EchoStar Unveils ViP-TV

Can they turn around and double this as an MPEG4 service for DISH customers?

Certainly would expect this is the beginning of the all MPEG4 service they previously mentioned. Would seem silly to use still another set of satellites for that service.

Yeah I think this is something separate of the MPEG4 service talk about earlier in the year. Right now it sounds like this is just something Dish is doing to help out AT&T as a Telco to offer TV Service is all. This could be why we have not seen much activity lately due to this but now that this is out lets hope Dish will get back in the HD Race. So I think this could be just another joint effort on Dish part to help AT&T to provide more TV Service to customers and help them get folks to switch to them over cable.

But you never know they could be calling this their new ""MPEG4 Service"" talked about in this year Summit Show. But looking back and my notes this new ""MPEG4 Service"" would not be up and running until they got their two new Sats up and running. But overall after reading on this new site it seems this is something more to wards like a Telco package plan thing or something. "850 longitude to Telco, private and rural cable operators, municipalities and master planned communities that have obtained rights for distribution over their wire-line networks."" Doing things in IP would make sense for IPTV basically cable companies and Telco's could pipe in this main feed from Dish the broadcast it out on their WAN's they have set up in those cities across fiber or cable for those companies to use. It's kind of like Dish is offering a IPTV Service to Cable and Telco Companies.

EchoStar ViP-TV™
Network Operators Win With ViP-TV:

ViP-TV creates a success path for a wide range of customers with varying network topologies and requirements. Each type of service provider will benefit from the ViP-TV capabilities provided by EchoStar’s team of engineering and support professionals.

Telcos
Private cable operators (PCOs)
Master-planned-communities (MPCs)
Multiple dwelling units (MDUs)
Multiple tenant units(MTUs) enterprise systems
Public utility districts (PUDs)
Metro-Open-access Networks (MONS)
Municipal utility districts (MUDs)
Rural cable systems

So my guess is that they will use some Sats to push this new IPTV Service for cable and Telco companies. Thats my 2 cents could be wrong.

A few things come to mind

A few things come to mind:

1. Since it can be marketed to master planned communities, or multiple dwelling (Condo’s?). This could provide competition to local cable companies that want to provide underground connections to these planned communities.

2. Local Telco can effectively compete with cable companies.

3. Small cable companies can provide more content with less investment.

Not to mention that this provides a more attractive purchase by AT&T to convince its stock holders.

Last edited:
VIP-TV appears to be the first IPTV service using Ku band. But there are already two competitors on the Cband side, SES-Americom's IP Prime and Intelsat IPTV.

I think Echostar's has the potential to be the first of those 3 IPTV services to be made available to consumers directly at some point.

BTW, ViP-TV is not active in its supposed new home satellite yet, but there are a couple signals on Ku-band at other slots so the press release seems to be a ways ahead of actual availability to small headends, etc.

I think Echostar's has the potential to be the first of those 3 IPTV services to be made available to consumers directly at some point.

BTW, ViP-TV is not active in its supposed new home satellite yet, but there are a couple signals on Ku-band at other slots so the press release seems to be a ways ahead of actual availability to small headends, etc.

NPS is trying to set up an IPTV service for Cband dish owners. I think they have done some testing with Intelsat and they are now looking for a manufacturer to see how much to would cost to build a receiver.

NPS is trying to set up an IPTV service for Cband dish owners.

I know, and you have all the idiots holding their breath turning blue waiting for this supposed NPS IPTV thing to happen. If they think 4DTV programming is expensive now, wait until NPS if they ever get IPTV deployed (since NPS will have to rent their own transponder(s) to retransmit the programming like they do for 4DTV services currently, sell their own receiver to a small remaining group of c-band owners who get pay programming from c-band, field tons of customer service calls from people who find IPTV too complicated or hard to receive properly, and then have to recoup programming contract costs among said small group of c-band owners).

Much better off if NPS could contract with Echostar to handle admin stuff (uplink/access) and customers could get ViP-TV directly with a 3' fixed dish.

When ESPN left c-band, I went with DISH since it's the cheapest way to keep my ESPN (DIRECTV wanted about $15-20 more per month for their minimum package with ESPN). I kept my big c-band dishes for stuff you can't watch on DISH or DIRECTV and for sports feeds for channels outside of my AT100 package.

Intelsat killed IPTV project

The Intelsat board of directors told their boys to kill the IPTV service back in May of 2007 -- frightened by IP-PRIME. The Web site's just really slow with edits.

Some went off to merge Auroras with Broadstream -- calling it "Avail Media"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts