EHD Spinning Up Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

docdaddy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
Birmingham, AL
I have the issue on my EHD (Hopper 3) where, when I first go to the EHD in my DVR list, and try to play a recording, I get the quick flash of the message "Spinning up" and then a black screen that doesn't go away. The only way I can get the program to play is to exit, then go back to the DVR list, choose sources, choose the EHD, then pick the program again and this time it will play.

Is there a faster way to get around this problem? That's a lot of button pushing just to play a recorded program on the EHD.

I have the issue on my EHD (Hopper 3) where, when I first go to the EHD in my DVR list, and try to play a recording, I get the quick flash of the message "Spinning up" and then a black screen that doesn't go away. The only way I can get the program to play is to exit, then go back to the DVR list, choose sources, choose the EHD, then pick the program again and this time it will play.

Is there a faster way to get around this problem? That's a lot of button pushing just to play a recorded program on the EHD.
That seems to be the way things are. I see it all the time.

Have you disabled sleep mode on your drive?

Happened to me once couple days ago when I was using the 4K Joey that is linked to the H3 that has the EHD attached. First time I have seen that happen, but I don't use the EHD that much. Wonder if it is an issue with U507!

Reactions: rmoore3d
Happened to me once couple days ago when I was using the 4K Joey that is linked to the H3 that has the EHD attached. First time I have seen that happen, but I don't use the EHD that much. Wonder if it is an issue with U507!
It has nothing to do with U507. It has been around for literally years...

Reactions: charlesrshell
For me this has been happening for a long time, way before 507 which still has not loaded to my H3. It does not happen all the time. I have tried to figure out what triggers the problem and have not been successful. I also have the sporadic problem that not all recordings on all EHDs are playable. If this happens, I can get them back with a reboot.

The hard drive issue is a well documented issue that has been around on both the hopper3 and the other hopper receivers running the carbon interface. I have 3 external hard drives connected to my two Hopper3 receivers. One is a Raid array. They all are Powered Western Digital drives and I specifically disabled sleep mode on the drives. They all have problems the first time a program is accessed. This problem did not occur until the new interface was released. It is a timing issue that Dish is aware of but they have not fixed. Most users don't reference material on their external drives so it is not often reported. One of these days Dish may fix the problem.

Be thankful that Dish has at least provided a spinup routine for these drives.

Back in the early days of EHDs, drives that had sleep mode could not be used with Dish receivers at all without editing the firmware of the drive to never enter sleep mode.

Now at least the Dish receiver will awaken the drive, then you exit and retry and it works.

Perhaps Dish is working to put a 5 second delay in their routine for accessing the EHD that will allow the drive to spin up before the OS tries to read it and the read fails, of course then they get complaints abut the 5 second delay.

Back in the early days of EHDs, drives that had sleep mode could not be used with Dish receivers at all without editing the firmware of the drive to never enter sleep mode.

Now at least the Dish receiver will awaken the drive, then you exit and retry and it works.

Perhaps Dish is working to put a 5 second delay in their routine for accessing the EHD that will allow the drive to spin up before the OS tries to read it and the read fails, of course then they get complaints abut the 5 second delay.

Yea I had a USB to eithernet Adaptor so I could put the external hard drive in the basement it was so loud.

That was only to extend the usb cable, but turn USB into a network.

It was a little sluggish but it did work

With the old interface before carbon the drive was able to play content on my external drives almost immediately. You do not need a 5 second delay. The problem is not with the speed of the drives. The new interface has no problem transferring programs to and from the external hard drive. The problem is more likely the control of the USB port with the new software. Dish probably has this bug as a low priority fix since only a small percentage of users utilize an external drive.

And unless they improve support, it’ll STAY a small percentage of users.

With the old interface before carbon the drive was able to play content on my external drives almost immediately. You do not need a 5 second delay. The problem is not with the speed of the drives. The new interface has no problem transferring programs to and from the external hard drive. The problem is more likely the control of the USB port with the new software. Dish probably has this bug as a low priority fix since only a small percentage of users utilize an external drive.

Somebody did not read what I wrote.

The 5 second delay is to allow the EHD to spin up, it has nothing to do with the speed of the drive, nor control of the USB port.

If the drive has gone to sleep, even on my PC it takes a few seconds for Windows to spin up the drive to be readable.

I can actually hear my Seagate 1TB drive connected to my Windows 10 computer by my drive dock spin up when I access it after being idle for sometime.

If the Dish receiver does not wait for the drive to spin up after it is qued, an error is trown, hence the need to exit and retry.

The same type of error happens even in Windows10 if I try to delete a file from the drive while it is idle by clicking delete then enter - the delete is missed and the enter is seen and Windows plays the file.

Somebody did not read what I wrote.

The 5 second delay is to allow the EHD to spin up, it has nothing to do with the speed of the drive, nor control of the USB port.

If the drive has gone to sleep, even on my PC it takes a few seconds for Windows to spin up the drive to be readable.

I can actually hear my Seagate 1TB drive connected to my Windows 10 computer by my drive dock spin up when I access it after being idle for sometime.

If the Dish receiver does not wait for the drive to spin up after it is qued, an error is trown, hence the need to exit and retry.

The same type of error happens even in Windows10 if I try to delete a file from the drive while it is idle by clicking delete then enter - the delete is missed and the enter is seen and Windows plays the file.

With the old interface, programs on my external drives played in less than 2 seconds. I don't know about Seagate drives but all of my Western Digital drives spin up and respond within 1 sec. This is both on computers and when connected to the old dish interface.if it takes 5 sec for your Seagate to respond that is ver slow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)