EchoStar: No 'Backseat' to DIRECTV On HDTV

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
http://www.tvpredictions.com/echohd030107.htm

The satcaster's top executives comment on high-def in a conference call with Wall Street analysts.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (March 1, 2007) -- EchoStar today said its fourth quarter profit jumped 15 percent thanks largely to 350,000 new subscribers.

The company's Dish Network now has more national High-Definition channels than any other TV provider, but faces a serious challenge this year when DIRECTV is scheduled to expand its national HD lineup to 100 channels.

In a conference call today with Wall Street analysts, EchoStar CEO Charlie Ergen and company president Carl Vogel commented on DIRECTV HD and other issues related to Dish Network's High-Definition TV service.

Here are the highlights:

What Was HDTV's Impact on EchoStar's 4Q Growth?

Vogel: "We had the only HD DVR in the market, for example, for a good portion of 2006 and we have been able to move our (revenues) up...The fact that we have products that people like and use, the phenomenon in HD has been very helpful for us."

How Many HDTV Subs Does EchoStar Have?

Vogel: "We do not give out that number."

Will HDTV Continue to Grow, Benefiting EchoStar?

Ergen: "The unknown really is what is the adoption of HD going to be. It clearly was more in 2006 and gained a lot of momentum. It is certainly not at frothy levels yet to make hugely material impacts to anybody in the industry yet. It is still single digit, maybe slightly double-digit kind of product. But there will be a day when everybody buys -- there will be a day when any TV set sold will be an HD TV set. That may be 10 years from now but I think -- I think it is positive for the satellite industry, let’s put it that way."

DIRECTV Vows to Offer 100 National HD Channels This Year. Are You Worried?

Vogel: "We recognize that DIRECTV has an aggressive plan with respect to HD...We have done extremely well with HD. I still think our price points are going to remain much more attractive than DIRECTV, with or without discounts...We are pleased with where we stand with HD. We do not plan on backing away from HD. We think we have an advantage with our HD DVR product and we think we have an advantage with our HD pricing. In terms of additional content and additional markets, we can add to that as we move throughout ’07.

Charlie Ergen, Are You Worried?

Ergen: "I think we have always said strategically we are not going to take a backseat to anybody in HD.

Is HDTV Getting Too Costly?

Ergen: "I think the disadvantage for satellite guys has been -- the advantage we have always had as an industry is we can do national signals much, much more efficiently in the cable industry because we use the bandwidth once, not multiple times, so we clearly have an advantage there...When you talk about controlling costs, you have to realize how complex your system is. I think we are very well positioned in HD to have a cost advantage, a material cost advantage over cable companies, particularly because of our national presence, and perhaps DIRECTV because of the way they have architected their system in KA band."

Vogel: "We had the only HD DVR in the market, for example, for a good portion of 2006

Unless he means the only MPEG4 box that's full of BS.

CV:
In terms of additional content and additional markets, we can add to that as we move throughout ’07.

Sounds to me like any content added this year will be more of a reactionary move from changes made by D*, or other providers, rather than some preemptive strikes of their own....

Well right now Dish has the best HDDVR out there hands down.

Sounds to me like any content added this year will be more of a reactionary move from changes made by D*, or other providers, rather than some preemptive strikes of their own....

I agree. D* is announcing contracts with new HD channels left and right while E* has taken the wait and see approach. That's ok as long as they keep up with the competition when the channels actually launch. Right now there aren't that many more national HD channels to add (other than the, "very, very soon" RSN's of course.)

I've seen the Direct TV HD commercials several times and noticed they state, "HD CAPACITY" which is different than saying over a hundred HD CHANNELS. This would account for the fact that there aren't that many HD channels in existence yet...

Alot of jibberish to me or skirting the issue as usual by charlie.But let's hop that direct tv or cable add more hd channels and that will wake charlie up to not just sit back and wait see approach.Just add the hd channels like the rsn,sci-fi(if available) or even the chiller channel it's better than nothing.Add anything hd if available.

We can help Mr Ergen count the 622; making a poll; I'm confident if all our E* users will participate ( ~30,000 ) we will have good representative selection for deduct total number the HDDVRs by extrapolation to 16,000,000 accounts.

Add anything hd if available.
I see. I haven't counted the number of HD channels we get now, but I have noticed that back when Charlie said that VOOM had "no compelling content" he wasn't kidding. Once my 10 months of discounted HD is over with, I'm dumping the HD channels. There is nothing on them.

I've seen the Direct TV HD commercials several times and noticed they state, "HD CAPACITY" which is different than saying over a hundred HD CHANNELS. This would account for the fact that there aren't that many HD channels in existence yet...
Those of us who are dbs technically apt, know you are right. But think of how many regular schmucks are out there watching these commercials and are thinking..... Cool 100+ HD Channels. I mean lets face it. Who advertises capacity. Thats like saying "you could have" instead of "you will have" by buying from us.

Charlie Ergen, Are You Worried?

Ergen: "I think we have always said strategically we are not going to take a backseat to anybody in HD. Ergen then congratulated this Dish Network Commando squad on their successful sea-launch mission. Despite the denials, this is expected to have an impact on D*'s schedule. "Anybody" Ergen reiterated pointing with a cold stare to several in the crowd.
Hmmm... Tellling.....

Im kinda lost, when did dish have a sea launch? Besides e* 10 launch last year?

Jgags,

Dish has a contract with Sea Launch to launch in late 2007 to early 2008. According to Ergen he seems to think that this launch could be pushed back til Summer to early fall 2008. If that is the case it's even less likely DirecTV will get their Sea Launch launch in before the end of 2007.

DirecTV's Capacity for 100 HD channels NOPE NOT GOING TO HAPPEN THIS YEAR either DirecTV. That will make for 3 YEARS of failed promises in HD, and we thought the NBR delay (by Dish Network) for 501, 508, and 510 was ridiculous.

John

Atleast Dish is aware of the fact Directv is trying to make people think they are going to launch 100 hd channels by the end of the year, and are not going to sit on their butt and do nouthing when they roll these channels out.

I see. I haven't counted the number of HD channels we get now, but I have noticed that back when Charlie said that VOOM had "no compelling content" he wasn't kidding. Once my 10 months of discounted HD is over with, I'm dumping the HD channels. There is nothing on them.

The VOOm channels have always been lack-luster(even tried VOOm before they failed) HBO and Showtime are bad enough but VOOm takes the fart

I strongly believe that everything that Dish is saying is completely true.

There is no way they're going to stand back and be left behind in the HD channel accumulation war. They will offer at least as many HD channels as DirecTV does, if not more.

Even if it means dropping the resolution to 480x720 to free up the necessary bandwidth.

Scott

Local HD Availability

Unfair Dish'n it Up for Puerto Rico's customers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)