easy question, but my head is spinning

new200

Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
I'm considering transitioning from Cable to DishNetwork and had a couple generic questions about equipment, setup, etc.

My desire is to hook up 4 TV's one with HD and one with DVR capability.

Questions: How many satellites will I need?
Do I need an additional antenna for OTA HD?
Is the install done through existing cable cables?
What is the minimum boxes I would need?
If multiple TV's can be accessed through 1 box, does it matter where those TVs are in relation to eachother?

Thanks for any help. I'm sure I'll have additional questions afterwards.

A retailer would answer all of these questions for you and illeviate all your fears. (May i suggest dishstore.net)

new200 said:
I'm considering transitioning from Cable to DishNetwork and had a couple generic questions about equipment, setup, etc.

My desire is to hook up 4 TV's one with HD and one with DVR capability.

Questions: How many satellites will I need?

Depends on your location and programming. The dish and installation should be provided for free, for standard work.

Yes.
Yes, if excisting cables are up to spec, some installers may elect to use them, with your permission.

For HD, DVR, and 2 standard tvs, 3. One 811(HD), One 625(DVR to 2 tv's) One 301 (standard)
If multiple TV's can be accessed through 1 box, does it matter where those TVs are in relation to eachother?

Since this dual tuner would be a dvr, it depends what rooms you want dvr access to. One room must have a phone line, or you'll be charged a fee for not having the 625 hooked up.
Thanks for any help. I'm sure I'll have additional questions afterwards.

Sure, fire away.

Guess I'll have to call them back - they said I didn't need an additional antenna for local OTA HD.

On the phone line thing, I have Vonage, not a traditional phone line, would i still be able to get DVR service?

I always wonder when newbies ask questions like this if they really need separate receivers/tuners for each T.V. A subscriber can save significantly on their monthly bill if they just think about how they use their T.V.s now and recognize that if they are watching something on one T.V., they rarely if ever need to have the capability to watch a different program on one of their other T.V.s.

Correct. I have 4 TVs (livingroom, bedroom, kitchen, office)

At any one time only 2 TVs would be used with different programming.

So, for my setup one TV is HD. So, that's 1 box.
Then I need a second box for 2 other tvs
then a 3rd box for the 4th tv? or can one of the STD boxes connect three TVs?

Also, do I need a traditional phone line to have DVR capabilities?

Sorry for the newbie questions. I've been on cable for years and years and never really got up to speed on Satellite

new200 said:
How many satellites will I need?
Normally just one dish500 or superdish but you may require another dish for locals (depending on your location and if you order them) and channels like Voom.
new200 said:
Yes, dish does not offer local in HD (except CBS-HD) at this time. However one TV antenna can be distributed to all TVs or receivers that require them. Use a distribution amplifier if you need four outputs from your OTA antenna.
new200 said:
As far as from the dish to the receiver then no, not usually, the coax must be at least RG6 rated at 2Ghz. Running from receiver(s) to TV most any coax would do.
new200 said:
Minimum is two. Max is four.
new200 said:
If multiple TV's can be accessed through 1 box, does it matter where those TVs are in relation to each other?
No, for dual receiver units you'll connect a coax from the receiver to the other TV so you can go 100 feet or more. The other TV will receive the signal as a UHF channel (typically) and therefore in SD (480i). You'll also have a second UHF remote for independent control from the other room.

new200 said:
On the phone line thing, I have Vonage, not a traditional phone line, would i still be able to get DVR service?
Personally I don't know anything about vonage, but you only need a phone line to avoid the $5 dual mode receiver fee which are these units (322, 522, 625 or 942). You also should have a phone line if you want to order PPV but you can order that by other means at an additional charge.

Just a question for you. Are the other TVs merely an extension of the first, in other words is it ok if all TVs are displaying the same thing? Or will each TV be viewing something different? Most people assume the latter which requires multiple receivers. But if you live alone one receiver may suffice.

PS: I would recomment the 942 over the 811. Recording HD is something you'll really enjoy and you can still send SD to another TV.

I agree. One leased 942 can service all 4 of his TV's if he distributes the TV2 output to TV's 2-4. Watch one thing on the HDTV and different (or same) programming on TV's 2-4. With PVR capability on all 4 TV's 'ta boot! I love the 942!

depending on his needs I would go with a 942, and get a couple extra UHF remotes, all would be the same but DVR on every TV in the house and HD DVR at one location

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts