Editing/Deleting satellites?

mr3p

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 1, 2010
West
After a couple of firmware updates I decided I should clean up the default sat list out of my LOS including. As I haven't done this for a while, I had thought it had worked with MAZedit but that doesn't seem to now be working. Deleteing all channels from the AZBox menu seems to work easy and I can restore my edited channel list from MAZedit. Could someone tell me the easiest way to delete/edit the satellite list?

for whatever reason MAZedit is now working fine to restore my saved satellite list.

crazy. im using 5006 and maz seems to corrupt my channel list if i edit any satellite info. i think they changed something in the dvbs.dat structure recently. its good it works for you anyways.

crackt out,.

I think you're correct that something has changed. it would be nice if there was an option in the AZbox data reset section to delete all satellites simillar to deleting all channels.

i think it was around 4890 that maz quit working properly. if you were using older firmware you could select the satellite tab on the channel list pane and delete them there. there is a red x on the lower right side. i think shift clicking will highlight more than one satellite at a time. although uploading your channel list back to post 4890 firmware will corrupt the satlist and you wont have accomplished much. im sure there will be an update to maz soon enuff.

crackt out,.

I tried to delete all the east latitude sats with the remote control but they keep coming back. And it looks like something happened to my channel list again - possibly corrupted (again).

I tried to delete all the east latitude sats with the remote control but they keep coming back. And it looks like something happened to my channel list again - possibly corrupted (again).

if you copy your dvbs.dat file to DISK1/backup/ (i think) it will default to it when you corrupt you sat list.

crackt out,.

if you copy your dvbs.dat file to DISK1/backup/ (i think) it will default to it when you corrupt you sat list.

crackt out,.

You can do that if you make that backup directory R/W temporarily, however I think it's a risky thing to do. Reason is, that if your Azbox keeps jumping back to the backup, then the odds are good that the sat/channel/transponder data in those 3 .dat files is corrupted, and if you replace the default DVBS.dat file with a now corrupted file, it could mean that the box couldn't recover from errors. I think replacing that backup file might be safe if you're pretty sure that you have files that aren't corrupted, however I think that it's safer, and not much more trouble, to just make routine copies of the 3 .dat files, perhaps once a week, then when the Azbox decides things are corrupted, and reverts to the default backup, you can just replace all three files with the good working files you had from a week ago, and not loose too much, and that process can be done in about 1 minute via FTP.

Anyway, if you have uncorrupted files, the Azbox will generally be pretty stable, and you won't observe problems like described above, and won't need to do the replacing of the DVBS.dat file, and if your files are corrupted and you need to replace that default file, then it isn't safe to replace it, because the file you'd be replacing it with is probably corrupted. So just save a backup. It's easy and safer.

is there any way to edit the default dvbs.dat file so that if something corrupts I dont' end up with all the euro/asia sats?

is there any way to edit the default dvbs.dat file so that if something corrupts I dont' end up with all the euro/asia sats?
? This was discussed in the message just above your message?
Re editing the default, you are editing the dynamic version of it when you delete or add sats on the Azbox. Then you CAN put that edited version into the DISK1 backup directory to replace the default version, and someone here posted a step by step procedure for doing it, since it involves making the mount that the backup directory is on R/W instead of read only. But as I said above, I don't really recommend doing this unless you are absolutely sure that you don't have corrupted files. Ie you don't want to make a corrupted file your default. It's MUCH safer to just make a copy of your edited version, and whenever all the extra sats pop back in, just FTP your own backup back in there. Takes less than a minute.
On my Azbox, my original backup file is about 161,000 bytes, but my edited version is about 63,000. I actually keep a backup version of my 63,000B file there on the Azbox, so if the main version gets replaced, I just delete the replacement and rename the spare I have there.

yah b.j. i made damn sure my dvbs.dat file was healthy before it went in to the DISK1/backup. i used a hex editor to customise it and after a few more tweaks in the az i sent it to the backup folder. now if my azbox gets stupid and defaults it defaults to the proper sat list and settings. another reboot and it usually fixes and wackt channels as well.

like you say though its not for the new user. you can make your box very hard to deal with if you corrupt the backup.

crackt out,.

I'm back to being unable to restore my sat list with MAZedit which leads me to believe my files are corrupted. does reflashing the firmware restore the default files or is something more needed.

I'm back to being unable to restore my sat list with MAZedit which leads me to believe my files are corrupted. does reflashing the firmware restore the default files or is something more needed.
Personally, I don't trust MAZ. Seems like 90% of the people who are reporting problems with the Azbox are people who are using either MAZ or AzboxEdit to edit sat/transponder/channel data.
But to your question, I think reflashing would probably replace the DVBS.dat file, but I don't think it will alter the other .dat files. If you think things are corrupted, you probably should do one of those format the application area steps in addition to re-flashing. I would then try to build your basic sat list manually, by deleting unnecessary sats and adding sats you need. Scan in a few transponder on each sat, then SAVE that data so you have something known good to go back to. Then, if MAZ or some other process like the HTTP channels scrambles your data, you can recover quicker.

do not use maz with firmware since 4890. it WILL corrupt your satlist. you can use the ftp portion of maz to transfer files only. there is extra info in the dvbs.dat file that maz or azboxedit cannot process.

if your sat list is corrupt then you can either restore an earlier backup or delete all channels and start over.

crackt out,.

Personally, I don't trust MAZ. Seems like 90% of the people who are reporting problems with the Azbox are people who are using either MAZ or AzboxEdit to edit sat/transponder/channel data.
But to your question, I think reflashing would probably replace the DVBS.dat file, but I don't think it will alter the other .dat files. If you think things are corrupted, you probably should do one of those format the application area steps in addition to re-flashing. I would then try to build your basic sat list manually, by deleting unnecessary sats and adding sats you need. Scan in a few transponder on each sat, then SAVE that data so you have something known good to go back to. Then, if MAZ or some other process like the HTTP channels scrambles your data, you can recover quicker.

You may be correct that MAZedit is the issue. I just reflashed to 4991 and was able to restore my satellite list with MAZedit. I'm reflashing back to 5020 and will re-attempt to restore my satellite list. If it doesn't work, I'm inclined to thing that there is a MAZedit issue with newer firmware.

While not scientific, there appears to be an issue with MAZedit 3.0 and 5220.

Going back to 4991 firmware I can edit/delete the sat lists, whereas with 5200 I can't remove satetllites from the list. I did not try ver 5006 but in the comments there its says "updated sat network infos" so perhaps an issue was introduced. For now I'm staying with 4991 which allows me to use MAZedit.

? This was discussed in the message just above your message?
Re editing the default, you are editing the dynamic version of it when you delete or add sats on the Azbox. Then you CAN put that edited version into the DISK1 backup directory to replace the default version, and someone here posted a step by step procedure for doing it, since it involves making the mount that the backup directory is on R/W instead of read only. But as I said above, I don't really recommend doing this unless you are absolutely sure that you don't have corrupted files. Ie you don't want to make a corrupted file your default. It's MUCH safer to just make a copy of your edited version, and whenever all the extra sats pop back in, just FTP your own backup back in there. Takes less than a minute.
On my Azbox, my original backup file is about 161,000 bytes, but my edited version is about 63,000. I actually keep a backup version of my 63,000B file there on the Azbox, so if the main version gets replaced, I just delete the replacement and rename the spare I have there.

Backing up to your hard drive doesn't always help. Either the channel list I backed up was corrupt or there's something strange going on with the firmware. I just had to do a factory reset and had to rescan all the sats again (and I'm not finished yet). It's not a stable box for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)