Echostar Signs Agreement To Distribute Wildblue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Yeah I'm expecting the lag, basically in a year I have a shot of being the network admin here, if something breaks and I'm at home I need to be able to remote in and fix it. I can't do that on the currect dialup over copper now.

I beleive WB has different birds and they have spotbeams on them. Once the spotbeam fills up you have to wait until more room opens up in your area.

Slowdown makes sense if you are in the business of selling or owning it. There is only a certain amount of bandwith available to any ISP, and that bandwith is available for all. Sure, the argument can be "get more bandwidth", but there is a physical limit. If a few take it all, others have none. By limiting bandwith (speed) if too much is used, they are able to let someone else use some. In most cases, one will never see this slowdown, but may see their own computer slowing down because of memory leaks or background jobs that will be blamed on the provider.

Many will not believe this, however.

chadzx11 said:
All I can say is: there goes the neighborhood. Dish will drive down pay rates. At least I plan to attend college full time this fall, and only install on the weekends. I am one of 4 WB certified techs in our shop, I passed the test on the first time, and I had to help the lead tech pass his. They (WB) are nitpicky on qc's, they only want "wildblue" approved cable used, but have never provided us with a make and model, only specs. The only connector on their 'approved' list is the gilbert that I am not particularly fond of. No way I am installing for someone uber picky if they aren't gonna provide specifics. Also, they renegged on giving us the APAs we were promised, so I can't do anything yet.

Check with your distributor. Our distributor gave us a cd at the training last fall, that had some of the job aids, as well as a list of approved cables. It was really detailed, included brand, model number, and color.

Yeah really all this will do is help folks that live out in the sticks get better connection than dial up. For those who live in town DSL or Cable is the way to go but this is better than nothing for those who live out in the county..

I got Dish and Starband at the same time several years ago. Yeah, the initial cost was a little steep, but after that, it is cheaper and faster than the dial-up (less than 4kbs download on a 56kbs modem) that is available to me out in the boomies of West Virginia. I'll stick with Starband unless something cheaper and quicker comes along.

Wi-Fi even in WV is becoming more available lately and you can also get cheap phone service ($20-30 unlimited with most calling features) if you get the wi-fi.

I can't even get good cell service at my house! The most I see is 2 bars, most of the time it's 1 or none! I'm between cell towers (5 miles distance each way) and I still get lousy reception (Sprint). If I wouldn't have moved a few years ago, they placed a cell tower about 1,000 feet from my old house. :( Service there is great (5 bars as measured as I drive by) Eventually I think there will be another tower built closer to my house. In fact, if it wouldn't violate the HOA rules, I'd let them build it on my back lot! :p

If you are going from dialup to WB, then sure you will be satisfied with it, especially if it is your only option. If you have ever had any type of broadband service at any speed levels, you will be disappointed with satellite. I was not able to get broadband at my rural home until recently and was used to 384/768k DSL at work. When I finally got my 512k/8000k cable connection at home, I am like a kid in a candy store. I hardly even watch my HD TV anymore because the internet is so enjoyable. Funny thing about internet connection speed, you always want more.

I know what you mean, we have a 20 MB pipe here at work and I'm constantly thinking "God why don't these people get off the internet and get back to work so I don't have too!!" :D

Sounds like my house, have to stand in the perfect spot outside to get the 2-3 bars that is needed for service and I live around 5-7 miles in between two towers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts