Eastern or Western Arcs

AlexMI

Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
Michigan
Hi,

I am setting up Dish service at my summer house about two hours north of Detroit. I've always setup my dishes to point to 110/119, but this way years ago. Before I buy equipment I'm trying to gauge if I purchase a LNB and dish that points to the Eastern or Western Arc satellites. Technically I believe I should point to Eastern. Although I have an old 508 I will probably replace it for the install with a 211z.

What's the consensus of the group, go with equipment for Eastern or Western? Also is Eastern easier or harder to align?

You are wise to ask. There have been some changes in the last few years. What market do you get your HD locals from (at your vacation home)? That will determine which sat/arc.

Last edited:
If you go with the western arc, you will need to see 10, 119, and 129. Most of the HD channels are on 129. Eastern arc will allow you to get HD looking at 61.5 and 72.7.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Looks like my chicago locals are on 61.5. I've read Eastern Arc is easier to dial in if they're obstacles in the way. Something about 129 being low on the horizon. Which Satellite would you recommend i dial in first?

Sorry, one last thing. It's my understanding that an SD receiver like a 508 would not be able to pickup any useful channels off the eastern arc since most everything off those birds are in HD. Correct?

Sorry, one last thing. It's my understanding that an SD receiver like a 508 would not be able to pickup any useful channels off the eastern arc since most everything off those birds are in HD. Correct?
The 508 will not pick up any channels at all on the EA. I'm not even sure you can activate it on any Arc. A 211 will be good either way.

The 508 will not pick up any channels at all on the EA. I'm not even sure you can activate it on any Arc. A 211 will be good either way.

What you should do is on your way to your house take I-94 to 275 north get off at 8 mile and pick up a new 211K at Solid Signal. Just walk in and they will set you up.

The 508 is not a 8PSK comparable receiver, so it won't even work on MPEG-2 channels on 119 and 110 any more. And, of course, Dish will not activate it.

Reactions: pattykay
What you should do is on your way to your house take I-94 to 275 north get off at 8 mile and pick up a new 211K at Solid Signal. Just walk in and they will set you up.

Good thing about the 211 series is, you can add an external hard drive and make it into a one tuner DVR for a one time $40 fee with no DVR fee, in case the OP wasn't aware.

Hi guys, it went well.

Two questions.

1.) My signal for 61.5 and 72.5 are just shy of 40, but i can't seem to get anything more than 12 for 77. They're no trees in the way. Is the problem my skew? (Check switch does register all 3 satellites)

2.) When I try to watch my Chicago locals I get a 15 error and then a dish message with an 536. Is this because of me not locking in on 77 or because I'm 300 miles east of Chicago?

Thanks

Why are you trying to get 77? Forget 77 get the best signal you can from 61.5 and 72.7 (Not 72.5) 40 is probably too low. None of my signals off of the EA are below 48 - 50.

IF you are using a 1000.4 sat dish , you need to adjust the azimuth cam to get a stronger signal on 72.7 sat. That adjust it for the best signal for both 72.7 and 77 sats. You can adjust it like 3 degrees to the left or right to get the sweet spot for both of those sats. The 1000.4 is a more complicated install than the 1000.2 sat dish. It also has an elevation rod to adjust that peaks your dish the most on 72.7 sat. The 1000.2 sat dish is easier to install ,once you have the proper direction for the sats or azimuth , adjust the skew to what the directions say, put the elevation to what it is supposed to be, then aim and lock in place.

For 72 I picked 18. That yields a signal level of 40. The micro adjustment for AZ is missing. I made the mistake of over tightening. In the case of Chicago locals, is that error just because I'm outside the spotbeam?

For 72 I picked 18. That yields a signal level of 40. The micro adjustment for AZ is missing. I made the mistake of over tightening. In the case of Chicago locals, is that error just because I'm outside the spotbeam?
What's TP 11 and 14 say?

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts