verizon get into the market in NJ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts