Echostar 16 at 61.5W

Yup they were trying to do too much at one time when in reality there was a lot more background work that needs to be done first to make it all work.

Sometimes the cart feels its faster then the horse. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

So the bird already broke?

Who knows what mystery is taking place. 69 days after launch and nothing. The spots must have shut off. That slot is our worse nightmare, it always have. In the mid 2000 the signal was WEAK but my dish was a 1.8 CM dish ( 600.00 dollars ) and I received a good assortment. Later a new sat is launched and never reached it's orbit and it was rendered useless. Years later E15 was launched with mega power in our area so they took all the programming out and left us nothing. And now who knows what's going on and although we have SP70 and CONUS coverage which is also VERY strong, let's see if they give us all the channels we have been paying all these years. This time no channels and the word serious downgrade will become a reality. 200.00 plus a month is not what we are getting and I believe that many "mixed arc" zombies will be thinking about doing. If by Feb 5 I see nothing, they will see no currency in a Company filled with internal employee problems, lawsuits and a guy from Colorado who shows not to care.

Let me go back to sleep till the 5th.

If the satellite was really broke they would have to file an 8K with the SEC, since it would be material to the earnings of the company.

But, people forget just how complex a satellite operation is. They have to have a signal from every TV station in the country routed to the appropriate uplink location, have it packaged for uplink (combined with other channels on the same TP, compressed and muxed), and finally uplinked. This one satellite could end up with a thousand or so locals carried.

To try to move all these channels from one satellite to another and add in a bunch of new stations is a very large task. They probably did all the easy ones right away (channels already being uplinked from the same uplink station). I am sure they have been provisioning and testing all the other moves, but still a lot has to be done and there are probably only a few engineers that really know how to do it (I would speculate less than 10 since once it is done they have very little to do).

I would guess they put things on hold because this transition is dealing with lots of local markets and what if something goes wrong in the moves right before the superbowl and it knocks out a whole local market? That would cause an insane amount of calls to Dish and lots of negative impact. Considering they are putting everything on hold until after the Superbowl, I would assume that is a precautionary measure and a smart one in my opinion.

If the satellite was really broke they would have to file an 8K with the SEC, since it would be material to the earnings of the company.

I am sure they have been provisioning and testing all the other moves, but still a lot has to be done and there are probably only a few engineers that really know how to do it

That's is not funny to have a 14 million sub Company and engineers that are in doubt of pulling it off. They must be getting minimum wage and or they need import some tech brainpower from some country.

I am sure they have been provisioning and testing all the other moves, but still a lot has to be done and there are probably only a few engineers that really know how to do it

That's is not funny to have a 14 million sub Company and engineers that are in doubt of pulling it off. They must be getting minimum wage and or they need import some tech brainpower from some country.

With less than one satellite launched in a year, how often does Dish need to do this? Are they going to staff up to 100 engineers to sit around and play cards for a year at a time? This satellite being launched late is probably most of the problem. Had it launched 6 months ago, they would be doing it at a much slower pace. They have an FCC deadline to finish carrying all the channels in HD.

I tested one time for a job at one of the uplink centers. It was not what you call an easy test and I was just finishing broadcast engineering school at the time. I don't remember how much the pay was but wasn't too bad. Now where one had to live for either of the W. uplink centers aren't exactly bustling hubs of activity.

I think the Super Bowl may be a big part. They probably don't want legions of mad "movers" cut off.

I could also see complications in the new setup. For instance, my locals have always been few from the Monee uplink. But according to info at the "other" site, my spot will now be uplinked from New Braunfels. Bet there could be issues in adding the uplink feed. And I'm bet I'm not in the only spot effected by a switch in uplinks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)