Status
Please reply by conversation.

kittyhas1000legs

That's a lot of claws!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Western Slope, CO
I was driving through town today when I noticed that the local Edward Jones took their dish out of service. Before I go there to ask if I can remove it, can anyone here tell me around how much these suckers weigh? It's a 1.8M fiberglass reflector with deicer on a pretty heavy-looking az/el mount. It's about ten feet up, so I have a feeling it would require two people on two ladders to carefully take down.

Of course we all love pictures, so here are a couple:
IMG_0302.JPG IMG_0303.JPG

It's about 100 - 130lbs just for the dish itself. The mount adds probably another 45lbs at least. You'll need a dish crane, or at least 4 people to safely get it down if 3 of you are on ladders.

I made a dish crane from an aluminum extension ladder and a comealong. But I had a tree behind my dish, and was able to use strapping to support the ladder at 3 spots as I placed it on a diagonal over the top of the dish. I then drilled holes in the top back of the dish backbrace, and put a 2" muffler clamp through it and double-nutted it. I then used that as the lift point for the comealong hook.

Last edited:
Dang. If that's the case, it's staying up there. EJ is still in business, so no demo crew will be there to help out. I don't have the resources to take it down, and my sister (who wants a dish for NHK) wouldn't want to pony up the cash for properly taking it down.

Two people could handle this on the ground, but absolutely not on ladders. Rent or hire a lightweight boom arm crane.

Agreed, definitely grab the pole. I would cut it off at the base then and as a courtesy to the business, grind smooth to concrete or below grade if gravel top layer.

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

No need for a "high wire" act. I took this one down from a Edward Jones office with just 1 helper. This one too was up on a massive 10' pole. I dug below grade at the base, cut the pipe about 2/3 across, then tied a rope to the dish and pulled it over with my vehicle, dropping it onto a bunch of cardboard boxes to cushion the fall.
Make the cut with a saws-all (bring extra blades) starting at the front side of the dish and pull it down so the back frame takes the impact. Dish and people were fine. You will need to remove the dish off the frame otherwise too heavy to transport. Scrap the frame and buy my AJAK H-H mount I have listed on http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/335720-AJAK-180-H-H-Motor-125.
The EJ office originally told me no, corporate doesn't want the liability. I then contacted the building owner and he wanted it gone big time. I got a call from EJ a day later with permission to take down!

EDIT: Make sure the rope is longer than the fall zone :)

Last edited:
Nobody is saying the name.... it is Prodelin 1,8m. Yes, in topicstarter case, 2 persons would be more than enough to get it down. As it was already said, cut the pipe near ground and just lower whole system down. Last summer I got 2 such dishes, and installed one of them by myself, alone. Great dishes.

I have also used Pixl's method with good results. Similar to what we used to do on the farm when falling trees near roads (a long rope from 3/4 way up the tree to the tractor to ensure it fell the right way).

It is all about planning and I think that it is important to stress "SAFE" removal. Two guys on ladders lifting a Prodelin 1.8 off the top of the pole and stepping down to the ground would likely not result in a safe or sane removal. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)