EchoStar XXIV/JUPITER 3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I am on Jupiter 2/GEN 5, much better than ones in the past!
They are supposed to have Fiber here with Gigabit speeds over the next 18 months- 2Years.
If not I suppose I will be trying out J3 in 4 years.

I am on Jupiter 2/GEN 5, much better than ones in the past!
They are supposed to have Fiber here with Gigabit speeds over the next 18 months- 2Years.
If not I suppose I will be trying out J3 in 4 years.

I have DSL to use most of the time.

Have HughesNet Gen 5 for a backup, and to use when I am streaming something on the DSL, since it is just 3.5 down

I have been very impressed with the speeds on Gen5, usually get about 40-45 down.

The electric coop is supposed to be expanding fiber all over the county within the next 2-3 years. If and when they do that, we'll be able to get 1Gbps down and up.

Hope they make it.

I have DSL to use most of the time.

Have HughesNet Gen 5 for a backup, and to use when I am streaming something on the DSL, since it is just 3.5 down

I have been very impressed with the speeds on Gen5, usually get about 40-45 down.

The electric coop is supposed to be expanding fiber all over the county within the next 2-3 years. If and when they do that, we'll be able to get 1Gbps down and up.

Hope they make it.
Yep, same here with the electric coop. They may even be working together. I am not to far from you. I am in NC, but the far west tip. I can be in either TN or GA in just about 30 minutes.

Yep, same here with the electric coop. They may even be working together. I am not to far from you. I am in NC, but the far west tip. I can be in either TN or GA in just about 30 minutes.
The co-op here is Tombigbee Electric Cooperative, they are working with an outfit out of Huntsville, FiberRise, your co-op may be working with them too.

Apparently from what I read at their website, they specialize in construction of the fiber infastructre in rural and remote areas.

Tombigbee is calling this "freedomFIBER" and it will supposedly cover all of Marion and Lamar counties in Alabama, and a couple of towns in Fayette and Winston.

They are starting with the two largest 'cities' in my county (Marion), Hamilton (the county seat) and Winfield, the next largest 'city' these are big time, 6,800 and 4,500 population :)

Those of us that are 'rural' dwellers have to wait a few more years.

What is your electric co-op called?

Do you have monthly usage limits ? I've seen packages and at least publicly available, they top out at 50gb/month. That couldn't work in our home....
Yes, and this applies to all satellite internet services.
It is a real pain, but it is what we have. You just have to do things differently when you don't have unlimited data.
We are use to it and know how to manage accordingly. Where I see the biggest issue are where people that move here from the city and get it and go through their allowance in a couple of days.
I installed it for years and I would tell people several times before I even started the install. You are aware of the limits right....I mean you are REALLY aware of the limits.
Sometimes this would cause me too lose an install. However, the CSR's would not point this out. They would get mad when I would say could not do install, because after informing the customer of the limits they changed their mind.

Out in a rural area like this though, you only have that option for HS internet. A lot of the times in a few days later, I would get a work order for the same address again. I would call and they would say, okay we know it is going to be WAY less than what we are used to but we MUST have Internet. They would just have to stop steaming so much.

Note: We do have WISP's here but most places are not LOS to the towers. I get full cell phone service here also, but their data limit is worse than satellite.

Yes, and this applies to all satellite internet services.
It is a real pain, but it is what we have.
Oh yeah, I know they all have usage limits. Was just curious if you had a non-public plan that allowed more data (for more $$ of course). Our old neighbor moved out to a more rural area and satellite internet is their only option and he was not looking forward to that aspect of things.

...people that move here from the city and get it and go through their allowance in a couple of days.
I see questions all the time in one of our little town's Facebook groups - people move from another area or move from "in town" to out in the country more and ask about internet options. So many people don't grasp that just because they have cable internet or DSL "in town", that it's everywhere. I point out that satellite is likely their only option or possibly through their wireless provider but literally no one has "unlimited" anymore with those.

Like you mention, many will go through their allowance in days. That would be us for sure ! Last time someone asked, I checked our usage. Our billing cycle had just reset in the past 3-4 days and we were already at 58gb ! We've been running 600-700gb/month lately.

I have HughesNet Gen 4 as a backup to my 120 Mb cable from Charter with a dual WAN router configured for failover. During prime time, I can't get much more then a couple of Mbps out of HughesNet on the 10 x 1 plan with 10 GB of anytime data and 50 GB in the middle of the night. I hardly ever use my HughesNet connection, and when I do it's so slow, it would be a challenge to use all 60 GB. My employer pays for most of my HughesNet bill, as they do for a portion of my Spectrum Internet, so I don't care so much. Just as long as if my cable where to go out, it would be actually usable in some fashion.

While I live in a rural area, cable is available. The beam I am on covers many smaller rural communities in Southwestern NY where it is not. And also three decent sized Indian Reservations, that have no cable at all, no DSL, and there are no cell towers on Indian land. So it's probably an overcrowded beam. Since it's not my primary source of internet, it's not a priority for me to upgrade to Gen 5. I have a week off in the Fall, I might have the installer come one then and upgrade me. Wish I could save the extra $5 on the modem rental by having wifi disabled. I have no plans to use use their crappy modem/router for wifi when I have my own $300 WAP highly customized for my own needs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)