End of Life Receivers

Anyone remember the 712/921 and I think 71/7200 swap outs?They didn't waste anytime on that.The caveat being,they were forced by Tivo.I think it's more of a money issue,therefore no huge rush to do the upgrades now.

I remember the 721 swapout. Some reported them still working many months later after the deadline but eventually they shut them all down. I loved the interface of that receiver and it was my first dual tuner receiver. That was a great receiver. They forced leased receivers on us (522) even though we had purchased the 721. Now they have it listed on the account as owned instead of leased. I have a 722 which I have had for a while that I like quite a bit as well. Didn't get a Hopper as I figured I would let them work the bugs out, they charge more for it each month and what I have works well but am intrigued with what the Hopper offers.

I do not believe Dish will activate these units.

You might try contacting Dish directly an see if they can be exchanged for usable receivers.

I don't think Dish will exchange for boxes not currently activated - but you have nothing to lose to try. They'll just activate the replacement boxes if this works and start the monthly fees.

I remember the 721 swapout. Some reported them still working many months later after the deadline but eventually they shut them all down. I loved the interface of that receiver and it was my first dual tuner receiver. That was a great receiver. They forced leased receivers on us (522) even though we had purchased the 721. Now they have it listed on the account as owned instead of leased. I have a 722 which I have had for a while that I like quite a bit as well. Didn't get a Hopper as I figured I would let them work the bugs out, they charge more for it each month and what I have works well but am intrigued with what the Hopper offers.

Yep, I think the 721 was the first one to have the upper left hand corner display of the program in progress while you scanned the EPG. I loved it.

And yes, they HAVE worked out most of the Hopper series bugs.
Too bad they've introduced more, and unfixed others......

Yep, I think the 721 was the first one to have the upper left hand corner display of the program in progress while you scanned the EPG. I loved it.

And yes, they HAVE worked out most of the Hopper series bugs.
Too bad they've introduced more, and unfixed others......

I don't know of many people that had the 721,that didn't like the gui.I would love to see Dish at least use some of those features again.

I remember the 721 swapout. Some reported them still working many months later after the deadline but eventually they shut them all down.

I must be the luckiest SOB; I only had 1 active (& original) 721, & I had ZERO problems with it. (I also had a 501 I bought off someone used, that I also NEVER had a problem with)
Sadly, I had a 2nd 721 I bought off e-bay brand new in the box, that I was keeping as a back-up, just in case my 1st 721 crooked. Because I hadn't dreamed they would shut them down SO soon (at least to me) I ended up having to junk that virgin 721...sad. :mad:

I remember the 7100 DishPlayer days. It was nice getting the news on the screen back then the way it done it. I remember the audio some that it played while you viewed the news and events and a few of the games on it as well. It was really nice in its time.

I remember the 7100 DishPlayer days. It was nice getting the news on the screen back then the way it done it. I remember the audio some that it played while you viewed the news and events and a few of the games on it as well. It was really nice in its time.

Until the Microsoft vs DISH fight began , then it was RMA about every other week for a while there. I finally gave up and went with the 501 in place of it when it hit the market.

The MGEG 4 transition continues.

There are some ancient receivers out there that Dish will totally deactivate by Feb 1, swapping them out for the 211K.

Models are 111, 1000, 1500, 3000, 3500, 4000 & 4500.

[/QUOTE

Official as of March 31. These boxes are deactivated.

The MGEG 4 transition continues.

There are some ancient receivers out there that Dish will totally deactivate by Feb 1, swapping them out for the 211K.

Models are 111, 1000, 1500, 3000, 3500, 4000 & 4500.

[/QUOTE

Official as of March 31. These boxes are deactivated.

So what other models of receivers are currently active that cannot handle 8PSK? I would think that now that those are all deactivated we are getting closer to converting QPSK to 8PSK on WA.

There can be a difference between end-of-life and obsolete. End-of-life means that existing connected receivers will no longer function, while obsolete means that while they won't activate additional receivers, existing receivers will continue to work. At least, that's how I understand it.

There can be a difference between end-of-life and obsolete. End-of-life means that existing connected receivers will no longer function, while obsolete means that while they won't activate additional receivers, existing receivers will continue to work. At least, that's how I understand it.

100% accurate.

As to what other models that are still working and don't support 8psk.Off the top of my head...2700,2800,3700,3800,3900,4700,4900.

As to what other models that are still working and don't support 8psk.Off the top of my head...2700,2800,3700,3800,3900,4700,4900.

Wow...that is a lot more than I thought. I thought maybe it was one or two model that was left out there.

My first Dish receiver was the 4900. I also have a 111. (Neither are activated, and apparently they're going into the trash.) The 4900 cannot demodulate 8PSK, yet the 111 can. Go figure.

Reducing code base.

How many "4 digit" models are out there still? DK, but I'll bet less than a quarter million. Probably a LOT less, maybe a few tens of thousands.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I can't recall,does the 301 work with 8psk?I'm thinking it doesn't.Either way there are still quite a few old models working on the western arc.Dish doesn't seem to be in a big hurry to swap them out.

thekrell,our first dish receiver was a 2700,afaik it still works,at least it did prior to replacing it.Got it in the closet just in case lol.My mom started with a 3000,my wife's aunt with a model 1000.Both of those are boat anchors now.Almost forgot,my wife's now deceased uncle started with a 4000 and 5000.I thought the uhf remote was the coolest thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts