Dish refundable DVR equipment deposit charges in 2010 -Y/N ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tubetwister

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
I finally Cancelled my Dish TV acct (since 2010) for many legitimate reasons IMO and switched to ATT/ Dish TV
I picked up the latest Genie whole house DVR and 3 mini Genies and and 2 more rooms for nothing to install the whole house and nothing up front and ended up with a $200.00 Visa reward card , a better HD picture and saved $60.00 a month on a better channel line up bundling all that with my AT&T broadband FTTN ISP acct.

FWIW out of 5 fairly new TV sets here I have a 2015 4K HDR Sony TV in here along with a 2013 Samsung 64f8500 1080p Plama out front and a 2013 1080p Sony Bravia and 2013 1080p LG in other rooms that all like the new D*TV HD signals much better such that it is still being bandwidth constricted and all . I roll my own calibrations also .

I was unable to get Dish to make a competitive retention offer or upgrade the old 722K/211K devices to the new Hopper stuff and add 2 rooms without substantial addt'l charges up front and recurring increased monthly equip. charges so I jumped ship .

Setting all that aside I'm not posting to trash Dish here just my history and facts above and below and never a late payment with Dish since 2010 either . I'm sure Dish may have competitive new customer offers and some folks like Dish fine anyway and that's all good with me . All the TV providers have some issues ,recalcitrance and price hikes at some point so......and I've had Comcast, Viacom, ATT Cable,Comcast again , and Direct TV and Dish TV prior to the new ATT/Direct TV bundle (again) now .

While the D*TV HD picture is usually decently better than Dish HD lite here ....Netflix 1080p HD and 4K via Sony TV Android and the 2K extenders here on the other TV's has a better picture here most of the time than Dish or D*TV 1080i /p anyway .

I keep my resolution at native on D*TV TV for 4 of the tier one brand TV's here (nice feature of D* TV ) which all seem to have have better scalers than an STB /DVR , Dish only had 480i/ & 720p/1080i HD lite fixed res. on the old equipment I had .

The long and short of all this is I seem to recall paying maybe $200.00 or more in 2010 for a maybe refundable deposit on the Vip 722K and 211K reciever and Dish cant find the records and cant tell me anthing about what it was that I paid (CSR said thier screens only go back 2 years ) '

I elevated the claim and someone from the Dish TV presidents office called after mentioning I might contact the appropriate government regulators in a second e mail after receiving a dismissive response from at Dish cares or whatever they call it from an e mail I sent them and thier representative from the Dish presidents office that called here told me it was not a refundable payment I might have paid in 2010 but the person was unable to be specific as to what it may have been or what I paid for when I paid the money in 2010 and maybe couldn't access the records . The individual was also rude and insisted thier people explained all that to me when I started up with Dish in 2010 which was not true at all .

IMO more than Half the CSR's there in my experience barley understand anthing beyond reading a script if you are lucky enough to get one that speaks English half way decent and are always in a hurry so they can take the next call or upsell you something you don't want .

OTOH in contrast the local Dish franchise techs on the trucks have been fine here .

Does anyone recall paying DVR /STB refundable equipment deposits with Dish TV new installs in maybe 2010 or so ?

I'm about to ship back the VIP 722K and 211K equipment in the boxes they charged me for regardless of the outcome even though I should probably just tell them to shove it .

I may look in my old paper files for the orig Dish TV agreement here .Now I scan and digitize all this kind of stuff or do it all on the web since 2011 and likewise pay the monthly bills on the web .I have electronic records and specific screenshots and or scans I wouldn't have had for Dish TV at first in 2010.

The only time I paid any money to Dish for any receiver, and I've had a bunch over 18 years, is when I wanted a 722 over a 622. The 722 was new at the time. I had to pay $100 for that upgrade. There was nothing refundable about that transaction and that was made clear to me at the time. This was an upgrade fee, period. I have never heard of an equipment deposit. they've got your credit card number if you don't return their equipment.

This is the first I have heard of refundable equipment deposits but have only been with DISH for nine years. I do not understand the cast your vote question. Can someone explain it for me?

I would have to say you paid a standard upgrade fee. I always have bought all my receivers so I can do what I want with them. Enjoy Direct Tv .

Here ya go guys

fees and charges; (ii) all outstanding
prices, fees and charge
s
accrued through the date of such disconnection; and (iii) a
deposit equal to a minimum of one month of prices, fees and charges for the Services and other services that you received
prior to disconnection. In the event that your Services are disconnecte
d for non
-
payment or any other reason, then, even if
you pay to restart your Service, you will no longer be eligible to receive any credits, refunds
, price reductions or any other
form of compensation
including, without limitation, any remaining
credits,
refunds, price reductions or any other form of
compensation
that you would have been eligible to receive had your Services not been disconnected. Unless required by
applicable law, deposits will not be segregated from other funds and will not earn or accr
ue interest. Promotional pricing
is valid only at the time of installation.

https://www.dish.com/downloads/legal/residential-agreement.pdf

Never been a "Refundable fee". There are upgrades fees, at times, depending on the equipment and the status of your account.

Life is a lot better today. In 2005 I spent over $900 for a DirecTV DVR and two simple receivers and that was the only option. No free equipment then.

You can never compare the customer acquisition discounts to customer retention. It i just not business and satellite TV is not the only industry that uses that model.

Been a Dish customer off and on over the years. Never heard of a refundable deposit. IMHO, if you don't have paperwork showing this you are out of luck.

If you don't return the equipment they will charge you full retail price... would be much more than $200.

The only time I paid any money to Dish for any receiver, and I've had a bunch over 18 years, is when I wanted a 722 over a 622. The 722 was new at the time. I had to pay $100 for that upgrade. There was nothing refundable about that transaction and that was made clear to me at the time. This was an upgrade fee, period. I have never heard of an equipment deposit. they've got your credit card number if you don't return their equipment.

Sure thanks for the reply ...,I plan on shipping the boxes back tomorrow that was certainly part of the original agreement anyway. The other stuff may or may not get resolved outside of all that and if what you say applied to me as s new Dish customer in 2010 that wont happen anyway .

OTOH Dish stuck me up pretty good (outside of the monthly subscription ) for activation and or installing the system for 2 rooms and 200 something channels and a VIP 722K HD and one other huge SD 480i STB receiver in 2010 not to mention all along they stuck me up for 10.00 a mo. HD fees and 50.00 to upgrade the 2nd room to its own HD 211K receiver that had to be replaced 3 times for going into boot loops all after they never told be the second room 2010 TV had a Dish 480i SD box that was SD only at first when they quit making HD TV sets in 2008 anyway .I noticed all that soon by comparing OTA and trying to set the STB resolution but they still nicked me for a $50.00 upgrade and wanted 100.00 ea all total to add two rooms and more monthly equip fees in 2010 I turned all that down and did something else with extenders and OTA in those rooms but ATT/Direct TV has therm all hoked up with whole house DVR for free now and thier CSR and tech were very good .

IOW I would rate my Dish experience on par along with Comcast in the early mid 2000's which isn't good but the field techs were OK and I think the Dish CEO is maybe nuts YMMV .`

OTOH I ( now) setting all the other ATT/D*TV bundle improvements and decently lower costs for two yrs. at least and two more rooms aside...... I cant imagine that I stayed with Dish having a such a crappy HD lite signal at all considering the TV 's in my sig or even what I had in 2010 which were all tier one brand 1080p HDTV sets but I wasn't aware that D*TV had such a better HD signal and the new Dish Hopper DVR/STB boxes can't polish a turd signal anyway and certainly not better than the TV's I have .....Dish TV wont be missed here .

TBH I always looked for other ways to watch TV,movies or games than Dish on the two better TVs here which include the 2015 4K HDR Sony XBR in here because of the crappy Dish HD picture . My better alternatives picture wise include up to 4K Netflix and 4K You Tube ,OTA ( many of the Sony Andoid up to 4K TV apps ) ,2K `Hulu Plus ,up to 4K HDR Amazon Prime video in the TV apps , 1080p Roku's , my media HDD's and the web here.

While ATT/Direct TV HD ain't as good as some of the alternatives here it 's much better than what I had and much more watchable even on FOX 720p news and business that looked horrid on Dish most of the time with artifacts ,mosquito noise ,soft HD etc. from the severe HD lite and dynamic bit starving at Dish .

Sony IPTV and ATT/ Dish and the others will maybe take them and thier antique birds to the woodshed anyway they if they don't get on board with some technologies like HEVC, MPEG 4 (at least) and other stuff they been loosing net total subscribers while others have picked up some and nobody wants their stillborn mobile iptv slim offerings when they can get much better elsewhere .

This rant is done but again thanks for the reply ..... best regards

Last edited:
Been a Dish customer off and on over the years. Never heard of a refundable deposit. IMHO, if you don't have paperwork showing this you are out of luck.

If you don't return the equipment they will charge you full retail price... would be much more than $200.
Right on the boxes and about the paperwork too If I have anything like that it seems . I'm shipping the equipment tomorrow the boxes and return labels arrived today from Dish .

Sure thanks for the reply ...,I plan on shipping the boxes back tomorrow that was certainly part of the original agreement anyway. The other stuff may or may not get resolved outside of all that and if what you say applied to me as s new Dish customer in 2010 that wont happen anyway .

OTOH Dish stuck me up pretty good (outside of the monthly subscription ) for activation and or installing the system for 2 rooms and 200 something channels and a VIP 722K HD and one other huge SD 480i STB receiver in 2010 not to mention all along they stuck me up for 10.00 a mo. HD fees and 50.00 to upgrade the 2nd room to its own HD 211K receiver that had to be replaced 3 times for going into boot loops all after they never told be the second room 2010 TV had a Dish STD box that was SD only at first when they quit making HD TV sets in 2008 anyway .I noticed all that soon by comparing OTA and trying to set the STB resolution but they still nicked me for a $50.00 upgrade .
The attitude drives me nuts.

Dish didn't "stick" or "nick" you for anything. You made a choices that at the time must have seemed like a reasonable deal unless you blindly pay (repeatedly) any bill sent to you.

Reactions: JSheridan
dish fails to realize that by charging to return leased boxes they are probably souring the sub who may have subbed again in the future.....

this can hurt their ultimate retention numbers

Reactions: tubetwister
$900 for a DirecTV DVR and two simple re
Here ya go guys

fees and charges; (ii) all outstanding
prices, fees and charge
s
accrued through the date of such disconnection; and (iii) a
deposit equal to a minimum of one month of prices, fees and charges for the Services and other services that you received
prior to disconnection. In the event that your Services are disconnecte
d for non
-
payment or any other reason, then, even if
you pay to restart your Service, you will no longer be eligible to receive any credits, refunds
, price reductions or any other
form of compensation
including, without limitation, any remaining
credits,
refunds, price reductions or any other form of
compensation
that you would have been eligible to receive had your Services not been disconnected. Unless required by
applicable law, deposits will not be segregated from other funds and will not earn or accr
ue interest. Promotional pricing
is valid only at the time of installation.

https://www.dish.com/downloads/legal/residential-agreement.pdf

I cancelled (out of contract ) on the day before the end of the billing period with no balance owed shortly after I got the real decent ATT/D*TV bundle offer from my longstanding ATT ISP provider and never a late pay since day one in 2010 with Dish but they did charge me subsequently for the return shipping boxes /& lables and turned the service off right away instead of midnight eastern or PDT which technically would have been the end of the billing period .

Dish couldn't or wouldn't make a compelling customer retention offer on my account in good standing anyway which in dealing with Dish over 6 yrs seems par for the course there anyway and word in the business community is thier long term future is not all that investment wise and the competition and well heeled ATT/Direct and Comcast /Universal and others and evolving changes in the TV delivery method's (iptv and 5G wireless ) may take them to the woodshed anyway .

ofc. I wont be missing the Dish TV inferior HD lite picture either and the new shipping boxes with the Dish junk in them will be shipped back to them tomorrow . ?

Last edited:
I cancelled (out of contract ) on the day before the end of the billing period with no balance owed shortly after I got the real decent ATT/D*TV bundle offer from my longstanding ATT ISP provider and never a late pay since day one in 2010 with Dish but they did charge me subsequently for the return shipping boxes /& lables and turned the service off right away instead of midnight eastern or PDT which technically would have been the end of the billing period .

Dish couldn't or wouldn't make a compelling customer retention offer on my account in good standing anyway which in dealing with Dish over 6 yrs seems par for the course there anyway and word in the business community is thier long term future is not all that investment wise and the competition and well heeled ATT/Direct and Comcast /Universal and others and evolving changes in the TV delivery method's (iptv and 5G wireless ) may take them to the woodshed anyway .

ofc. I wont be missing the Dish TV inferior HD lite picture either
Wow. Good luck with DirecTv and AT&T.

OTOH Dish stuck me up pretty good (outside of the monthly subscription ) for activation and or installing the system for 2 rooms and 200 something channels and a VIP 722K HD and one other huge SD 480i STB receiver in 2010 not to mention all along they stuck me up for 10.00 a mo. HD fees and 50.00 to upgrade the 2nd room to its own HD 211K receiver that had to be replaced 3 times for going into boot loops all after they never told be the second room 2010 TV had a Dish 480i SD box that was SD only at first when they quit making HD TV sets in 2008 anyway .I noticed all that soon by comparing OTA and trying to set the STB resolution but they still nicked me for a $50.00 upgrade and wanted 100.00 ea all total to add two rooms and more monthly equip fees in 2010 I turned all that down and did something else with extenders and OTA in those rooms but ATT/Direct TV has therm all hoked up with whole house DVR for free now and thier CSR and tech were very good .

IOW I would rate my Dish experience on par along with Comcast in the early mid 2000's which isn't good but the field techs were OK and I think the Dish CEO is maybe nuts YMMV .`

OTOH I ( now) setting all the other ATT/D*TV bundle improvements and decently lower costs for two yrs. at least and two more rooms aside...... I cant imagine that I stayed with Dish having a such a crappy HD lite signal at all considering the TV 's in my sig or even what I had in 2010 which were all tier one brand 1080p HDTV sets but I wasn't aware that D*TV had such a better HD signal and the new Dish Hopper DVR/STB boxes can't polish a turd signal anyway and certainly not better than the TV's I have .....Dish TV wont be missed here .

TBH I always looked for other ways to watch TV,movies or games than Dish on the two better TVs here which include the 2015 4K HDR Sony XBR in here because of the crappy Dish HD picture . My better alternatives picture wise include up to 4K Netflix and 4K You Tube ,OTA ( many of the Sony Andoid up to 4K TV apps ) ,2K `Hulu Plus ,up to 4K HDR Amazon Prime video in the TV apps , 1080p Roku's , my media HDD's and the web here.

While ATT/Direct TV HD ain't as good as some of the alternatives here it 's much better than what I had and much more watchable even on FOX 720p news and business that looked horrid on Dish most of the time with artifacts ,mosquito noise ,soft HD etc. from the severe HD lite and dynamic bit starving at Dish .

Sony IPTV and ATT/ Dish and the others will maybe take them and thier antique birds to the woodshed anyway they if they don't get on board with some technologies like HEVC, MPEG 4 (at least) and other stuff they been loosing net total subscribers while others have picked up some and nobody wants their stillborn mobile iptv slim offerings when they can get much better elsewhere .

This rant is done but again thanks for the reply ..... best regards

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Reactions: tubetwister
dish fails to realize that by charging to return leased boxes they are probably souring the sub who may have subbed again in the future.....

this can hurt their ultimate retention numbers

Right in the 6 years with a good standing never late pay Dish TV account they never impressed me as a company that GAS about the customer or HD picture quality beyond an up sell I just was not aware of how much better the (now ) ATT/Dish HD TV picture is than Dish that all by itself is worth jumping ship here .

I get the impression it's ingrained in the company culture from the outspoken possibly eccentric CEO on down the line and all that may make it difficult for the Dish franchise operators besides leaving me with a lasting very bad impression .

FWIW My background is over 30 yrs in management positions with some of the largest and most admired multi nationals (much larger than Dish ) and IMO and many others they have better reputations ,service and customer retention policy that I was involved with first hand on many occasions .

Sent from Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Evaluation Copy . Build 14385.rs1 Microsoft Windows 10 fast ring Insider since 01/2015

Dish didn't "stick" or "nick" you for anything. You made a choices that at the time must have seemed like a reasonable deal unless you blindly pay (repeatedly) any bill sent to you.

Indeed! I pay too much for Dish and I pay too much for my cellphones. Whose fault is it? Mine.

Reactions: bspei and bobvick
It seems like you just didn't pay attention to the bill or ask any questions. Three things made me realize this. The 722 is clearly and at that time was very clearly shown as having one HD output and one SD output. DISH didn't tell you because you didn't ask or look at their website and at that time it was very usual for people to have a second TV that was SD. (Many still do to this day) Second is that you were paying for HD. And third knowing there was never a deposit with DISH. In the end it's good to have choices so you can change and hopefully be happier.

Wow. Good luck with DirecTv and AT&T.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Thanks I've had decent luck with ATT going back ~ 40 years at home and at corporate business for decades we even leased satellite channels and other from them around the globe and thier business service was always decent for us being a large multinational and all So I think D*TV will be OK with them and thier deep pockets besides I can upgrade my D*TV equip free every two years if the need arises .

The above is only as long as ATT/D*TV doesn't become the Comcast of the sky or move to the Dish customer relations and picture quality slums?

Sent from Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Evaluation Copy . Build 14385.rs1 Microsoft Windows 10 fast ring Insider since 01/2015

It seems like you just didn't pay attention to the bill or ask any questions. Three things made me realize this. The 722 is clearly and at that time was very clearly shown as having one HD output and one SD output. DISH didn't tell you because you didn't ask or look at their website and at that time it was very usual for people to have a second TV that was SD. Second is that you were paying for HD. And third knowing there was never a deposit with DISH. In the end it's good to have choices so you can change and hopefully be happier.
Let me just add that I was not home at the install where the paper agreement was sighed and gave them a card # on the phone when the service order was placed .

I may indeed be wrong about the equipment fees my bad if true (and why I started this thread anyway but I'm not wrong on the money ,whatever they say it was for now or (other legitimate gripes and the dismissive and rude Dish TV frt. office and virtually non existent customer resolution service unless you threaten to contact a government regulatory agency . )

Maybe you missed all that before you composed this argumentative trolling comment of yours above but that's not why I jumped ship anyway which is probably another legitimate issue for this venue but not exactly this tread topic .

I phoned in my service order BTW thier Dish website is terribly bad ,badly implemented a hodgepodge amateurish mix of old and new and wonky outside of taking payments .

If you think an HDTV was unusual in 2010 then maybe we travel in different circles and buy different TV product levels my first HD ready TV was a 36" Sony XBR Wega FD HD CRT in ~ 2001-2 with an optional ATSC HDTV tuner all from Costco and we had HDTV HD net back then at some point and Blue Ray was starting up in maybe 2006 at the consumer level . I had a 55" ~ 16" deep 1080p Sony Grand Wega table top RP Lycos TV from C City in 2005 and the poor salesmen was trying to sell me an $150 -$ 200 Monster HDTV cable when I knew Comcast hooked all that up with IIRC free or inexpensive to buy cables from the HD DVR anyway and if you can see the wires (usually nothing if bad ) they are not working anyway . I use maybe $10.00 - $15.00 at the most 6-12 ft HDMI cables here .

My oldest TV (of 5 ) tier one brands here now is 2013 which ofc implies HDTV .

The Dish phone CSR spoke rather poor and heavily accented English and was difficult and to work with because of that .

OTOH if you like the Dish HD lite picture and crummy frt. office service thats fine , You may not have a decent enough TV /FP, eyesight or calibrations to care about the difference anyway and now I cant see anyone serious about picture quality using Dish HD lite anyway.

I was never happy with the Dish TV P.Q but did not know how much better ATT/ D* TV HD was even though all that and the reasons why are all over some prominent technical forums .

TBH I was very surprised to see how much better the much less compressed and co channel dynamic bit starved /bit shaped ATT/D*TV picture is looking vs Dish HD lite here . (All that would have had me at D*TV years ago had I known ) and again I was surprised at how rude and dismissive the Dish cares people and the Dish presidents office person was and maybe this being the Dish support sub forum is the appropriate place to convey my experiences it's clear to me the company could care less IMO although that may be different with some franchises and more specifically the local truck technicians who seemed to be OK and competent .

Again My background is over 30 yrs in management positions with some of the largest and most admired multi nationals (much larger than Dish ) and IMO and many others they have better reputations ,service and customer retention policy's that I was involved with first hand on many occasions .

Maybe you are arguing with the wrong dog about good business (best practices ) here ..............oh good luck with your most likely inferior Dish HD TV picture .

The new ATT/Direct TV HD regular HD channel outside of VOD picture ain't half bad but it's not a 5 star Blue Ray ,good clean OTA or high bit rate 4K UHD HDR-10 disc or download or any good HD or 4K Netflix or some decent HD iptv by a county mile but a big improvement from Dish HD lite here ?

Last edited:

Albeit I may be wrong about the deposit thats why I posted here and most folks were simply kind enough to answer me about that (and my other legitimate gripes ) .....maybe you don't mind getting had by Dish with an inferior picture and who knows what level of service anyway .

I automate all my payments and deposits anyway , snail mail and paper checks went out with the tide and high button shoes but I never digitized the agreement from 2010 I might find in my storage building/studio /workshop out back so that's my bad .

Albeit I may be wrong about the deposit thats why I posted here and most folks were simply kind enough to answer me about that (and my other legitimate gripes ) .....maybe you don't mind getting had by Dish with an inferior picture and who knows what level of service anyway .

I automate all my payments and deposits anyway , snail mail and paper checks went out with the tide and high button shoes but I never digitized the agreement from 2010 I might find in my storage building/studio /workshop out back so that's my bad .
Deposits, picture quality, agreements, even customer service, are all irrelevant to my point. Hate Dish or Love Dish - I don't care.

Whining about fees YOU chose to pay and kept paying for years is absurd. Dish didn't force you to pay anything.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)