Eldon OTA Problem solved

BOTWHORT

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Look someone forgot to put an antenna on Eldon's roof!

Tried to post this on DBS, but seem to be losing their sense of humor, and buggers slimed me.

Ummmm ... In here (http://www.eldon.co.uk) it nicely says to
email commercial@eldon.co.uk with your specific needs.
Maybe all you 921 owners should?

Attachments

• eldon.jpg
    eldon.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 161
Right, should I work on the OTA guide or off down pub with me mates?
I'll have a pint of Boddy's !!!!

Attachments

• swaredev.jpg
    swaredev.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 174
Emailed this to Eldon
To the folks at Eldon,
A hearty “Well Done!”
You are the very first winner of the 2004
“Darwin Award for New Products.”
And the winning product
Why the Dish 921 of course.
We on the judging committee were particular impressed by some of the more cunning strategies that your team has used to win this prestigious award.

• 5,921 bug reports , and the product hasn’t started shipping yet. This is a record!
• No OTA channel listings, ( A brilliant nod and a wink to the very 1 st VCR’s )
• Crafty releases of steadily worst software downloads.
• Coining the phrase “The Grey Screen of Death” you would have lost points on this one if you had managed to colour the screen blue.
• Driving the consumer crazy by having them add local channels and then wiping out all their hard work with a sneaky software release in the dead of night!
I commend you and feel you all deserve a night out getting roaring drunk! But as Yorkshiremen this isn’t really anything special.

Well done , keep it up for one more year and you never know!
Bring on the 922!!!!

Look at Eldon's jobs page and I think their problem becomes obvious.
http://www.eldon.co.uk/jobs/index.html

Oh - and as for them not having any antennas ... Ya can't see 110/119 from there - maybe not even 61.5. And of course, OTA there is a totally different system than ours, so therefore worthless for 'real-world' testing.

Where are the test engineers? :confused:

Seems to me they have quite a need for engineers...but no job postings for testers...aha! Maybe that is how their software updates are getting out the door so buggy!

They could higher high school kids to test for 2 hours every day after school and catch at least 60% of what is slipping past them. Most would probably do it for free if they set up a few free arcade games in the area...

The couldnt test, they are in England where HDTV does not exist and there are no OTA Digital Broadcasts. They are going by Tech Specs of how HDTV is supposed to work.

Unfortunately, I don't know any broadcasters here in the US following the specs to the letter, with most actually winging it to get their Digital Signals online.

Scott Greczkowski said:
The couldnt test, they are in England where HDTV does not exist and there are no OTA Digital Broadcasts. They are going by Tech Specs of how HDTV is supposed to work.

Unfortunately, I don't know any broadcasters here in the US following the specs to the letter, with most actually winging it to get their Digital Signals online.

I’m not sure if that is true, we have had digital TV in England for years, not sure what the standards are. Even the old regular broadcasts were at a finer quality than American TV , Maybe someone knows the specs, and whether this is the PAL format.
Sky TV is everywhere (Rupert Murdock) although not sure if they broadcast any HD over Sky.
Most TV's sold in England are widescreen, and most shows on terrestrial are made in 16:9 .
The picture though does get very fuzzy the more you watch it. I resent the fact that my brother equates this to the amount of Boddingtons consumed over the course of the evening. Also a lot of my relatives still smoke like they are trying to keep warm, which casts a sagging fog in the rooms leading to a funny feeling all the shows are old Sherlock Holmes movies.
No, the problem lies with Eldon being in Yorkshire, I’m a Lancashire lad ( Wallace and Grommet ) and we went to war with those Yorkshire yobboos, wouldn’t trust them geezers with an electric kettle!

If I recall the EU uses DVB-T for it's digital and "high def" offerings. That being said I'm sure they have equiptment to output reference HD singals. Perhaps even some captured OTA signals as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts