Eastern arc local channels needed

ajay60

Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
I'm in Louisiana and because of los issues, am pointed to the eastern arc with a 1000.4 dish. However, since I have los issues to the south, I get no locals. The installer said I am the only subscriber in the state pointed to the ea but still would like to get locals. I have good signals on the 62.5, 72, and 77 birds. Any way to get locals even if they're Birminghams? Would prefer New Orleans but don't think it's going to be possible.

On 61.5 check TP 1 and 3. Those are Jackson and Mobile HD locals. There is always OTA too if your receivers have the tuners.

Hate to sound ingnorant but I know just enough to become dangerous. When you say check TP 1 and 3, what does that refer to?

Hate to sound ingnorant but I know just enough to become dangerous. When you say check TP 1 and 3, what does that refer to?
First off :welcometo SatelliteGuys.us!!

Digiblur was refering to the signal strength screen. You can get there by pressing "Menu" Then press 6 then press 1 then press 1 again (you will see commands like this posted as Menu-6-1-1 most of the time). This will bring you to a screen that looks something like this: (it may look slightly different depending on what receiver you have, this is from a ViP722 apparently running old firmware)
pointdish.jpg

If you look you will see a selection for Satellite and a selection for Transponder. If you arrow over to satellite, you can select 61.5 by pressing up or down arrows while it is highlighted. Then go over to transponder and Select 1 After it says "Locked 61.5 West" Write down the signal strength. Then do the same for Transponder 3. Post your results here. If they are high enough, someone may have a possible solution for you.

TP1 setting shows strength of 43
TP3 setting shows strength of 61 and spotbeam??

And THANKS for the welcome!!

Are you looking for SD or HD locals?

What receivers do you have?

Where in LA are you located?

Looks like you get good signals from the Jackson MS and Mobile AL beams. Jackson is missing the FOX HD feed and Mobile is missing the NBC HD feed.

Would prefer HD locals since we have new HD equipment but will take what we can get at this point. Missed too much LSU tigers and Saints already and neither are of importance anymore anyway!
VIP722 just installed and assuming it's the latest firmware.
Located in Covington, LA, just north of New Orleans.

Would prefer HD locals since we have new HD equipment but will take what we can get at this point. Missed too much LSU tigers and Saints already and neither are of importance anymore anyway!
VIP722 just installed and assuming it's the latest firmware.
Located in Covington, LA, just north of New Orleans.

If I were you I would get an outdoor antenna such as the CM4228 to pickup the HD channels via OTA from New Orleans and "move" to Jackson, MS or Mobile, AL for HD locals. Best of both worlds.

When you say "move to Jackson or Mobile", is that something Dish has to do for me or something I can do through the firmware? I know I'm paying for locals currently even though I don't have them and I imagine that is for New Orleans locals. I've been struggling with this for over 3 months now and would rather not involve Dish if I can avoid it.

When you say "move to Jackson or Mobile", is that something Dish has to do for me or something I can do through the firmware? I know I'm paying for locals currently even though I don't have them and I imagine that is for New Orleans locals. I've been struggling with this for over 3 months now and would rather not involve Dish if I can avoid it.

Something you have to do....if you want to. Search for moving, lots of threads here.

digiblur and agonizing fury, you've been a tremendous help. But I have searched for threads on "moving" to Birmingham or Jackson and reading through all these threads has me falling asleep! Might I beg for a quick lesson on what I need to do? You could really help me make my wife think I know something.

Unfortunately no. You have to call Dish (Echostar or E* for short) and ask them to move your service address to the area for which you want the locals. This is called "moving" because you don't actually move at all. Wink wink.

E* = Dish Network/Echostar

Something like the address of the courthouse in Jackson, only add something like Apt 3. ex. 1424 Apt 3, Jackson. If you need more clarity, you might want to read more of the moving threads.

Got it. I was hoping to avoid dish. Since I no longer believe in landlines, they've eaten up several hundred of my cellphone minutes! I'll read through some more of the "moving" threads as drawn out as that is. The only other issue I could foresee is understanding of what birds HD locals reside on. Since I'm on the eastern arc, I want to be absolutely sure that if I change my service address to Jackson or Birmingham, I'm not jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. Any way to find that out for sure?

Got it. I was hoping to avoid dish. Since I no longer believe in landlines, they've eaten up several hundred of my cellphone minutes! I'll read through some more of the "moving" threads as drawn out as that is. The only other issue I could foresee is understanding of what birds HD locals reside on. Since I'm on the eastern arc, I want to be absolutely sure that if I change my service address to Jackson or Birmingham, I'm not jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. Any way to find that out for sure?

You may not be in the spotbeam for Birmingham locals on 61.5.

You don't have to use the phone, just use the online chat and it only takes a couple of minutes.

Try this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/113397-help-moving.html

Great thread. Thanks! Last question before I jump in . . . How can I be sure that Jackson, MS, HD locals are on one of my birds (61.5, 72, 77)?

Great thread. Thanks! Last question before I jump in . . . How can I be sure that Jackson, MS, HD locals are on one of my birds (61.5, 72, 77)?

A couple of resources... TheList in my signature or dishchannelchart.com

If you are getting TP 1 on 61.5 in your area I can guarantee that the Jackson, MS HD locals are there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)