Echostar patents putting a weather station on subscriber roofs

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
http://www.fiercecable.com/story/ec...-stations-satellite-tv-subscribers/2012-08-27

EchoStar (Nasdaq: SATS) has filed a patent application for weather stations that could be installed on roofs of satellite TV subscribers to monitor how storms such as Tropical Storm Isaac are impacting satellite TV reception, and also to deliver hyperlocal weather reports to subscribers.

If EchoStar succeeds in developing the technology, Dish Network (Nasdaq: DISH) and other satellite TV providers could use the weather stations to compete with the local weather programming supplied by cable operators.

So now your TV could tell you what it is like outside your house. It seems of limited use aside from perhaps finding out how much rain actually hit your yard.

Can get a decent weather station for about $40.:D So I would guess it would add $75 to $100 to a dish.:eek:

I would be willing to have that installed, neat idea.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

Having a DVR keeping track of your local weather could be handy. Especially in areas like mine with water rationing, it will help cut back on watering if enough rain hits.

This is Charlie we are talking about. There is nothing for FREE at DISH home of the most fees out there.;)

It puts money in his pocket. He NEEDS many of us to do this. Maybe not only free, but some incentive. Gee- a PPV certificate? ;)

Ah, this post number ends in 666. Hmmm.

Just saw a crawl across the bottom of my screen stating that Dish is in a dispute with the Fahrenheit family over temperature transmission....

Just saw a crawl across the bottom of my screen stating that Dish is in a dispute with the Fahrenheit family over temperature transmission....

Almost got choked on a strawberry shortbread cookie when I read that!:D:haha

Geeze...seems like nearly every post the last day or two has turned into kicking the Charlie can.

Wouldn't you think it would be provided free since they'll use the data?

charlie runs a for-profit company, not a charity. ;)

I suppose they could use the DVR stats to tell about rainfall (I get high error rates or "loss of signal" mesages whenever it rains hard enough).

save the fees, install a cheap tipping bucket consumer rain guage on the roof and when the rainfall rate hits 2 inches/hour, your DISH service will go out. Works like clockwork here for heavy rainfall that 2 in/hour on my rainguage display means DISH is out.

skysurfer said:
charlie runs a for-profit company, not a charity. ;)

I suppose they could use the DVR stats to tell about rainfall (I get high error rates or "loss of signal" mesages whenever it rains hard enough).

save the fees, install a cheap tipping bucket consumer rain guage on the roof and when the rainfall rate hits 2 inches/hour, your DISH service will go out. Works like clockwork here for heavy rainfall that 2 in/hour on my rainguage display means DISH is out.

True, he does run it for profit. He could sell the data collected to weather services and local broadcasters. The weatherman could come on and say its raining hard there in BFE, AR right now. Plus it could be used for wind speeds, humidity, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys