EHD used on 211K, now want to use on PC with no luck

MFA

Original poster
May 10, 2016
North America
hey guys, I used to have Dish in 2015 and used 211ks with EHD, one being a Seagate 1TB HDD and the other a Verbatim 1TB HDD.

I want to use them on my PC or Laptop (one using Win 7, other using Vista) and both do not recognize them. They both spin (I can hear it) and the LED lights come on. But nothing.

They DO show up in Computer management but it will not allow me to do anything.

I know when Dish reformatted them, its to a LINUX software... does that effect things?

I do not want the shows off of them. Just the HDDs to work.

Have you tried reformatting them? I use a reformatted former 211K WD "MyBook" 2TB drive for backups on both Windows and Linux PC's.

hey guys, I used to have Dish in 2015 and used 211ks with EHD, one being a Seagate 1TB HDD and the other a Verbatim 1TB HDD.

I want to use them on my PC or Laptop (one using Win 7, other using Vista) and both do not recognize them. They both spin (I can hear it) and the LED lights come on. But nothing.

I know when Dish reformatted them, its to a LINUX software... does that effect things?

You have to go into Administrator/Disk Management to reformat the drive.

The CLI part of me says launch an Command window as Administrator and run DiskPart. "List Disks" will show the drives on your system; you should be able to identify your EHD by its size. Note the number, issue a "Select Disk #" (where # is the number of the disk from the List Disks command). Once you've done that, type in "Clean" and you'll wipe out all Partitioning and MBR/GPT information. In other words, a Clean Disk.

Do make sure you don't accidentally Select your system disk, or Very Bad Things will happen if you Clean your Boot Device!

After that, diskmgmt can be used to partition and format the EHD using a GUI, or DiskPart can be used to do it the Real Computer User way. Since I'm on my Mac at home and I don't have all the DiskPart commands memorized, I won't write out instructions here.

Get a ubuntu live DVD and see if you can read the disks running linux ...

Linux/Ubuntu can read more formats than Winblows.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the SatelliteGuys app!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts