Echostar 23 Relocates to 110W

D

DishSubLA

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 9, 2006
OK, glad to hear that. A wise move Dish. The birds there are getting old, but they could hang in longer than they were designed for, but I think they have been operated at levels that can shorten the life to LESS than ideal.

nelson61

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
Echostar 23 will arrive at the 109.9W location later today or early tomorrow.

Presently at 109.7W
If the uplink report shows a flurry of transponder changes for the 110W slot during the next couple of weeks, it may be related to moving some channels to the new satellite.

pattykay

pattykay

formerly crodrules
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
It has been for many weeks.
Yes, and James Long specifically said not to ask about it. From the final post in last month's Uplink Activity thread on that other forum:
"The Uplink Activity capture system is currently down.
No restoration date is known.

Please do not ask."

Has anyone asked James about it anyway? :biggrin
(I would ask him myself, but I don't want to risk ticking him off again.)

MikeD-C05

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
Yes, and James Long specifically said not to ask about it. From the final post in last month's Uplink Activity thread on that other forum:
"The Uplink Activity capture system is currently down.
No restoration date is known.

Please do not ask."

Has anyone asked James about it anyway? :biggrin
(I would ask him myself, but I don't want to risk ticking him off again.)
I haven't had that toxic problem since I left DBSTAlk website years ago. What a character he is. :(

pattykay

pattykay

formerly crodrules
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
I did a little more digging on James Long's uplink site. In the fine print at the bottom of the individual pages that list channels by transponder (for example) it shows the last update as 5/6/2022 at around 2:50 AM. (Previously, these pages were updated each morning around 6:00 AM Eastern.) This is in spite of the fact that the uplink capture system has been down since 4/22/2022. Is it possible that James is still updating those pages about once per week? It is just that we would have to go in and manually look for any changes ourselves (comparing to an older saved version) rather than having an automatic uplink report generated to tell us what the changes are.

nelson61

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
James has a really great site that has taken a lot of his time to keep it in top notch shape. Information not available anywhere else.

I wish him well and hope he returns.

• Love
Reactions: pattykay and Bobby
pattykay

pattykay

formerly crodrules
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
What uplink report?
Update: Today, all I get on James's uplink site is "Error establishing a database connection." So now, we cannot even access the archive of older uplinks. :(

I am not sure if this means that he is fixing the uplink site, or if it is gone for good.

Individual satellite pages still work. (For now?) Here is the relevant page for the 110 satellite, last updated 5/6/2022:

pattykay

pattykay

formerly crodrules
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
Update: Today, all I get on James's uplink site is "Error establishing a database connection." So now, we cannot even access the archive of older uplinks. :(
Okay, the uplink site is now back to the same "system down" (since April 22, 2022) message that it had before. The archive is back. Still not sure what happened to the site this morning, though.

CostaRicaGuy

CostaRicaGuy

Nov 27, 2016
San José, Costa Rica
Nothing has changed in that orbital slot "110w".
Whatever satellites (echostar10, echostar11) are on slot 110w, still main transponder 12399v21500 is pretty weak.
Once newly built Echostar 23 "kicks in", signal strength should go, new transponders will pop up.
10 foot ku band off-set satellite dish antenna pointed at 110w. Central America.
I saw the echostar 23 footprint (which was meant for Brazil) and it should be great for this part of the region.
Crossing my fingers.

WhatsApp Image 2022 05 26 at 91939 AM

WhatsApp Image 2022 06 02 at 84325 AM