Electric lawn mowers / snow blowers...opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanewalker

Overall, an O.K. Guy
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 15, 2005
KC/MO!
So we move into our first house May 16. And, while I've been mowing our 4-unit condo's small yard the past 4 years, this will be MY yard for the first time, and I'll be needing the necessary gear.

So, I read up in Consumer Reports and was curious about the electric mowers and snow blowers. Didn't get my hybrid vehicle, like the idea of no gas/oil mix (esp. w/ the snow blower) or real engine/starter maintenance issues-- and since our new yard and driveway, while ample, aren't that huge, an electric seems like it would fit the bill nicely. I was looking at these models for mower and blower on Amazon (which I'd be able to use to get free prime shipping and no sales tax, which eliminates the 'electric premium' it seems):

Amazon.com: Black & Decker 19-Inch 24-Volt Cordless Mulching Lawn Mower #CMM1200: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: Toro 1800 18-Inch 12 Amp Electric Curve Snow Thrower #38025: Home Improvement

Opinions? Advice?

I have an electric mower (might be the one you're looking at), and an electric snow blower (definitely the one you're looking at).

For our small (1200 sq ft?) back yard, the electric is fine. Or so my wife tells me. I do the front with a rider.

The snow blower is all I need. I'd say up to about 6 inches, tops. You'd be ahead to run it early on after it snows, before it starts to settle in denser or worse, start to semi-melt into a harder or sloppy mass. I use it for the sidewalk around my corner lot, and for a path into the street to the car. And the driveway. If it's too heavy for this snow blower, I don't need to get into work that bad. Of course, snow is not a big problem around here.

And my electric tiller works just fine, too. Patience.

I really dislike Infernal Combustion Engines, and look forward to their demise.

I just bought the B&D corded 20" mower last night. I used one for years until we had a 1/2 acre lot. Now we are back on a more modest lot and it makes sense again.

I looked at the Remington cordless model, as that one uses Lithium insteads of NiMh. However, when I looked at it over at Menards last night, two things turned me off. First the corded one cost $200 vs $450 for the cordless Remington. Second, the battery added at least 20 pounds to the weight of the unit. Since we have some hilly terrain, I didn't want to deal with pushing the added weight.

There is definitely a learning curve to using a corded mower, but once you get the hang of it, it is actually less hassle than most mowers. You can start mowing earlier in the day because it is quiet. No gas or oil to buy. Maintenance is keeping the blade sharp and occassionally hosing the dried grass out of the bottom.

You need to learn to always mow away from the power plug and to avoid stringing the cord through the trees, but once you figure that out, it is easy. Finally, when you see the kids left something laying in your path, you just let go of the trigger, pick it up and then restart by grabbing the trigger again. Much less hassle than a gas unit.

edit: here is the amazon link for the Remington Amazon.com: Remington PowerMower 17-Inch 60-Volt Cordless/Corded Electric Combination Lawn Mower #MPS6017A: Home Improvement

I note that Amazon says Lead Acid for the battery. Makes more sense, but I did see Lithium elsewhere.

Yeah, I didn't think about comparative weight of the B&D cordless electric mower due to the battery...wonder how it compares to a similar gas mower? It isn't self-propelled like the gas Toro I was looking at...but I don't have a hilly yard (still, would be nice to have an easy push).

I know they kept the battery out of the snow blower (corded--and how does THAT work in the snow, I wonder?), for just those weight considerations. Issue w/ the snow blower is, we tend to get walloped at least once a season (7-8"plus in one go)--I'd like to feel comfortable that the thing can handle it.

There's another brand I keep seeing advertised on TV, but I can't think of the name.

I know they kept the battery out of the snow blower (corded--and how does THAT work in the snow, I wonder?), for just those weight considerations. Issue w/ the snow blower is, we tend to get walloped at least once a season (7-8"plus in one go)--I'd like to feel comfortable that the thing can handle it.
I bought the Toro 1800 Power Curve used off of ebay 3.5 years ago. We've had plenty of snow here since then, and my snow thrower has handled all the big snowfalls (it doesn't do so well with the frozen rain mixed in with the snow, obviously, as it's plastic). It turns out that mine is 10-11 years old, but it's still in good shape.

It will blow "dryer" snow the expected 30' and a bit less for the wetter snows, but it still works well. I try to wait for the snow to stop, unless 18" is forecast when I'd do 2 shifts, but I do like to get to it before it really freezes up. Also with the wetter snows, sometimes the snow will get stuck, but you just have to reach down and scoop it out if that happens.

It's not so good on the snowplow leavings at the end of the driveway, that's just too compacted/frozen. I usually chop that up with a shovel and then use the snow thrower.

I just got an extra-long, outdoor extension cord and move that with me. I think it's easier than dealing with gas/oil mixtures, etc. And it's always easy to start.:D

I think I'm sold on the Toro electric snow blower. May have to wait to buy (lots of costs hitting me now), but it's in my 'wish list'.

The mower will be a near-term purchase, though. Have to maintain the yard, make myself a good new neighbor and all. Anyone used the Black & Decker I posted above?

I think I'm sold on the Toro electric snow blower. May have to wait to buy (lots of costs hitting me now), but it's in my 'wish list'.

The mower will be a near-term purchase, though. Have to maintain the yard, make myself a good new neighbor and all. Anyone used the Black & Decker I posted above?

Nope, but the chassis looks the same as the corded one I bought. My comment there is that the chute to the grass bag clogs very easily, at least on some wet first cut grass that I did yesterday. MY older Toro didn't seem to clog as easily and was a lot easier to clean it out if it did. I will probably use mine as a mulcher assuming I stay ahead of it.

the only think i hated about the corded electric is the darn cord, kept running over it and if you have trees, in the grass area always fighting the cord.
but like many i prefer the electric from the motor cos of the lack of noise and maint required, there's basically no maint with electric.

What i have been looking for is an electric hover mower, in the uk they were easy to find, i cant find any here.

It turns out the electric mower we have is a HomeLite 24v cordless.

the only think i hated about the corded electric is the darn cord, kept running over it and if you have trees, in the grass area always fighting the cord.
but like many i prefer the electric from the motor cos of the lack of noise and maint required, there's basically no maint with electric.

What i have been looking for is an electric hover mower, in the uk they were easy to find, i cant find any here.

Eastman Industries :: HoverMower :: Eastman Commerical. It says write to info@hovermower.com for a dealer.

You were probably using the Flymo. It appears they don't have a NA distributor.

The Sharper Image used to sell one, but it isn't in the current catalog.

Shopzilla - Best prices on lawn mower hover, Dog Supplies in Pet Supplies

We Americans tend to be pretty conservative on trying new concepts. Electric mowers are still considered too radical to be mainstream :)

My god, I'm a radical! Does that mean I get long hair? How about- any hair? ;)

Eastman Industries :: HoverMower :: Eastman Commerical. It says write to info@hovermower.com for a dealer.

You were probably using the Flymo. It appears they don't have a NA distributor.

The Sharper Image used to sell one, but it isn't in the current catalog.

Shopzilla - Best prices on lawn mower hover, Dog Supplies in Pet Supplies

We Americans tend to be pretty conservative on trying new concepts. Electric mowers are still considered too radical to be mainstream :)

Thanks, i will check it out.

It was black and decker, which is why i was surprised, but used a flymo too.
Amazon.co.uk: Black and Decker Gx302c Hover Lawnmower 30cm.1150w: DIY & Tools

It turns out the electric mower we have is a HomeLite 24v cordless.

I was looking at the HomeLite cordless at Home Depot today.

It was one of Consumer Reports 'Best Buy' picks...but I'm still torn between that and their other Best Buy, the gas Toro Recycler 20066, which got a stellar write-up and nothing but great user reviews. I want something reliable I can count on for years, y'know? And while the cordless snow blower has lots of usability perks over a gas counterpart, I'm still not sold on the real benefits of an electric mower of questionable build quality and battery life.

I just bought a corded Black & Decker unit and used it just now. Other than the cord being a damned PITA it was great! Plenty of power and CHEAP! $200 after rebate from Lowes.

I need to get used to allowing the motor to start and stop. There is no need to make it keep running. Starting is as easy as literally flipping a switch. :)

I vowed I would never have a gas powered mower. :)

See ya
Tony

I just bought a corded Black & Decker unit and used it just now. Other than the cord being a damned PITA it was great! Plenty of power and CHEAP! $200 after rebate from Lowes.

I need to get used to allowing the motor to start and stop. There is no need to make it keep running. Starting is as easy as literally flipping a switch. :)

I vowed I would never have a gas powered mower. :)

See ya
Tony

Seriously, the cord gets easier each week. Aftetr a few weeks you have your pattern established and don't even think of it. Biggest pain is in winding it back up at the end.

I have an old Lawn Boy electric Mower. It works great, I use it on occasion, just as good as the old 2 cycle lawn boy mowers, it is at least 30 yrs old and still works, my other 2 lawn boys ( 2cycle gas motor) are just as old and still work great.

I used to have the corded Black and Decker, I sold it on the Garage sale, I hated it, made clumps in damp grass, lacked on power and never gave a great cut even with a new blade. I am gonna stick with my gas mowers.

As for the electric snowblower forget it, I had borrowed that similar toro and it stunk in the wet snow. I have a toro ccr 1000 and it works great even in the wet snow, It has a 2 cycle enginge and I dont mind mixing the gas and oil as I hate changing oil on any equipment. It has tons of power and really throws the snow.

I want to move to somewhere where it NEVER snows, or at least cant lay for more than a few minutes.....

kissimmee florida kinda weater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)