EHD capacity / priority question

bhelms

Retired & lovin' it!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 26, 2006
Central PA
(If this has been answered elsewhere, I apologize for the duplication; my quick search turned-up a lot of unrelated stuff.)

I have a 211 connected to a WD MBE 1TB drive, which has been working great for 2.5+ years. I am close to having it full so I'm constantly juggling programs, deleting some old stuff, protecting some, and hoping for the best as I delay the inevitable (pony-up for a second drive). My available HD time is showing less than 1 hour and has been at about that point (+/-) for months. (I realize that's an approximation based on high bit rate; I use it relatively.) Last night it was showing about 45 mins. left. I recorded a 2-hr HD movie and it appears to have recorded the whole thing (2:04 showing in the list, my default). It also captured another 1-hr HD program (old B&W TV show) I have in my schedule, I forgot about that one! I noticed the remaining HD time as-of this AM is now something like 1:45 !! Did the new recordings delete an older program(s) to free-up space? If so, is it a FIFO priority? In the past when I had insufficient time, like trying to record a football game, it would record what it could then give me a message stating that I had insufficient space to record the remainder, and terminate the recording at that point. I assumed that would happen last night if I exceeded the available space, but it looks like the system found more than enough !! The only difference would have been that I set a timer for the movie last night whereas for the football game I started the recording in real time.

Any insight is appreciated...!!

Remember that the predicted recording space is based on single-subchannel near-OTA HD recording of say 6000 MB/hr. Older MPEG-2 HD recordings are like 4000 MB/hr and current MPEG-4 HD runs 2400 MB or less with most about 1800. The real measure is in MB and not in hours. SD runs under 1000 MB/hr.
-Ken

Tks both.

Bigglesworth - I'll take note of my oldest non-protected recordings to see if those do indeed "push off" first. Those are 2+ years old. I guess if I haven't watched them yet, no loss...

Ken - tks for quantifying what I knew qualitatively...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)