Encore HD discontinued on March 31

johnps

Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
Seattle, WA
After finally being able to get back on the Voom web site I noticed this when checking out the channel guide line up. http://www.voom.com/use_it/channel_lineup.jsp

*STARZ! Encore will be discontinuing Encore HD East and West feeds as of March 31, 2005.

I am wondering if this is Voom discontinuing the service or Starz discontinuing the Encore HD service.

Sean Mota said:
Nope... Cable also does.

What cable companies carry it, I know Comcast does not.

Sean Mota said:
At AVS I saw one poster who had it - DAVEFI

Dave does not have it, he has Comcast

Originally posted by DaveFi
Starz finally put their Encore-HD schedule up and apparently they have much more HD than Starz-HD does. Besides that, it's free, or a minimal cost to most providers that carry it. Ain't that a kick in the teeth?

If you have Encore-HD there's absolutely no reason to have Starz-HD. I'm really hoping Comcast picks it up soon.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=484180

Sean Mota said:
Thanks for that correction... Then it is only on VOOM and C-Band as far as I know

That explains why they would cancel it. They can just add the movies that would have shown in HD to Starz HD.

Why don't the premium channels do ALL HD like UHD? Nothing says HBO-HD has to have the same programming as HBO. Just makes sense, especially when the SD channel is showing the same thing as the HD channel is showing ALSO in SD. :confused:

Oh well, no biggie for me since I don't subscribe... just saying, thats all...

-John

jgantert said:
Why don't the premium channels do ALL HD like UHD? Nothing says HBO-HD has to have the same programming as HBO. Just makes sense, especially when the SD channel is showing the same thing as the HD channel is showing ALSO in SD. :confused:

Oh well, no biggie for me since I don't subscribe... just saying, thats all...

-John
Couldn't agree more. I feel the same way about ESPN-HD/SD showing the same stuff. I don't need anything to be on two channels at once -- unless one is actually in HD! If you have the HD version, why would you ever watch the SD version of a channel?

TheTimm said:
Couldn't agree more. I feel the same way about ESPN-HD/SD showing the same stuff. I don't need anything to be on two channels at once -- unless one is actually in HD! If you have the HD version, why would you ever watch the SD version of a channel?

Wait just one second... NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do NOT want specialized channels in HD. I would much rather prefer discoveryhd died and the discovery channel was an all HD channel. I want to see HBO's regular schedule in HD as well as discovery, showtime etc. I want the sopranos and deadwood in HD and at their usual time slots. I do NOT want someone picking out a few specific shows and shooting them in HD and spoon feeding it to me at special times on a special channel. I want the whole Damn channel!!! The problem with discoveryhd and others is that if the specialized content were any good then it would be offered in SD to bring in ratings. Well it isnt that compelling but they fill up a special HD channel with it and call it discoveryhd? Bullsh!t. Kill it and give me the regular channel in HD with the better content.

vurbano said:
Wait just one second... NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do NOT want specialized channels in HD. I would much rather prefer discoveryhd died and the discovery channel was an all HD channel.
Even if your version of the discovery channel only actually showed one show a day in HD, and the rest of the programs were in SD? You'd still just want it to mirror the regular discovery channel and be called an HD channel? That's pretty much the way it is with ESPN-HD. Most of the time they're showing the same stuff that's on the regular channel -- and a few times a week they throw us a bone by showing a game in HD. (Yes, I know SportsCenter is in HD, but most of the highlights are not.) And now with ESPN2-HD, it's getting even worse. They'e now splitting their slim HD offerings between two channels, one of which hardly anybody gets. I'd rather see one HD ESPN, where everything they broadcast is in HD. You could still see all the SD crap on the SD channels.
vurbano said:
I want to see HBO's regular schedule in HD as well as discovery, showtime etc. I want the sopranos and deadwood in HD and at their usual time slots. I do NOT want someone picking out a few specific shows and shooting them in HD and spoon feeding it to me at special times on a special channel. I want the whole Damn channel!!! The problem with discoveryhd and others is that if the specialized content were any good then it would be offered in SD to bring in ratings. Well it isnt that compelling but they fill up a special HD channel with it and call it discoveryhd? Bullsh!t. Kill it and give me the regular channel in HD with the better content.
I understand what you're saying and it's not that I disagree with it really. It makes sense. But it just doesn't make sense to me that all these "HD" channels show so damned much SD programming. Maybe there's a compromise to be found somewhere, wherein they show the programs in HD at their regularly scheduled times and instead of SD filler material, they show the "specialized content" you mentioned. All the SD stuff would still be available on the SD channel. I guess I just don't see the sense in having the same thing broadcast in SD on two different channels. As far as killing TDC-HD and giving us the regular channel in HD -- sure, sounds great. But until they actually have all (or even most) of the programs in HD it's not realistic. Until then I'd rather have specialized content in HD than two channels showing the same SD.

I have just spoke with Eric Becker from Starz who confirmed that Starz is pulling the plug on Encore HD (East & West) not VOOM.

Starz hopes to relaunch Encore HD in the future when bandwidth opens up on cable and satellite services.

Again VOOM is not pulling the plug on Encore HD, Starz is.

I am very disappointed by this. Encore HD had alot of older movies they were showing like THE THING and a couple of others. It was a nice throw in to the Starz Pack. If VOOM is around in April Im not going to pay 15 bucks extra a mth for StarzHD...it simply isnt worth it. Im wondering if VOOM will lower the mthly add on fee from 15 to 10 bucks for the Starz pack now that EncoreHD is gone. I do realize that what Im asking is the last thing on Vooms mind right now.

I was watching Pirates Of tHE Carribean last night on EncoreHD .....Im going to miss this ch. I think Im going to write to Starz and tell them how unhappy I am. I actually find myself watching Encore more than Strarz. Not that writing will make a difference. But they should know that because of them dropping Encorehd, Im going to drop the Strrz pack.

Except Pirates Of The Pirates Of The Caribbean was not in HD, it is a up-convert.

This will make people think that HD is not successful if HD channels start dropping off as Encore is doing. How do they expect HD to gain momentum if they drop them?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts