Echostar 5 Transfer Delay

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
Echostar has requested 60 day extension to move Echostar 5 from 129W to 148W.

Software problem has caused delay in transfer of all service to Ciel 2

EXTRACT FROM APPLICATION

"The Ciel 2 satellite arrived at the nominal 129° W.L. orbital location and DISH Network
began transferring traffic from EchoStar 5 on February 3, 2009. Due to a software-related issue,
traffic transfer will take longer than expected. As a result, DISH Network expects to complete​
traffic transfer by the middle of April, at which time, it will begin to relocate EchoStar 5 to 148°"

Echostar has requested 60 day extension to move Echostar 5 from 129W to 148W.

Software problem has caused delay in transfer of all service to Ciel 2

EXTRACT FROM APPLICATION

"The Ciel 2 satellite arrived at the nominal 129° W.L. orbital location and DISH Network
began transferring traffic from EchoStar 5 on February 3, 2009. Due to a software-related issue,
traffic transfer will take longer than expected. As a result, DISH Network expects to complete​
traffic transfer by the middle of April, at which time, it will begin to relocate EchoStar 5 to 148°"

What else besides Indy HD locals are still on E5?

It would have been great if it said this instead......

traffic transfer will take longer than expected. As a result, DISH Network expects to complete
traffic transfer soon, then it will begin to relocate EchoStar 5 to 148°"

If it was anything other than Indy locals on T5, I'd be surprised. Wouldn't people in the SE and NW be reporting periodic outages from the tumbler if more content was on Old Tumbler. It must have something to do with uplinks to T5 or broadcast from T5 on Ciel 2.

Once T5 is transferred to Ciel2 it will become a spotbeam and other local channels will be added at the time. I believe Lincoln, Ne is one to be put on spotbeam 20 on T5. This would be good so that my parents could get some of there HD locals. Currently they are out of the spotbeam from 61.5.

Could be problem with turning tp5 on Ciel-2 - we need to call ppl in each DMA with SB covering by Ciel-2 tp5 to check real spectrum.
If you guys need spectrum analyzer - search for "BLSA" here.

If it was anything other than Indy locals on T5, I'd be surprised. Wouldn't people in the SE and NW be reporting periodic outages from the tumbler if more content was on Old Tumbler. It must have something to do with uplinks to T5 or broadcast from T5 on Ciel 2.

From what I understand, trasnponer 5 is also the issue causing a delay in the launch of HD locals here in Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA. We we originally told it would be in March...then late March...then "soon", now there is no timetable for us. Of course, no one from Dish has given a reason, but I have heard from various people that a Transponder 5 issue is our hold-up. So, looks like Indy locals aren't the only ones effected by this problem.

From what I understand, trasnponer 5 is also the issue causing a delay in the launch of HD locals here in Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA. We we originally told it would be in March...then late March...then "soon", now there is no timetable for us. Of course, no one from Dish has given a reason, but I have heard from various people that a Transponder 5 issue is our hold-up. So, looks like Indy locals aren't the only ones effected by this problem.

It pushed yours, Lincoln, Nebraska, and some markets in N. California and Texas as well.

Roanoke is now scheduled for May 13.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...-chat-recap-april-9-2009-a-2.html#post1776952

In a previous investor statement, Dish estimated the end of life for E*5 to be June 2009. If E*5 really is down to Indy only, they probably don't need to burn as much fuel as before trying to control the wobble, but I still have to question if it has enough left to make it to 148°. That hasn't been mentioned in the more recent investor statements or FCC applications.

Could be problem with turning tp5 on Ciel-2 - we need to call ppl in each DMA with SB covering by Ciel-2 tp5 to check real spectrum.
If you guys need spectrum analyzer - search for "BLSA" here.
Would seem to be a wasted effort with the only signal on Tp5 currently being ConUS from EchoStar 5. I can see it here in PA. I am sure athers can see it in the west and south.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)