EHD no longer working

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Djancda

Original poster
About a week ago I lost access to the external hard drive onmy 622, and I’m getting “The attached USB storage device needs to be reformattedto support DISH Network DVR functionality. All existing data on the device willbe erased”. This drive has been workingfine for the last 5 years and is full of content that I would like “verymuch” to keep. I call DISH support to reauthorize my 622s since under myaccount online shows EHD not enabled but 24 hours afterall is still the same. So my questions are:
Is there any way I can get the EHD to work without deletingthe content, (I already try rebooting and unplugging the system and that didnot work), I never used the EHD on the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] 622 but I guess will givethat a try. Also DISH offer to send a Tech if the reauthorization did not work(did not call them yet). Is there any other Way????
If I decide to have an onsite Tech stop by, I'm looking into transition to the new Hopper system. My question is, can the same EHD beused and the content recovered even with the new equipment???

Thanks in advance

Yes... Your EHD will work with a Hopper just fine. I had a 722 with EHD, moved to Hopper, and it went just fine.

Plug in ANOTHER drive (that's presently empty) that you KNOW is good. See if the receiver formats it, and if you are able to transfer a show to it.

This is just a test to see if it works. IF it does work, then your OLD ehd has probably gone bad. If it doesn't work, then try to plug it into the front USB port (if you are presently using the rear USB port) or vice-versa. See if that other usb port works, if it does work, the other port has gone bad.

Agree with primestar31. If the new disk works fine but the old one continues with this nonsense, try booting up a Linux LiveCD and attempt repair of the old one, followed by dragging and dropping the program folders in the DishArc folder from one disk to the other. I personally prefer doing this with a Scientific Linux 5.x LiveCD, but that's because I'm already familiar with Redhat Linux. Works great.

I have been having the same problem with my 722k. I had DIRT "re hit" my receiver three times and all of them did not work. I did not have another ehd to try to I bit the bullet and formatted the drive. However I got an error stating the format had fialed. I hooked the ehd to my pc and used the manage disk to delete the partitions, but did not format via windows. Hooked ehd back to 722k and it formatted the drive. After which I saved several programs onto it and even watched a few from the ehd. The next day went to access the ehd and I again got the dreaded "the attached usb drive needs to be formatted. I don't know if it is my ehd or some other bug. I have another e-mail into a Raymond to see if he can help.

Yes; it's trivial to copy the programs in the DishArc folder from one EHD to another using Linux. If you succeed in copying your bad disk to a newly receiver-formatted EHD, then go ahead and let the receiver reformat the original/bad one again. But frankly I think your EHD is failing.

My EHD looked like it was bad. It ended up being a bad power supply.

I bought a new one from Radio Shack and everything has been good for a couple of years.

IIRC Ubuntu does not come with a root account. So, if you use it to drag/drop, you almost certainly will have to go back and use the chown command to fix file ownership before the receiver can view/change the programs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)