EchoStar president Mark Jackson leaving company, to be succeeded by Dish CTO Vivek Khemka

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

osu1991

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
http://www.multichannel.com/news/di...e-home-securityautomation-product-line/406973

There are big changes afoot at EchoStar, Dish Network’s technology and set-top spin-off, as the company has decided to exit the retail home security/automation market while also announcing that long-time president Mark Jackson is leaving the company to pursue other opportunities.

“The entire EchoStar management team wishes Mark the best and we’ll miss his friendship and contribution,” Mike Dugan, EchoStar’s CEO, said Tuesday on the company’s Q2 earnings call.

Dugan said he has Vivek Khemka, recently promoted to CTO at Dish Network (from SVP of product management), to succeed Jackson, and will be transitioning between roles “over the next few months.” Dish has been asked if it has yet named a successor CTO.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hate to see Vivek leave the Dish side, but good luck to him. I'm sure he will make a great addition to the Echostar side of the Dish "family."

Marks been there a long long time. he introduced me to Mutton Riding. :D Going to miss seeing him in his cargo pants. :D

Now Vivek is an interesting choice and hopefully under his leadership he can bridge the relationship between Echostar and DISH better, as I see that being the biggest problem with Echostar and DISH.

WOW, Vivek was a good source for SatGuys on any future info on the new DPH42 switch. Scott, do you think he will still be involved with the new switch?

Reactions: bluegras
WOW, Vivek was a good source for SatGuys on any future info on the new DPH42 switch. Scott, do you think he will still be involved with the new switch?

Yup I do, and I expect him to still be an active part of SatelliteGuys as he has always been. :)

Over the years I don't think I have been as comfortable working with anyone from DISH as I have working with Vivek.

vivek is always a nice person to talk to when you are having a problem with your hopper 3 and he helps you to a t to get your problem fixed.

Vivek is a super guy. I have never encountered an executive that is so proactive about keeping customers happy. When the Hopper 3 first came out, I made a post about how they refused to activate a leased Joey (come to find out it WAS a Joey 2) because their system showed it wasn't a Joey 2, and they were going to make me pay to replace it and be under a new commitment if I got it from them.
To make a long story short, Vivek sent me a private message asking for my information and told me that someone from a special department (I forget the name) would call me about getting me a Joey 2 replacement, they indeed called, replaced it for free, and sent it in record time.
Vivek sent me a couple of more messages to follow up and encouraged me to contact him if I had any other problems.
The CTO of a large corporation doesn't HAVE to do that for a customer, but he did. Too bad there are not many more like him any more.

Congrats to khemka on the promotion, and we know he will make echostar even better. I agree with Scott, and that was always a concern of mine. The two companies should work more fluently than they currently do, and Vivek is definitely someone who can bridge that gap. Vivek, any chance killing the HughesNet name, and transitioning it completely to DishNet, including moving all the accounts to be serviced by Dish? I know I haven't been there for awhile, but last I heard it was still operating separately.

Interesting remarks. Not that Mark is a bad guy (I've never met the fellow), but his occasional--well, let's say, kanipshin/conniption-like--facial expressions when Dave Kummer would say something that Mark clearly would have preferred Dave did not are legendary in my memory of the Tech Forums :). It would make me laugh, and, boy, you could sure see on Mark's face that he did not apporove :). I think Mark also got visably irritated a few times by the software guy whose name escapes me who took Dave Kummer's place on the later Tech Forums. I wish well for Mark; he was at Echostar/Dish for all the great innovations over the years.

From the videos and his presence on this forum, Vivek has come across as someone with charm and genuine interest with the customer experience, and a just a seemingly nice guy. A totally different personality from most executives at that level. Best of luck to Vivek.