Echostar 16 at 61.5W

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
EchoStar 16 has begun it's move to 61.5W. Presently at 66.8W and moving East at 0.3 degrees per day. Estimated arrival around January 15 (1st estimate).

What does this mean for Dish customers? Are we going to get new HD channels? Is this the reason for the increase of fees from Dish? I am just wondering.

What does this mean for Dish customers? Are we going to get new HD channels? Is this the reason for the increase of fees from Dish? I am just wondering.

At least for Puerto Rico it is to provide all those channels we have been missing and the signal is so strong on our spots that it can be picked up with a 17" dish. As far as more HD is not the reason. It will provide many US markets with SPOTS and more spots.:popcorn

At least for Puerto Rico it is to provide all those channels we have been missing and the signal is so strong on our spots that it can be picked up with a 17" dish. As far as more HD is not the reason. It will provide many US markets with SPOTS and more spots.:popcorn
That sums it up nicely. Only thing I would add is one can kiss the conus locals on 61.5W goodby.

There was another epoch snapshot at 3 am Universal time today. This one had it at 10 km below GEO and moving east 0.125 degrees/day. Going to take a couple more updates to see solid data.

Are we sure that, with E16, Puerto Rico will regain service at 61.5? Dish could have served PR just fine using E15 and did not. They moved nationals to 72 instead for no reason I can fathom.

Are we sure that, with E16, Puerto Rico will regain service at 61.5? Dish could have served PR just fine using E15 and did not. They moved nationals to 72 instead for no reason I can fathom.
For sure, PR can get the SD feeds from E16. Spot beam 70 is Puerto Rico and need to wait to see if they use it.

From the specs I read there are spots dedicated just for PR along with lots of spots for CONUS.:rant:

For sure, PR can get the SD feeds from E16. Spot beam 70 is Puerto Rico and need to wait to see if they use it.

If DISH does not provide HD from 61.5 this time I will really downgrade my 199.00 a month bill to 50.00. That is a fact. SD is a non starter. They can put up 1000 SD channels and it would be like nothing happened.

I made a resolution for 2013 and is that I will not pay full payment when so many HD channels have been missing for so long. Its hard to think that a Company that has been stalled with no growth and stuck at 14 million would do such a thing. Better get moving DISH if you don't wan't to face a Fiscal Cliff of your own. With people in the US facing less growth, more taxes & credit rating downgrade people will end up with much less cash to spend on TV.

DISH is playing with fire when prices go up in Feb and we can't even get the BB package lineup in PR while DTV has been moving here with multiple LNB's for more HD.

I am just being realistic. We in PR shall be watching what happens at 61.5. with HD.:tombstone:

If DISH does not provide HD from 61.5 this time I will really downgrade my 199.00 a month bill to 50.00. That is a fact. SD is a non starter. They can put up 1000 SD channels and it would be like nothing happened.

I made a resolution for 2013 and is that I will not pay full payment when so many HD channels have been missing for so long. Its hard to think that a Company that has been stalled with no growth and stuck at 14 million would do such a thing. Better get moving DISH if you don't wan't to face a Fiscal Cliff of your own. With people in the US facing less growth, more taxes & credit rating downgrade people will end up with much less cash to spend on TV.

DISH is playing with fire when prices go up in Feb and we can't even get the BB package lineup in PR while DTV has been moving here with multiple LNB's for more HD.

I am just being realistic. We in PR shall be watching what happens at 61.5. with HD.:tombstone:
Unless they flip the HD from Nimiq 5 to E16 and the SD from 61.5W to Nimiq, you are ****. But, they might do it. Ciel 2 is similar with 1/2 spots and the other half HD, so there is hope.

After bouncing around a little, they gave us a new snapshot today (epoch)

Echostar 16 is at 64.5W and 53 km below geostationary.

Traveling east 0.68 degrees/day and will arrive at 61.5W this weekend (saturday-sunday Jan 5/6)

Transition to service will probably begin early next week.

Unless they flip the HD from Nimiq 5 to E16 and the SD from 61.5W to Nimiq, you are ****. But, they might do it. Ciel 2 is similar with 1/2 spots and the other half HD, so there is hope.

How many TPs are in the Puerto Rico spot beam? If all the spot TPs are in it, they could move quite a bit to 61.5.