Echostar 16 at 61.5W

Is this really going to happen? It's great having my local on CONUS so as I travel I don't need to call D to update my location. Also I am on an EA antenna so when we go west in the RV there won't be locals available, I would need to carry two dishes and know when I need a WA or EA setup. This could be a real bummer!!
D is Directv E is Echostar which is Dish Net. So you need to either use E or DN for abbreviation. And probably you will be losing your conus channels.

The issue with the Conus locals is they take away space for an actual national channel, just to serve a local market.
Looking at the SatMaps though, I don't see many CONUS beams (if any) on the new E16 satellite, so what have we really gained with the new satellite? The replaced E15 will be servicing Brazil.

Looking at the SatMaps though, I don't see many CONUS beams (if any) on the new E16 satellite, so what have we really gained with the new satellite? The replaced E15 will be servicing Brazil.

It has one (1) conus beam and most subs will not notice any change when it goes live. Spots will change in that most will cover a smaller area (more focused beams) when compared to Echostar 12. This provides the ability to use many more spots. EchoStar 16 Conus - http://satmaps.satelliteguys.us/home/echostar-16-61-5w-conus-plus

Epoch update: The last update was at approximately 1:00 am today. EchoStar 16 was on station at 61.5W at that time. So, things will start to happen soon!!!!

It has one (1) conus beam and most subs will not notice any change when it goes live. Spots will change in that most will cover a smaller area (more focused beams) when compared to Echostar 12. This provides the ability to use many more spots. EchoStar 16 Conus - http://satmaps.satelliteguys.us/home/echostar-16-61-5w-conus-plus
So are confirming to me that the argument that E16 will free up CONUS beams for more national channels just doesn't hold water. Thank you.

So are confirming to me that the argument that E16 will free up CONUS beams for more national channels just doesn't hold water. Thank you.

??? How many sats will be active at 61.5 a month from now? Wouldn't more spots on 16 mean conus locals on other sats can revert to national channels? Am I missing something?

Is this really going to happen? It's great having my local on CONUS so as I travel I don't need to call D to update my location. Also I am on an EA antenna so when we go west in the RV there won't be locals available, I would need to carry two dishes and know when I need a WA or EA setup. This could be a real bummer!!

Yes, as noted, it seems CONUS locals are not long for this world. Inefficient use of CONUS transponders. And yes, you MIGHT need two antennas, depending upon the LoS where you travel. Or you could try sticking with WA, perhaps even a ViP211(K) setup with a Tailgater antenna. A bit hard on the wallet, but remarkably easy to set up. What receiver do you currently use?

??? How many sats will be active at 61.5 a month from now? Wouldn't more spots on 16 mean conus locals on other sats can revert to national channels? Am I missing something?
Most of the CONUS locals were already moved to 61.5 (E15) months ago, the ones being replaced by spots on E16. The remaining CONUS markets on 77W will remain there, as there are no spots on E16 pointing to those markets (Jacksonville FL, Cincinnati, Beckley WV, off the top of my head). In other words, no net gain in CONUS beams. E15 is being moved from 61.5 for Brazilian service, as I understand it.

I use a 722K. I spend half my year at my eastern arc base location so I will need the EA to receive those locals. the rest of the year I will need an EA some of the time and WA other times to receive local networks. Right now I am in Corpus Christi, TX and locals are from WA Sats. What happens when switching between the to dishnets? Does my smart card recognize either satellite array, or is an account change required by dish?

I thought that tighter spots might be the case. So will probably need a larger dish for my "LIL" for DFW. I have a .9m I may replace my .7m.

I still possibly see some markets on 77, it is a limited use slot for the US, so it does not interfere with Canada. But, I expect a lot of current 77 markets to move to 61.5 and possibly new HD markets to appear on 77.

I personally don't see them leaving any locals on 77. Or at least I'd be very surprised. I just looked over the spot beams on Echo 16 and it looks to me that all the remaining markets on the 77 location are covered completely by one spot or another on Echo 16. I guess it comes down to how much space they take up with each market with the additional channels they plan on adding.

I use a 722K. I spend half my year at my eastern arc base location so I will need the EA to receive those locals. the rest of the year I will need an EA some of the time and WA other times to receive local networks. Right now I am in Corpus Christi, TX and locals are from WA Sats. What happens when switching between the to dishnets? Does my smart card recognize either satellite array, or is an account change required by dish?

Run checkswitch when changing dishes.

Echos16 will be the only active sat @ 61.5, much like ceil 2 in the western arc. E12 & E3 will be spares.

I personally don't see them leaving any locals on 77. Or at least I'd be very surprised. I just looked over the spot beams on Echo 16 and it looks to me that all the remaining markets on the 77 location are covered completely by one spot or another on Echo 16. I guess it comes down to how much space they take up with each market with the additional channels they plan on adding.
The satmaps for E16 does not show a spot beam for markets like Cincinnati, which is currently CONUS on 77W. AFAIK, the spots are built in to the satellite and can't be changed once launched, correct? If so, then Cincinnati and other markets on 77W currently will have to stay there, correct?

The satmaps for E16 does not show a spot beam for markets like Cincinnati, which is currently CONUS on 77W. AFAIK, the spots are built in to the satellite and can't be changed once launched, correct? If so, then Cincinnati and other markets on 77W currently will have to stay there, correct?
Correct, the spot areas are fixed and not moveable. I have not looked, but would be surprised if there is no spot covering Cincinnati since E16 spots essentially blanket the country.

Yeah, I understand they aren't necessarily labled by that exact city. However, assuming transponder space this is what I'm looking at for the current markets on the 77 location.

I do definitely see what you're getting at about Cincinnati and a couple others. Lexington, KY in particular. Will be interesting.

Jacksonville, FL is completely covered in the Tallahassee beam
https://sites.google.com/site/satkml/home/echostar-16-61-5w-sp10-tallahassee

Bluefield, WV is covered in the Roanoke beam
https://sites.google.com/site/satkml/home/echostar-16-sp32-roanoke

Evansville, Paducah, Springfield and possibly Louisville are covered by the St Louis beam
https://sites.google.com/site/satkml/home/echostar-16-61-5w-sp35-saint-louis

Correct, the spot areas are fixed and not moveable. I have not looked, but would be surprised if there is no spot covering Cincinnati since E16 spots essentially blanket the country.

Unless the maps are wrong I can't seem to find a beam that covers northeastern KY and southwestern OH well. Not arguing because I would certainly think they'd cover everything east of the Mississippi at least but I can't locate one.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)