Echostar Satellite Status Update

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
The 3rd quarter Dish and EchoStar 10K's have updated changes in satellite fleet status.

EchoStar has informed Dish that EchoStar 12 (in spare status) will reach end of commercial life around the end of year 2014.

Dish has signed a contract with Ariane (European Launch site in South America) for the launch of EchoStar 18 in 2015.
EchoStar 18 is a DBS spot beam satellite and has previously been reported as planned for the 110W slot.

EchoStar 19, a KA broadband (internet) satellite is scheduled for launch in 2016.

"Dish has signed a contract with Ariane (European Launch site in South America) for the launch of EchoStar 18 in 2015.
EchoStar 18 is a DBS spot beam satellite and has previously been reported as planned for the 110W slot."

What does this mean for the current satellite at 110? Would there be 2 satellites there - the current one, then another one that is all spotbeams? Or would this replace the current satellite? And if it does replace it, what does that mean to all the CONUS transponders?

"Dish has signed a contract with Ariane (European Launch site in South America) for the launch of EchoStar 18 in 2015.
EchoStar 18 is a DBS spot beam satellite and has previously been reported as planned for the 110W slot."

What does this mean for the current satellite at 110? Would there be 2 satellites there - the current one, then another one that is all spotbeams? Or would this replace the current satellite? And if it does replace it, what does that mean to all the CONUS transponders?

If it ends up there, they will have equal or more options as compared to today. The new spot beam sats have both conus there would either stay as spares or become available for other use.

We can expect to see the fcc application sometime next year with details.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SatelliteGuys

They need to move some Local HD's from 129 to 110 cause the low orbit on east coast is just horrible to hit, certainly in mountain area's.

I agree with that except that they should move it off 129 and onto 61.5! Much higher elevation angle out here.

I think a spot beam satellite is only good for the slot it was designed for.

They are designed for multiple slots. This is why a bunch of spot beams are not in use. When they shift, a different suite of beams cover the markets, shutting some down and activating others for the new market pattern. It was less efficient with the old ones but even old E12 was designed for two slots.

I think a spot beam satellite is only good for the slot it was designed for.

Depends. If you spend the extra bucks you ca get form able spot beams with a wide array of options.

Cheapest is fixed for one location. Next cheapest is with some "compromise" in the spot beam footprints to allow relocation to some extent. Biggest cost there may be the loss of utility of some spots.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I agree with that except that they should move it off 129 and onto 61.5! Much higher elevation angle out here.

Well I guess I should rephrase it some saying that all 129 channels should get pushed to 110 mainly so you could just ignore 129 and 110 being already aimed it would be just a matter of a new program guide download - no techs needed to repoint anything. Keep in mind that for years there was a repoint push for 61.5 off to 129. Since 110 is the highest on WA and many many people already have at least a dish 500 it would be a no brainer unless they wish to ALSO put HD locals in many areas on 129 on 61.5 or 72 as well so you can at least have the option.

So last time I checked, Echostar 11 is currently at 110 with Echostar 10 there as well as a spare in case something happens. So once Echostar 18 is launched, I would assume Echo 11 would become a spare and Echo 10 may be close to reaching the end of its life?

They are designed for multiple slots. This is why a bunch of spot beams are not in use. When they shift, a different suite of beams cover the markets, shutting some down and activating others for the new market pattern. It was less efficient with the old ones but even old E12 was designed for two slots.

Also, I believe the most recent built (not sure if any in orbit for use by a DBS service, yet,) may have STEERABLE spot beams. Steerable spots have been technologically possible for some years, and I thought both Dish and DirecTV were going to order sats with steerable spots.

Last edited:
So last time I checked, Echostar 11 is currently at 110 with Echostar 10 there as well as a spare in case something happens. So once Echostar 18 is launched, I would assume Echo 11 would become a spare and Echo 10 may be close to reaching the end of its life?

I think Echo 11 is ALL spotbeam and MUST be and is co-lpcated with a CONUS sat transmission of CONUS channels. The question is this: is E18 another ALL spot that will need a CONUS capable sat co-located for CONUS channels, or is E18 designed to handle the current load all by it self with both spots and conus?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)