Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I almost forgot... Today at NOON Echostar will be holding their quarterly Earnings conference call.

You can listen to the chat LIVE by CLICKING HERE

Our Chat Room will be open for this chat. I do not believe that Charlie will be on this chat, however with all the changes as of late he could be there.

HELP WANTED - I am looking for someone to do a live recap of the call for us, if you are interested reply here. I would try to do it but I have a lot going on today. Thanks!

I don't know if I should post it here but here is the 10K filing. Some good information in that document.

Attachments

• ECHOSTARCOMMUNI10K[1].pdf
    451.1 KB · Views: 174
The 10k's are always a good read. :D

You can find out some very good info which is not really public yet, I am reading through it now.

If anyone else is reading it feel free to point out the goodies.

"While we expect to continue to pursue opportunities to bundle our DISH Network satellite television service with the voice and data services of AT&T and other telecommunications providers, AT&T has begun deployment of fiber-optic networks that will allow it to offer video services directly to millions of homes as early as the second half of 2006. Other telecommunications companies have announced similar plans. While it is possible that the fourth quarter 2005 revision to our AT&T agreement may drive increased subscriber growth, our net new subscriber additions and certain of our other key operating metrics could continue to be adversely affected to the extent AT&T further de-emphasizes, or discontinues altogether, its efforts to acquire DISH Network subscribers, and as a result of competition from video services offered by AT&T or other telecommunications companies."

I don't see this partnership lasting very long. As we all know, AT&T has been strategically positioning themselves through acquisitions to offer their own video service. It's just a matter of time before they deploy it.

"with regard to HD we've all been surprised on the slow adoption of HD"

Maybe if they didn't make the cost to dive in so prohibitive it would have taken off faster. It's really a huge investment for a new HD enthusiant after spending a couple grand or more on a new tv.

"In order to increase our subscriber base we must control our rate of turnover, or churn...we plan to offer advanced products to existing customers through our lease promotions and to initiate other programs to improve our overall subscriber retention."

Ok, if the 622 lease upgrade program for 921/942 owners is any indication...then I say churn for the "advanced customers" is going through the roof.;)

I'd say their 18 month commitment requirement (plus the loss of equipment at the end) is going a long way towards their goal. No one is being forced to upgrade to the 622. You only have to do it if you want the additional programming. Compared to cable, Dish's rates are still low - even for HD programming. It's their FEES which are the killer!

Also, their rates are currently above what FIOS is offering for their initial roll out, and competition will only be increasing. I wonder if we'll start to see special geographic promotions, like what they did in the NYC area last year. Only targeted at fiber markets instead.....

pdxsam said:
"with regard to HD we've all been surprised on the slow adoption of HD"

That was an actual quote?

Good lord, somebody tell them that we customers have all been surprised on the slow adoption of NEW HD CHANNELS THAT DON'T REQUIRE AN EQUIPMENT UPGRADE THAT WE HAVE TO WAIT THREE MONTHS FOR.

But I'm not bitter or anything.

danm2z said:
Also, their rates are currently above what FIOS is offering for their initial roll out, and competition will only be increasing. I wonder if we'll start to see special geographic promotions, like what they did in the NYC area last year. Only targeted at fiber markets instead.....
I think their rates and/or fees will need to drop in response to the Telcos. Cable prices in FiOS TV markets have already dropped 15% or more...combined with bundled voice and data savings, Charlie will need to do something about my $121 per month video bill when FiOS will be doing it better (hopefully) and certainly cheaper. Plus, just to add insult to injury...it looks like satellite TV service is going to receive a flat 5% tax starting in 2007 here in Virginia, which will raise my video bill to almost $130.

Additionally, the House is getting ready to roll-out legislation where:

- Telcos will be provided national cable franchise relief until they achieve 15% market penetration.

- It would protect Telcos from predatory-pricing tactics by cable incumbents. If a cable company cuts its rates to meet or beat phone company video prices, they would be required to make price cuts available to their entire local subscriber base and not just in areas the phone company is rolling out service. I think D* and E* would be held to this same standard.

DBS has seen double-digit subscriber growth for a number of years...I just don't see this trend continuing much longer. I've been happy with E* service, but as soon as FiOS is available in my area it all becomes a matter of who can provide the most bang for my buck. I would have no problems call E* and asking them to match FiOS prices and waive all fees for my owned equipment in order to keep me a happy customer. Choice is good!

Airblair said:
That was an actual quote?

Good lord, somebody tell them that we customers have all been surprised on the slow adoption of NEW HD CHANNELS THAT DON'T REQUIRE AN EQUIPMENT UPGRADE THAT WE HAVE TO WAIT THREE MONTHS FOR.

But I'm not bitter or anything.

It was on the earnings call it was just one of those fast little quips inside of a bigger answer. It caught my ear and I paraphrased as best I could but that's the gist of the comment surprised at slow adoption

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts