ECHOSTAR 11 RESTRICTED BY FCC !!

Spectrum Five was acquired by General Dynamics a few years back. I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to leverage a deal with Dish to lease space on their satellites. I believe their plan was to deploy two satellites at 114.5 W, I think because they have a history of producing smaller satellites.

Correct. One is going to be circular left and the other circular right.

Spectrum Five still has a lot of work to do before they can even try to pursue some action against Echostar.

Also:
Section 25.148(b) of the Commission’s rules establishes a milestone schedule for DBS authorization holders in order to ensure that entities exercise due diligence in constructing their systems. According to this schedule, authorization holders must complete contracting for all system satellites within one year of grant; complete construction of the first satellite in the system within four years of grant; and all satellites in the system must be in operation within six years of grant. We require that Spectrum Five adhere to this milestone schedule. We also require that Spectrum Five complete its critical design review (CDR) two years after this grant. The Commission has defined critical design review as “the stage in the spacecraft implementation process at which the design and development phase ends and the manufacturing phase starts.”

Got the license on Nov 29, 2006 so are approaching two years on the clock.

I smell a squeeze play. Notice in the FCC order of today that Spectrum claims Dish will not talk to them.

Apparently, Spectrum Five LLC has been using New Frontiers Communications Consulting to lobby for them and paid $160,000 for lobbying in 2006. Just enough for retainer and some groundwork.

2007 - $320,000
2008 - $160,000 to date.

Apparently, Spectrum Five LLC has been using New Frontiers Communications Consulting to lobby for them and paid $160,000 for lobbying in 2006. Just enough for retainer and some groundwork.

2007 - $320,000
2008 - $160,000 to date.

They used the Dutch Antilles as the hook to get a Region 2 license. No way that pays the bills so they used it to gain entrance into the US market.

As of the June 30, 2008 annual report to the FCC: SS/Loral and Spectrum Five... "Both parties are progressing towards Spectrum Five's next milestone, completion of critical design review." “Critical design review” means they are still negotiating/designing the specifications for the satellite.

So, there are currently no solid specs for the Spectrum Five satellites for anyone to coordinate with. That suggests that EchoStar can’t run a MSPACE analysis (used to coordinating satellites at the ITU). That EchoStar built a more powerful satellite that works with 9 degree spacing would be ok until Spectrum Five launches. Even then, EchoStar 11 could then be moved to another location or operated in the 2 tube mode instead of 3 tube mode. Even the 2 tube mode is more power than EchoStar 8 but, they may be able to increase attenuation in the transponders to back-off the downlink power.

From start of construction to launch +IOT will take Spectrum Five at least 2 years (likely more). They still need funding for the satellite, launch, earth station, video compression / encryption equipment, customer equipment, programming and customer service.

Questions for Spectrum Five: Can they offer a programming selection comparable to cable, D* or E* or something more desirable? Will customers accept the larger dish (probably the max of 1m diameter)? Will the service be more susceptible to rain fade? Will capacity be less due to the need for higher FEC? Can they offer any local markets and what competitive disadvantage is there if they don’t? Can they find quality installers? Can they find quality sales outlets?

Remember what killed VOOM (the Rainbow 1 service before they sold to Dish)? It had more to do with sales outlets and installers! Sure VOOM was ahead of the curve on the roll out of HD TV. The problem was that Sears didn’t know how to sell VOOM and kept directing customers to D* or E*. Then, there were few installers and communications between sales and installers was so bad that customers were going back to Sears, returning equipment and buying D* or E*. I tried buying a VOOM system at four different Sears and was amazed at the problems and excuses Sears made so I left in frustration. I forwarded my buying experience to VOOM and they knew there were fighting Sears employees.

There is a hidden problem that I have only heard mentioned once. There are many sub standard multi satellite dishes currently installed with side-lobe profiles that are so bad they will get more interference from a 4.5 degree satellite. Who will pay to replace those dishes?

EchoStar may be betting that Spectrum Five won't launch. So, turn up the power on E*11!

I haven't seen one legit thing about Spectrum Five. Someone has some money and they are filing the right paperwork and have a lawyer in DC and two lobbyists doing their biddng and that is it.

They were found to be unable to launch their original plan because of interference and had to agree to lower their power output and make users use a bigger dish just to get their license. Now they want to push the FCC into tying down Dish Network before the mod to the Region 2 BSS plan submitted to the ITU is published as admitted by Spectrum Five.

It's all BS and Echostar needs to get their connections to pull the plug on the backers of Spectrum Five.

As of the June 30, 2008 annual report to the FCC: SS/Loral and Spectrum Five... "!

CommCtr -- I've been looking for the link to the 2008 annual reports- seems they have moved them from where they were posted last year.

Could you add the link?
Thanks

That's crazy. Echostar 11 is so powerful, that it interferes with satellites that don't even exist yet.

That gets "quote of the day" award ! :D

PS I think that ultimately this Spectrum 114.5 will get slapped down, because it interferes with both Dish Network and DirecTV.

I would not want to be someone who pisses off both Ergen and Malone. :eek:

Notwithstanding the above comments, if i read the order correctly E11 can't be operated in the manner proposed because its power level is such that the 114.5 satellites cannot comply with the 9degree requirements at 4.5degrees. Ultimately, Echo may have to move E11 to 105, thus changing its footprint and possibly losing access thereby to Hawaii and Alaska. This was really tricky manipulation by the Spectrum 5 people, and the FCC is letting the Dish customer base get screwed. Greenmail at its finest.

fitzie

I don't understand how a bird 4 degrees away can interfere. Aren't they given different spectrums? Don't E* and D* both have birds at 110?

And what's with the bashing of competition to E*? I for one, would like a little more competition in this space! Think, people.

I don't understand how a bird 4 degrees away can interfere. Aren't they given different spectrums? Don't E* and D* both have birds at 110?.

Spectrum Five would use the identical frequencies (specifically 12.2 to 12.7GHz) as are used for DBS satellites at 110W, 119W and other orbital locations. It is the orbital separation (currently 9 degrees) that prevents (minimizes) interference.

Yes, E* and D* do have satellites at 110W as you stated above. But, they don't use the same transponder frequencies. D* is assigned transponder numbers 28, 30 and 32 while E* is assigned the remaining 29 transponders at 110W.

Notwithstanding the above comments, if i read the order correctly E11 can't be operated in the manner proposed because its power level is such that the 114.5 satellites cannot comply with the 9degree requirements at 4.5degrees. Ultimately, Echo may have to move E11 to 105, thus changing its footprint and possibly losing access thereby to Hawaii and Alaska. This was really tricky manipulation by the Spectrum 5 people, and the FCC is letting the Dish customer base get screwed. Greenmail at its finest.

fitzie
Actually, I don't think so. Spectrum Five is trying to pull a fast one by getting the FCC to act before the ITU publishes Echostars' approved change to the Region 2 BSS plan. E* already submitted it but the way govt agencies work, if it is not published, it doesn't exist so they have issued a clarification to E11's license based on an obsolete plan from the ITU. Whoever is funding Spectrum Five is quite the troublemaker.

Charlie will continue with his plans and force this hidden shell company out into the open.

Echostar 11 - So powerful it interferes with satellites that don't even exist.

One question I have, does this mean we will have a third DBS company in the U.S. and what will there programming be? Will it be more CNN, ESPN, HBO, etc. or possibly Western Euopean programming? OK that was 3 questions.

One question I have, does this mean we will have a third DBS company in the U.S. and what will there programming be? Will it be more CNN, ESPN, HBO, etc. or possibly Western Euopean programming? OK that was 3 questions.
You are way ahead of yourself here. Spectrum Five doesn't even have a sat on the drawing board yet.:eek:

Isn't it about time we squish these made up companies and patent trolls.

We saw Jr Ewing in the 80's doing funny things in business and we were shocked.
Now days with the JR's in control on everything, we turn the other cheek. How sad.

Yeah. The dish is invisible, as are the receivers. Programming is invisible as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts