Editing/Deleting satellites?

I'm back to being unable to restore my sat list with MAZedit which leads me to believe my files are corrupted. does reflashing the firmware restore the default files or is something more needed.

Sometimes I can restore with Mazedit and sometimes I can't. Very irritating.

Anyway, a factory reset will restore everything to default without changing the firmware.

do not use maz with firmware since 4890. it WILL corrupt your satlist. you can use the ftp portion of maz to transfer files only. there is extra info in the dvbs.dat file that maz or azboxedit cannot process.

if your sat list is corrupt then you can either restore an earlier backup or delete all channels and start over.

crackt out,.

I guess I'll go back to the old fashioned way of backing up the sat lists by using ssh or ftp. I did notice earlier that trying to restore via ftp results in an error. For some reason, you need to rename the existing satlist file before you can restore.

the issue is with the constantly changing dvbs.dat format. the azbox coders keep changing the file structure and it breaks maz. you cannot use the channel list portion of maz to send the file back to the azbox, you must use an ftp client to transfer the files. ive started decoding the dvbs.dat file structure and have been able to do some editing with hex tools on a bit by bit basis. it appears the last firmware that works with maz is 4991 although i think i found it was one release before that in my testing( could have been another issue as there are a few). either way, im willing to make a north american sat list for anyone who needs it if we can decide on a naming convention and included sats. or you could wait until morser updates maz once again to accomadate the newer dvbs.dat file.

crackt out,.

the issue is with the constantly changing dvbs.dat format. the azbox coders keep changing the file structure and it breaks maz. you cannot use the channel list portion of maz to send the file back to the azbox, you must use an ftp client to transfer the files. ive started decoding the dvbs.dat file structure and have been able to do some editing with hex tools on a bit by bit basis. it appears the last firmware that works with maz is 4991 although i think i found it was one release before that in my testing( could have been another issue as there are a few). either way, im willing to make a north american sat list for anyone who needs it if we can decide on a naming convention and included sats. or you could wait until morser updates maz once again to accomadate the newer dvbs.dat file.

crackt out,.

Wish I had time to create something similar to MazEdit or AzboxEdit. I know C/C++ but programming is too time intensive for me. Too bad Windows based software source code is rarely released for others to modify.

to create an effective backup you need to save the following 3 files....

DVBS.dat
antenna_list.dat
all_channel.dat

same goes for effectively backing up your satlist and scans. the same 3 files need to be restored.

crackt out,.

dvbs.dat contains sat info. the other files contain other information such as channel info. to do a total backup / restore you need to involve all 3 files. if you say wanted to add a satellite you could just edit dvbs.dat with a hex editor and the other two files wouldnt change.

crackt out,.

crackt out,.

I guess I won't be updating the firmware unless I want to start all over again I'm assuming that the channel list would be OK but I'd have to go through a satellite deletion/rework if I changed the firmware?

AZBox Editor

I have been trying to edit my channel list and every one
has been talking about a ".dat" file. Every time I save /backup my channel
list it saves as "channel.bak" so how do I get the editors,(any of them)
to recognize this file type or change the file type to one that is recognized.
AZBox Premium + Fike ver. 5020
Thanx

I have been trying to edit my channel list and every one
has been talking about a ".dat" file. Every time I save /backup my channel
list it saves as "channel.bak" so how do I get the editors,(any of them)
to recognize this file type or change the file type to one that is recognized.
AZBox Premium + Fike ver. 5020
Thanx

They are talking about a little different things than a simple channel save. You can save that with a USB stick. If you want to edit your channels, you can just do it with the remote. In fact, the way the editors have been working, I just quit using them and going the remote route.

if you create a known good dvbs.dat file you can place it in disk2_backup. the process has been posted. this way when you corrupt your satlist it defaults to your own list and not the euro list. it will also survive formatting the app area.

crackt out,.

You can do that if you make that backup directory R/W temporarily, however I think it's a risky thing to do. Reason is, that if your Azbox keeps jumping back to the backup, then the odds are good that the sat/channel/transponder data in those 3 .dat files is corrupted, and if you replace the default DVBS.dat file with a now corrupted file, it could mean that the box couldn't recover from errors. I think replacing that backup file might be safe if you're pretty sure that you have files that aren't corrupted, however I think that it's safer, and not much more trouble, to just make routine copies of the 3 .dat files, perhaps once a week, then when the Azbox decides things are corrupted, and reverts to the default backup, you can just replace all three files with the good working files you had from a week ago, and not loose too much, and that process can be done in about 1 minute via FTP.

Anyway, if you have uncorrupted files, the Azbox will generally be pretty stable, and you won't observe problems like described above, and won't need to do the replacing of the DVBS.dat file, and if your files are corrupted and you need to replace that default file, then it isn't safe to replace it, because the file you'd be replacing it with is probably corrupted. So just save a backup. It's easy and safer.

I'd love to see a step by step for dummies on how to do this. If I knew how to do it, I'd create one with screenshots and everything.

Read these posts from earlier in the year. It works perfect. Fully updated Sat/Channel list and I even divided mine into C-Band and KU:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/azbox-discussion/209891-have-your-own-satlist.html

I've read that post but, I know nothing about linux or programming. That's why I said for dummies. When it says.....

using telnet make DISK1 writable:

mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /DISK1

That may as well be written in portuguese. I have no clue how to do what he just said.

if you create a known good dvbs.dat file you can place it in disk2_backup. the process has been posted. this way when you corrupt your satlist it defaults to your own list and not the euro list. it will also survive formatting the app area.

crackt out,.

Way back I tried the editor. Azedit 2880c. I did delete the old .dat files and replaced with new ones. I've even had some posters send me their own working files. Inevitably, the Azbox would reboot and back came all that garbage. I got so frustrated I quit using the editor. I was using a program called filezilla to replace those files. Maybe I wasn't using it quite correctly but, it did work to change things. Like I said though, that was only temporary. It would be nice if we got one good known program (say for instance everyone use filezilla or whatever proggy) to use then, there could be a step by step developed for beginners.

As of now, I have edited mine using the remote control only. It will be fine til I have to reboot or if I try to update FW. I know someone will say.. don't reboot then. I wish it were that simple. When I did it the other day, I was actually trying to help another poster. I ended up having to reboot and boom, all the garbage was back. Had to spend a couple of hours with the remote again getting back where I wanted it.

I would think if you just use the remote, it would be a known good working configuration. Is there a way to now save what I have as a good working dvbs.dat ??

well boomer. if you had maz. you could connect to your azbox. then open the telnet tab. copy and paste the portuguese line from above in the telnet window. then cd to DISK1/DISK2_backup and copy your dvbs.dat file there. after doing that when your satlist gets corrupt it will defaut to the list you copied to the backup.

crackt out,.

well boomer. if you had maz. you could connect to your azbox. then open the telnet tab. copy and paste the portuguese line from above in the telnet window. then cd to DISK1/DISK2_backup and copy your dvbs.dat file there. after doing that when your satlist gets corrupt it will defaut to the list you copied to the backup.

crackt out,.

I do have maz downloaded. I have never opened it. Like I said, I got so frustrated with the editor I gave up on it. Does maz work with FW version 5020?

So I wouldn't have to bother with filezilla either?

Last edited:
I know almost nothing about linux either. If you open the telnet window in Maz and type or paste in:

mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /DISK1

I then used maz to copy/transfer the specific files.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts