eBay Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dlloyd

Original poster
May 29, 2007
I am getting ready to upgrade my old system to HD. I will need a H20 and new dish. I see receivers and dishes available on eBay. It seems alot of these are listed as 'new in box', 'factory sealed'.

What is the best route to go? Purchase the equipment out right or go through Directv?

I keep reading about this new lease stuff... I have owned my system for 12 years... I understand there are good / bad points about the lease.

Can anyone provide some good advice?

Dan

I am getting ready to upgrade my old system to HD. I will need a H20 and new dish. I see receivers and dishes available on eBay. It seems alot of these are listed as 'new in box', 'factory sealed'.

What is the best route to go? Purchase the equipment out right or go through Directv?

I keep reading about this new lease stuff... I have owned my system for 12 years... I understand there are good / bad points about the lease.

Can anyone provide some good advice?

Dan

I would contact Directv see what they can offer.;):welcome

I agree with Jhon. If you plan on staying with DirecTV for a while, there really is no point in owning the box. I negotiated myself into an HR20 with the new dish and install for $99.00. I've only been a customer for a year and a half. If your payment history is good, you should be able to come in at around that price. If you fail to get a deal at less than $100, log on to your account online and submit an e-mail with "your offer". Tell them you've seen websites such as SatGuys, where users have been able to get free or highly discounted equipment and you'd like the same deal.

You will most likely spend nearly $400 on E-Bay, plus you'll have to install or pay for it. Look at the folks who spent nearly $1000 for an HR10-250. Here they are 4 years later and the best they can get is $300, if they're lucky.

Best of luck to you and let us know how things work out for you.

Alot of times if you have had Directv for a while they will give you equipment and install it for free.

Since March 2006 Directv has been leasing the receivers to you the offers you see for NIB on Ebay are leased receivers you are just paying the lease upgrade fee. There are many in fact most offers on Ebay do not disclose this fact. Unless the H20 was purchased before March 1st 2006 it is a lease and technically not available for sale be very careful of used H20's most will be the property of D* and you may not be able to activate it after you purchase it. As others have posted D* gives good offers to upgrade existing customers why consider the potential problems of Ebay?

I agree with Jhon. If you plan on staying with DirecTV for a while, there really is no point in owning the box. I negotiated myself into an HR20 with the new dish and install for $99.00. I've only been a customer for a year and a half. If your payment history is good, you should be able to come in at around that price. If you fail to get a deal at less than $100, log on to your account online and submit an e-mail with "your offer". Tell them you've seen websites such as SatGuys, where users have been able to get free or highly discounted equipment and you'd like the same deal.

You will most likely spend nearly $400 on E-Bay, plus you'll have to install or pay for it. Look at the folks who spent nearly $1000 for an HR10-250. Here they are 4 years later and the best they can get is $300, if they're lucky.

Best of luck to you and let us know how things work out for you.

As a 10 Year D* customer, I do NOT recommend telling D* that you saw ANY of this on a forum! Under ANY circumstances! The fact that WE know they give out discounts and free equipment does NOT mean we need to be going out of our way to tell the CSR's HOW we know. Now its easy to find the info for sure, but PLEASE don't broadcast it!

The way that is worked for me and that I suggest for you is to call and act as dumb as a rock. Tell them that you are interested in the HR20 ( or H20 if you don't want a DVR, but if they'll GIVE you the DVR why not?) Say that cable is offering a great deal if you bundle all your services with them, and they have great equipment ( yeah, I know BS). USUALLY, if you have a good payment record and haven't raped them for upgrades recently, they will take care of you. Be polite but firm, and you will get what you desire, usually for the shipping fee ( 19.95). Also if you get a HD receiver you will get a new slimline dish and installation included, too. So you won't have to worry about anything but setting an appointment for the install.

I had a HD Tivo, and back in December I got a HR20 for 19.95 after all the programming credits and stuff.I had to pay 220.00 up front, but they gave it all back to me in programming credits since then. I have seen lately on dbstalk.com that D* is letting a lot of HR20's go out the door for 19.95 for folks that have Sunday Ticket or some other sports pack. So if can happen. If one CSR doesn't play ball, hang up and try again.

That's just my .02. Of course you are welcome to do it any way you want. :D

Last edited:
I think upgrading to HD like any other upgrades is free for the dish, $99 up front for each hd receiver (you get rebate for only first hd receiver in 8 wks), and you've to sign 2 yrs contract. For sure there'll be a monthly $5 or $10 for each hd rec they send you to use. And why would it matter whether you own or lease receivers when dtv recs only work with dtv?

As others have said, go with D* and get the free equipment. I would rather lease at no cost then own and pay something. I know some people feel weird about leasing but if you plan to stay with D*, the cost benefit analysis says lease all the way.

i would be very wary of buying any recent directv equipment from ebay. most of the sellers will lead you to believe that you will own the equipment....but you won't. and if they tell you they own it outright, get a copy of their original bill or double check with directv first!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)