echostar is in trouble, i want to give them one last chance

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

korsjs

Welcome To SatelliteGuys
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2004
Land O Lakes, FL
open thoughts to echostar/dishnetwork

first of all, i have been a loyal customer sine year 2000. at one time i thought you had an advantage over direct tv with your ability to bring new and advanced equipment to the satellite industry.

the only problem is: way to many people have problems with your product. i will not go in specifics, because everyone on this website knows what the problem is. i will give two examples and leave it at that.

one: the number one satellite website on the web is satelliteguys.us. they have a specific fourm to help with all the errors your company has brought to all of us. salelliteguys does not have a similar forum for direct tv. also, browse through both the direct tv and dish network forums. you will see way more complaints with dish network than direct tv.

two: the number two satellite website on the web dbstalk has specific forums to deal with all the shortcomings of dish network, but they have none for direct tv.

in conclusion, when the two top satellite websites have trouble shooting / complaint/ help forums for your company, but not the other, it comes very clear that major problems are with your company.

i would like to stay with dish network, but will tell you why i can't.

unclear with hdtv
no name based recording for existing customers
no clear plan for mpeg 4 or the upgrade of existing customers
the plan for lease only receivers
charge for pvr for each receiver vice account
promises broken about ability to add distant hdtv local when allowed

you have six months before my commitment runs out. many more are like me. what can you do to convince us to stay?

Though I must say that I do agree with you, you have done nothing but butchered Dish since I noticed that DirecTV avatar! Do I want more HD-yes, would I like NBR-yes, and would I like no DVR Charge-yes, but they are a company and they have to make money.

Dish has been nothing but good to me, as a whole. But their recievers are lacking, and their honesty is so degraded that it is not funny. Do I like this, no, but, I still do not go around butchering a company that has treated most so well.

Their programming prices are superb and CSR's, though not knowlegdable, have always been good to me.

This company needs more than anything else, a better leader. Now, Charlie, I like you a lot, but you have no idea on what is happening within your company. Your officials promise us something ans do not deliver, however, I do admire your resistance to the big media companies and your willingness to get us consumers a good and fair price for programming. There needs to be more collabaration within the company, and though I do not work there and cannot attest for their cooperation within departments, it seems to me that a company dishing out false promises and little faithfulness is working together cooperatively.

Now I know Korsjs that I said you are butchering dish and I still believe you are, but I on the other hand consider myself pleasntly speaking of the problem and trying to get a paint across in a mannerful way, unlike your continuous rants. Dish does need some work, and some HD, and some better Software, and better Charlie Chats, but they have been good in two areas--programming and amicability. And I say this because I wish well for them because I myself have a certain likeness for this company just because they have been the utmost friendly to me.

I am sure you have violated copyright law by using the DirecTV logo.

Next, I am a current customer and my 522 has NBR.

I was a DirecTV customer since day 1. I am with dish for many reasons. Better receivers. Listening to customers and making changes. In the several years I had DirecTV I know of one software download. Anything else was called buying a new receiver. Investing money for changes. Locals came and 3 of my 4 receivers could not get multiple sats. I had to purchase them. This extended a contract by one year. As soon as that year was up, I called Dish and ordered the system. And as a lease. I don't have to put "capital" out to subscribe to programming. Cable doesn't require you to purchase the set-top box. Same with Dish.

Do I love everything of dish? Nope. Biggest problem is my very infrequent BSOD with the 811. 522, nothing, even if it did not have NBR, that would not be a bug, but a feature needed. The 311 is fine. Superdish is fine. I would like more HD. By the latest launches, it looks better. ALL pictures are better than what the DirecTV receivers delivered.

Plus, for a greater programming package, Dish costs less.

hpman247 said:
This company needs more than anything else, a better leader. Now, Charlie, I like you a lot, but you have no idea on what is happening within your company. Your officials promise us something ans do not deliver, however, I do admire your resistance to the big media companies and your willingness to get us consumers a good and fair price for programming.
I also like Charlie, I have sat down with him on a few occations and it is sad to me how he has no clue on whats going on at his company. And whenever you try to clue him in to help him out he always goes on the defense instead of saying "Thank you, I will look into it"

I must admit I don't like it when Charlie says he is trying to save us money, because even when he adds nothing the price still goes up. If I can pay my bill I should be able to decide if I want to pay for specific channels or not.

As you may or may not know a price increase is coming the first quarter of next year, this year Dish will throw us a bone and add 3 new channels (Oxygen, Encore MoviePlex, and CSTV) but don't forget over the last year we have lost a couple of channels as well (CNN/SI and CNN-FN).

And we are also coming to the time of the year where Charlie goes on TV and tells us we may be losing our favorite channel because programmers want more money and he dosent want to pay it. Of course he will say this with a straight face after just raising our rates almost 6%.

Maybe it is time for Charlie to ride off in the sunset, I believe it is the best thing for him to do if he really cares about his company, because at the moment the ship is on rough seas, and the Captain of the ship is not at the helm.

I agree 100%

I want to hear from somebody in the know to tell me what the plan is for HD.

Is it Mpeg4?
Is it the 942? Lease or buy?
What HD will they offer?
Do I have an upgrade path 811, 522, 508, 921??

remember, customers are king

I've been a customer with Dishnet since 1995. Man how time flies. In that time, I've paid well over $600 out of pocket for receivers, but each time with the exception of the first, I was buying something that was inferior to what was available to a new subscriber. Keep in mind that I'm talking well before HDTV was even a thought. I've been pretty happy with my 508, even though I did pay $199 for it, but it's been a solid and reliable receiver. Sure, it could be better, it could have name based recording, it could be a dual-tuner unit, it could have HD capability...in other words, it should be a 921. Would I buy a 921? Nope. I'd switch to DirectTV or Voom(just saw an ad about them) before I'd do that because, frankly, watching TV has become a luxury that I can live without...worst case scenario I can call my friendly cable company and they would bring me a dual-turner DVR with HDTV with nothing out of pocket.

My point is, something in Dishnetwork is going to have to give. They are going to have to bite the bullet and do what it takes to be the #1 provider at the lowest cost or they are just going to lose customers, and then it will get harder and harder to do this.

What I find interesting is that when I initially signed with Dishnet, they were the underdog, the baby, and were the cheapest. Then they grew..grew large enough that they attempted to buyout their only competitor DirecTV (remember that?) but was blocked. So now it seems the tide has turned once again and DirecTV is starting to look like the one to watch (pun intended).

And as for the proposed rate increase: all I can say is I will be looking to go with the cheapest and best provider. Dish, hear what I'm saying here.

Oh, and SHAME ON YOU Dishnet for not having 522's available for tenured customers like me! SHAME SHAME SHAME!

Scott Greczkowski said:
And we are also coming to the time of the year where Charlie goes on TV and tells us we may be losing our favorite channel because programmers want more money and he dosent want to pay it. Of course he will say this with a straight face after just raising our rates almost 6%.

Scott, is this increase only on the base packages or will it affect HD and locals as well. It seems like every year the prices are increasing, and I do wonder if DTV will increase their rates. I know I will not switch E* this coming up year, but in 2006 if all is not well then I might have to make the move over to DTV enen though it is my opinion that their PQ stinks.

I've read just the base packages. HD pack and locals ala carte (5.99) will stay the same.

Sometimes you have to know when to fold your hand and go to another deck (directv). E* has lost its way, I wish it was different, but it's not. BAIL OUT NOW AND ABANDON ALL HOPE ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE (lol) aaargh!

Personally, I think that E* is really only suffering from the "Osborne" syndrome. I'm not talking about the reality TV series family and former prerformer, but the long defunct computer company.

Osborne produced really wonderful CP/M desktop computers. The Osborne 1, in it's heyday outsold other CP/M computers and had the market cornered. Osborne became a fast success, until that poor management decision day.

One day Osborne leaked out the information on the new Osborne 2, only it was 6 months or more from release. Sales of all existing Osborne 1 systems stopped as customers decided to wait for the newer computers. Osborne, not understanding the law of supply and demand, had still too many Osborne 1's waiting in warehouses for sales based on the older demand trends. Unable to remain solvent, they never released the Osborne 2 to the market and had tons of Osborne 1's collecting dust.

What's the "Osborne" lesson, "DON'T LET THE CAT OUT OF THE BAG UNTIL ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY"! Sheesh, I've seen this so often.

E* Charlie Chats have always had Charlie and crew speculating and mentioning possible cool things to customers. It's worked for them in the past and seemed to garner that, hey we are friends lets chat about what we are trying to do. Only now, speculations about HD possibilities and others are having customers getting very mad. None of us would have been upset, if they had simply said, here's the gear only a few weeks before offical release and only advertised what it's currently capable of doing. No speculations, no predictions that lead customers to incorrect or misleading conclusions to base a purchase on.

I think D* doesn't have these complaints, as serious decisions related to HD are not released until "necessary" or product is about to be introduced to market (I know there are a few exceptions, but that's what they are). I think that D* may be making decisions for HD that may have impact on previous equipment, but you won't know about the impact until just months or weeks prior. E* sometimes let's you know over a year in advance.

I guess my long winded point is, D* may mess with you in required equipment replacements for "new content", but you won't know until a lot closer to the required time.

the reason i went on a rant is because, deep down, i would like to stay with dish network. however, if i am going to have to invest in new equipment, i am not going to do it with dish. way to unreliable receivers.

i do believe the have better programming prices than direct, but paying a couple extra bucks a month for a piece of mind could be worth it.

I agree. What's a couple of bucks? A supersizing of 2 value meals? Big Deal. I wouldn't mind paying a little more for better service, reliable equipment, and more HD. As the saying goes..........You get what you pay for!

korsjs said:
the reason i went on a rant is because, deep down, i would like to stay with dish network. however, if i am going to have to invest in new equipment, i am not going to do it with dish. way to unreliable receivers.

i do believe the have better programming prices than direct, but paying a couple extra bucks a month for a piece of mind could be worth it.
I can rant with the best of them and have But you posting the directv page was way wrong :yes

DishSatUser said:
What's the "Osborne" lesson, "DON'T LET THE CAT OUT OF THE BAG UNTIL ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY"! Sheesh, I've seen this so often.

I just wanted to point out that Microsoft has successfully used this same principle for *YEARS* to kill their competition. Take Novell for instance...they had (and some could argue still have) a superior LAN networking solution to Microsoft's offering. But, MS marketed the h*** out of their next generation operating system (AKA Windows 2000), telling all the wonderful things it would do, and Novell got a double-whammy...First, Novell didn't make sales it should have because people believed MS, and felt it better to wait. Then, when a sale was made, it was for the MS product. This situation replayed itself time and again, and to my chagrin, people still haplessly believe MS Press Releases.

The issue is not when to release the lies, er... future product claims, it's how well do you lie, er... I mean sell the future truth. In the MS case, it's also clearly about simultaneously expanding into different markets, and market share in core growth areas.

As I'm not a marketing type, I can't say how this translates to E*, but I thought I should point out that when well played, advanced product announcements can be just as helpful as harmful. Clearly, E* does not understand the correlation between delivering promises and delivering the minimum product that the customer will accept as having met the promises.

-NICK

Has DirecTV added any new channels to the service lately? Multiplex movie channels? Not the last time I looked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)