EchoStar (Dish): We Have 70 HDTV Channels!

DishNtwkBoy12684

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Aug 30, 2007
Saw this article this morn, thought yall with HD might like to hear!:eureka

EchoStar: We Have 70 HDTV Channels!
The satcaster makes a case for being the HD leader.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (September 13, 2007) -- EchoStar says its Dish Network service is now offering 70 High-Definition channels.

While DIRECTV is generating headlines with its planned high-def expansion, the satcaster's rival says it's delivering HD in volume now.

EchoStar this week added the Big Ten Network HD to its lineup, giving it 39 national HD channels, more than any other TV provider.
“EchoStar is proud to solidify its leadership in HD by continuing to offer the most national HD channels in the country," EchoStar spokeswoman Francie Bauer said today.

DIRECTV says it will offer 70 HD channels by month's end and 100 high-def channels by the end of the year. The satcaster launched a new satellite in July to expand its HD capacity and is scheduled to launch another one next year to expand it further.

But
counting regional sports channels and PPV channels, EchoStar says it has 70 HD channels now. The satellite service yesterday added eight HD PPV channels which offer new movies in high-def for $4.99 each.

EchoStar's list of 70 HD channels includes 39 national HD channels, 18 regional sports channels (most pro sports broadcasts can only be seen in the subscriber's local market), nine HD PPV channels and four local network channels (not available in all markets.)

The company's rivals are likely to discount EchoStar's claim of 70 HD channels, noting the regional sports channel's limitations and the fact that some EchoStar markets can't get the local channels in HD. In addition, a PPV channel is usually not defined as a full channel in the industry.

site:
EchoStar: We Have 70 HDTV Channels!

In addition, a PPV channel is usually not defined as a full channel in the industry.
If there is content there 24/7/365, it is a channel. What shouldn't be counted are events channels where there is programming available less than a few hours a week. I don't think barker channels should be counted either.

Well they count music channels in the regular TV packages... There are not 100 more video channels in AT200 than AT100. This channel inflation started long ago and is now just entering HDTV channel counting.

"IF" D* uses RSNs, PPVs, LILs to reach their 70 or 100 count, then E* should also. I kept getting the impression the only way D* would reach 70, or 100 by the end of the year is if they DID count those, since there didnt appear that a count of 100 National HD channels had even stated they'd be operational by 12/31/07.

Who cares if its a zillion channels? If youre getting the channels you want, enjoy them!

I hope D* and E* have every HD channel out there. Then they can take the battle to the PQ department. And we all WIN!!

However, where are all the E* shills who were D* bashing about false advertising?

Anyway..ths is dumb just be happy with all the HD.

Counting the 18 RSN's (of which I get none) is somewhat of a joke....
If everyone had an RSN, it should maybe count as one.....
I do think the PPV's should count, at least they are there if you want to watch.....

Counting the 18 RSN's (of which I get none) is somewhat of a joke....
If everyone had an RSN, it should maybe count as one.....
I do think the PPV's should count, at least they are there if you want to watch.....

Both sides will count their RSNs. I agree with the post that if you are happy with what you are getting, great!

I am a happy camper, and will be happier with CNN HD, Weather Channel HD, Sci FI HD, and more premium movie channels. :)

"IF" D* uses RSNs, PPVs, LILs to reach their 70 or 100 count, then E* should also. I kept getting the impression the only way D* would reach 70, or 100 by the end of the year is if they DID count those, since there didnt appear that a count of 100 National HD channels had even stated they'd be operational by 12/31/07.

I find D*'s claims questionable. They have Sci-Fi HD advertised on their web site as one of the HD channels "coming soon". There is not so much as a peep on the Sc-Fi channel's web site about an future HD channel being offered. Unless D* plans on simply upconverting Sci-Fi and other channels, which isn't really HD. Although, it wouldn't be much worse than their current HD Lite that they offer on their other HD channels. :rolleyes:

This sounds like someone made it up. Dish Network has made no such claims, they simply keep adding channels and let others talk.

This article is the only place this claim has been seen - without attribution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts