EHD Does Not Accept Transfers

Layle

Original poster
May 3, 2012
California
I have a My Book Essential external drive that no longer accepts tranfers. Well, it says the transfer is complete, but when I check the drive the file is not there, and it's been deleted from my DVR. I've been struggling with this since January and have lost a number of one-time-only events. Dish tech support has been absolutely useless, finally telling me that it is a copyright issue, and WD came up with the same copyright theory. The thing is, it doesn't seem to hold water. The EHD sporadically accepts files from both recent and old television shows.

I have approximately 524 GB left of a 2 TB drive, but if I subtract my folders I have right around 1,000 files on the drive. Is there a limit to the storage configuration about which nobody at Dish knows? I don't want to purchase a new EHD unless I can be sure the files will go back to transferring.

Thanks! It would have been really peachy if Dish support had had a clue four months ago. They drive me bananas sometimes.

Just to be clear, no one else here is having "copyright issues" -- all files are transferring as long as there is room and the file quota has not been exceeded regardless of air date?

Then, a related question. WD suggested their Dish-specific EHD when they were trying to help me. Except it has only 1TB storage. Is there a problem if I just purchase another 2TB My Book?

I haven't hit that 999 event limit yet (which I understand applies to the internal disk as well), because I only have 1hr HD mostly MPEG-2 programs on mine.

Two workarounds for this dinky limitation: (1) You can use the receiver to delete unwanted shows and the invisible programs should show up again. Or (2) you can use Linux to move some of the programs elsewhere, again allowing the receiver to show you the remainder.

Well that possibly answers why a file reappeared and then vanished once again. I thought I was losing my mind. And, it gives me hope for the future, once I start clearing space. Thanks!

Well that possibly answers why a file reappeared and then vanished once again. I thought I was losing my mind...

You and everybody else who has hit that limit!

I wonder if the Hopper has a larger limit?

According to Dish's site the Hopper has 2TB, equivalent to an EHD if you buy that capacity, but towering over the 500GB of the 722k I have.

Last edited:
Right. This larger size makes it even more likely that customers will attempt to store over 999 events. :eek:

We shall see... If/when one of my Hoppers hits 999 recordings I'll know...

Btw OP, if you start removing events from the EHD, restoring or deleting, the shows that disappeared will start showing up again once it's back under 999 events.

Thanks, TheKrell mentioned that, but it's nice to have the confirmation! (The huge whoosh of air you heard was a sigh of relief. I lost, or vanished, a significant number of files at the beginning of the year.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)