EchoStar Seeks FCC Nod For New Satellite

S

SatelliteGuys Reporter

Original poster
According to paperwork submitted to the Federal Communications Commission FCC EchoStar Satellite LLC a subsidiary of EchoStar Communications Corp. DISH wants to construct launch and operate a geostationary satellite at 113 degrees West longitude. The application filed Aug. 3 but announced publicly yesterday has EchoStar proposing direct-to-home services two-way broadband services interactive services and high-definition content on a non-common-carrier basis.

http://www.telecomweb.com/FREEVIP/cgi/searchauth.cgi?/search.pbimedia.com/search97cgi/s97_cgi?action=View&VdkVgwKey=../documents/archive/st/st09080401.html&DocOffset=1&Collection=archive&&ViewTemplate=new_tweb_view_satn.hts

Time for the Super-Duper Dish?

So if they put this thing at 113 are they going to have to come out with the Super-Duper Dish?

--Matt

They will have two versions of the Super Duper Picker Upper Dish like they do the SuperDISH. :)

I might be completely ignorant here, but....

Besides having to possibly change LNB's a bit, couldn't the current Dish500 handle a 113 satellite since it does 110 and 119 right now?

SatinKzo said:
I might be completely ignorant here, but....

Besides having to possibly change LNB's a bit, couldn't the current Dish500 handle a 113 satellite since it does 110 and 119 right now?

It really depends on where at 113 but from waht I understand it would be possible with a new and interesting tripple LNB with DP34 built into it.

ShadowEKU said:
It really depends on where at 113 but from waht I understand it would be possible with a new and interesting tripple LNB with DP34 built into it.

What do you mean by "depends on where at 113..."

Doesn't 113 mean 113? Doesn't that define it's location?

113 Just tells you where in the East/West direction it's located, it doesn't tell you how high or low in the sky it is.

--Matt

Actually, it does. The bird will sit at a specific location 22,300 miles above the equator at 113W longitude. The 22,300 and equator are fixed values. ;)

Given that, the azimuth and elevation to use for a customer site is easy to figure - in this case, the values for a Dish 500 would be just about perfect - because a 500 is aimed at 114.5

what will matter is if the satellite will be a dbs one or fss, if it's the latter then I think we'll need bigger dishes

That would explain it. Do you know more about Ka?

Dish size needed? As in, what power levels does it have compared to Ku?

Number of transponders? Effective bandwidth per transponder?

How about the type of LNBF required? Similar to DBS?

TIA. :)